What Can You Eat Without Bolusing For?

i need to bolus for everything (practically). i need to bolus for all proteins, fats, and, of course, straight out carbs. if i even look at food, i need to bolus.

when i was first diagnosed, i was taught that i did not have to bolus for proteins or fats at all. and this worked for me for a little while. but, the longer i was D, i became to need to bolus for anything i put in my mouth. i just look at food sideways, and i need insulin.

whats your story?

We consider cucumbers to be a “free” food.

4 Likes

i can eat cucumbers, too. also, if i dont use vinegar in my salad dressing but just use really yummy olive oil, i dont need to bolus. its really a treat to not have any IOB after eating.

2 Likes

Meaning you would bolus for vinegar? I never considered that but it sounds unexpected?

Peanuts with ONE can of light beer, a zero carb salad, or a pickle are the only snacks I’ve zeroed in on that let me skip a bolus. If I am already low-ish and trending flat, some of the Kind bars or some beef jerky will be OK with no bolus. Anything else, a significant BG rise is pretty standard unless bolus.

1 Like

my vinegar preference is Balsamic, which has quite a bit of sugar in it (made out of grapes, right :blush: ) you just need to look on the label, b/c each brand has a diff amount of “carbs” in it per tsp.

1 Like

Makes sense.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

yup.

Pickled egg. Gives a little bump but really not enough to bother with a bolus for.

2 Likes

i need to bolus for eggs :frowning: not so much for only egg whites, though.

1 Like

I don’t bolus for protein and fat, but I think I should learn to. The times I’ve tried I’ve just gone low. So I tend to not bolus for them and then make up for it with corrections. But even eggs and bacon, which have minimal carbs, are something I do tend to do a one unit bolus for. So I’m pretty sure I need to bolus for everything, especially when eating low carb.

1 Like

Cheeses, which are pretty much my favorite thing. Oh yeah and wine.

2 Likes

when i add fat to foods, i need to use a dual bolus of say 50/50% over 2 hours, or 40/60% over 2 hours, or 25/75% over three hours. depends on how much fat and how large a meal it is. all diff sorts of food (pizza, dark meat chicken, steak/hamburgers,etc)

1 Like

I really only bolus for meals or snacks greater than 10g carbs. Never had to bolus for protein or fat, just carbs.

Once in a while after a low carb meal or snack I’ll have to correct an hour later, but that doesn’t happen often.

2 Likes

Wow, so you can eat 10 grams of carbs and not experience a spike? I definitely can’t do that.

1 Like

What would an example of a spike be on 10 carbs for you? (ie - what increase of BG typically?)

1 Like

my god are you lucky!!! whats your TDD ? that sounds like a dream. and hows your A1c?

1 Like

Probably rising from maybe 6 mmol/L to 10-11 mmol/L. So not a huge spike, but outside my target range.

1 Like

whats your target range?

Similar - perhaps a bit lower of a bump but ballpark. 1 unit would be a typical dose for us.
Obviously adjusted based on whatever else is going on and where the BG is and the direction and what type of food and blah blah blah

1 Like