Flat line, but that's not the point

In fact, this is a normal curve.

1 Like

Hey - I saw this is a movie so I know it works.

We just take Doc and put him on a stretcher next to my daughter. We run a line from his arm to her arm. Put like a fuel filter in the middle to filter out the incompatibilities.
BAM !!!

My daughter gets the same cure!!!

It works for the X-Men - right?

3 Likes

So much for the normal curve.
This is today so far

Boo!!! I woke up hoping you were having breakfast at a buffet somewhere. For all of us!

1 Like

@Irish Just so you’re as depressed as I am, here’s yesterday. Note how the C/I is back under 1 due to the massive lunch corre tion I had to make.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. It was almost like a ten day vacation.

One thing I learned is that I was probably talking too large a dose of basal. So I’m going to try staying at 28u bid and see what happens (that’s down from 36 u/bid)

Retrospectively, I also think a big part of this was that inadvertently I had reduced carb intake to less than 75g/day during this period.

That 36g for lunch on the graph was miscalculated. I forgot to add in the oatmeal raisin cookie at 21g. So what seems to have broken things was a 57g lunch.

1 Like

Are you Type 1 or Type 2, docslotnick? I’m sorry I don’t know your history, but your doses sound more like Type 2. I can’t imagine a Type 1 going 2 days without bolusing. Have you had a recent c-peptide to determine how much insulin your body is producing?

1 Like

His tag says Type 1.
IMHO that is what makes these graphs so funky looking.

Although his most recent graph of “forgotten cookie” (ha ha ha) looks a whole lot more typical.

1 Like

Hi @zoelula2! He is a T1 and has been for 36 years, but developed insulin resistance in the past few years. So he basically has both characteristics.

1 Like

Ah, that explains the doses. But still strange to be able to go two days with no boluses. The basal must be really high. I wonder if perhaps the insulin resistance has been lowered somewhat - weight loss?

But what seems so extraordinary about these lines over the last couple of weeks for @docslotnick is that he hasn’t had an abundance of lows. So his basal must not have been too high.

1 Like

And normally he requires about 10u of bolus for a tic tac

1 Like

@zoelula2 Sorry for the late reply, wild travel weekend.
As @Michel said, I am a long time T1 and have developed pretty significant insulin resistance in the past 10-12 years.

I have concluded that my basal dosing was too high. The tracks that I posted pretty well confirm that. As was mentioned earlier, it’s likely if I had not eaten any carbs my Bg would likely have been driven very low by the excessive basal.

I was diagnosed well before c peptides were even recognized much less tested for. I’ve never had a test, and am a bit reluctant to do so because if my C peptide is too high my insurance for the Dexcom will probably stop.

In any event, I have cut my basal down 33% and things are starting to get back to usual. Also, I have determined that I seen to have a “carb threshold”, exceeding which will cause me to have to take much more bolus insulin.

So normal to me at this point is less basal and lower carbs at each meal.

1 Like

@Irish I didn’t go low too often because I always would head it off with some carbs before it got there. But it seems it was pretty much basal driven.

@Sam Quit exaggerating. 10u would cover two tic tacs :cheeky:

3 Likes

Glad you figured it out. It is crazy how fast things change, even if they have been stable for awhile. It always comes back to balancing everything on the head of a pin.

2 Likes

I hope your wild weekend was a fun one! Thanks for the explanation;. I’m glad you figured it out. I too find there is a threshold of carbs beyond which my I:C ratio and the resulting BG just isn’t reliable. I’ve been sliding into a bit higher carb eating recently and have had a slow weight gain to prove it. So I’m ratcheting it back. Fortunately since it was 104 degrees here yesterday, lighter foods sound really good to me!
Zoe

I finally got to a new endo this morning.

But first, the reason I had to find a new endo. I was saddened to learn that my endocrinologist passed away on June 4. Dr. Charles A. Reasner II wasn’t just any endocrinologist. He was the founding director of the Texas Diabetes Institute at UTSA in 1999, wrote countless publications, and was considered one of the foremost diabetologists in Texas. He teamed with his best friend, Dr. Ralph Defronzo on several projects at UTSA, and was scheduled to return to TDA before his untimely death. I, for one, will sorely miss him. And he will be missed by the entire diabetes community in South Texas.

Anyway, my new endo had my problem figured out pretty quickly. I was simply taking too much insulin. Too large a part of my diet had been simple carbohydrates, caused by taking too much insulin and it just got into a vicious cycle.

He suggested I switch from Toujeo to Tresiba, and he also suggested I add metformin in addition to the SGLT-2 inhibitor I have been taking. He also confirmed my sense of a “carb threshold” that if exceeded would cause a large increase in the need for insulin.

Damn, and I thought I was cured :sob:

4 Likes

Are you referring to a one-time or an overall daily pattern?

In regards to one-time like a single large 100 carb drink we actually find it requires less insulin than a linear I:C would suggest. My thought is the body doesn’t absorb all the carbs when it all hits that fast. Not that we do many 100+ carb drinks but…

@Thomas Yes, all at the same time in one meal. For a 20g meal I might need 8 units. But for a 40g meal I would need about 25 units. He told me this is not uncommon.

Interesting. I definitely see the reverse.