Repeated Dexcom G6 failures

I have no problem being all day in 100℉+, the peak here is around 115℉ in the sun. The problem happens when I wear something in that temperature; then the sweat starts.

The only thing that I can think of offhand that will keep something attached to the skin in such conditions are stitches. I’ve got some results with one of the special cutout adhesive patches available on a well known online retailer that started selling cheap CDs. I’ve also used 3M Tegaderm patches; I have a supply of the really big ones to keep my Omnipod on in sweaty conditions.

These things are temporary, the sweat eventually loosens the adhesive so that the clothing wipes the G5/G6 or Omnipod off. Try a loose dress; one of the beach cover-ups will work just fine. The African dress which consists of a piece of cloth about 10ft long and 30" wide with a slit cut in the middle works just fine; I got one many years ago at a fair in the SF Bay Area and it has done good service in Oregon. (Watch out for the winds; I was told that I could wear a belt with it but I don’t so I have my own Monroe moments when the ridge wind starts at 4pm :wink:

John Bowler

Hi -
I’m new to this forum and this is my first post! I’ll look for an “introduce yourself” thread and will do so there.

But I found you guys because I have recently had a series of G6 sensor failures and I was wondering how prevalent they are. My experience has been similar to the OP - multiple sensor failures. I’m on my third in 2 days.

Dexcom customer support has been unfailingly helpful, and I am getting two new sensors. But it doesn’t seem like this is a widespread issue, just judging from the posting here.

And then w/r/t @jbowler post, Dexcom will give you a bunch of adhesive overlays for their sensors if you ask them - no charge (but you have to work your way through their menu tree).

Nice to find a forum like this!

e

I’ve heard enough complaints about the errors (especially in young ones) that we won’t be switching until they force us, or until the error rate is significantly decreased.

Welcome!

Hi, we’re really sorry too hear of the trouble you’ve had with this, and hope you’re little one’s doing OK at pre-school. We’ve had very similar difficulties with our 17 year old’s G6 which he started using recently.

Just a quick update to this - as I also continued to have failures.

I talked to my endocrinologist about this in Boston, and he has heard similar stories. He believes it is due to scale up issues at Dexcom, which would make sense. For me, the G6 sensor problems are dependent on the sensor - about 20% of the time I will get a bad sensor that dies quite quickly after I insert it. 80% of the time, no problem.

I suspect I got a bad batch once as well - where every sensor in the box of 3 was defective.

FWIW, Dexcom never hesitates to send me new sensors when I call them. It is frustrating and time consuming, and I hope they can fix these problems soon.

e

1 Like

Multiple sensor failures happening to me too. I have used G5 for 3 years, one sensor failure. Switched to G6 and had no problems for 6 months but the last 5 months I have had 7 sensors fail, all require multiple calibrations and most of the ones that I have gotten to work for a while fail by by day seven or eight. Never have any issues getting them replaced by Dexcom but now I don’t trust the readings so what is the point of wearing it. Am researching other brands now. Luckily my insurance will cover any brand.

1 Like

That’s with the Dexcom receiver, right? Do you know the transmitter codes you were using - the first two numbers of the serial number on the box (I’m guessing you used two transmitters)?

There was apparently a problem with some of the transmitters, it’s not clear if the problem was Dexcom’s or a third party app.

This is what I’m wondering (bad Lot etc…) I got my second re-shipment of sensors and have gone through 4 in 7 days! I’m experienced by now but these sensors seam like they are made totally differently (quality control issues I’m meaning).

thanks for posting this for the benefit of myself and others - disheartening is an excellent way to describe the process and now I won’t waste time trying to make sure Dexcom is aware of all this (LOL/ Sad)

40 years of T1 and all this technology yet I return to finger sticks 12-15 a day by choice! :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve just gotten into a good streak of sensors that are mostly lasting the 10 days, except for a few that my son peeled off a few hours early. It really seems like they had some major manufacturing issues, and maybe they are working the out (or maybe I’m getting lucky and winding up with the good lots, who knows.) Just wish I could be reassured that this is the new normal.

1 Like

I use skin prep (Skin-Tac)and then use the pre-cut opsite from Amazon. Worth every extra penny as cutting opsite makes me want to stab something…LOL image

1 Like

Ooh, I have patches that peel off before application and then don’t go down right. These are expensive:

$1 a shot, but I use so few of them and they look so nice, and they are clear.

How well does the application method work? I can see that the thing won’t be out of place initially, but after the first adhesive cover is removed is the removal of the second easy to accomplish without pasting the patch over the G6 and everywhere it isn’t meant to be? How do you do it? Remove the second bit at once, or roll it off while pressing to the skin?

Hi Tia,

I’m sorry you are having so many issues with the G6. I have been using the G6 since July 2018 and it has been a life changing experience…WHEN IT WORKS! It is the first sensor that I have worn which has taken my A1c down from 8.9 to 5.8 within 3 months.

I have gone through the gambit of sensor errors, malfunctions, dislodging issues, traumatic insertions which cause bleeding that affect the accuracy of the sensor, and transmitter issues. Dexcom probably has replaced 150 sensors for me since I started using them which is incredibly frustrating when your life is depending on it… There are a number of things that can cause sensor failures including accidental dislodgement, bleeding at the insertion site, skintac, the sensor software and the transmitter themselves. These are general failures that have nothing to do with the lots or your technique. I remember calling tech support once because of calibration errors and then sensor errors. While I was on the phone with tech support, I was attempting to replace the failed sensor only to have the second sensor not dislodge. I tried a third sensor which also did not dislodge. I had two applicators stuck to my body all while the tech was trying to replace the first one. The G6 was very dependable and accurate when I first started using them even with extended wear up to 27 days. That has all changed. It is no longer dependable or accurate. I am waiting for the Eversense implantable to be approved for 6 months and I will dump Dexcom.

In regards to tech support and the long wait times, ask for a Senior Tech Supervisor in the morning PST. They have shipped tech support to the Philippines and manufacturing to Mexico which was a huge mistake because the quality suffered.

I wish I had good suggestions for you when sensor failures happen repeatedly. If you continue to use the G6, ake sure you have at least 3 sensors on hand and a reliable glucometer. Diatribe is a great website that is on the edge of new technology,rating accuracy of glucose meters, and differences between the CGMs. Here is the link to the CGM guide https://diatribe.org/continuous-glucose-monitors#availablecgms.

Remember that we have a choice of what we use!

1 Like

I use the prep SkinTac and it stays for 10+ days. Now I only shower once every 2 weeks…LOLOL Juuuuuust kidding…LOL But it does work well.

From the original post, I think I read that you’re dealing with G6 errors on a child that’s in preschool, and I think I may have some insight into your issue. Our daughter is 7, but very small due to other health complications. She’s about the size of your average 4 year old. We have a constant issue with failing sensors, and although it always seems like hardware malfunctions, the majority of problems come from the sensors being able to properly pick up a reading from fat/muscle tissue that it is inserted through. If you think about small they are, imagine how much tissue is moving around the sensor filament with every little movement. Their fat tissue is much thinner and tighter, along with their muscle fibers being much more condensed than an adult’s. This causes much more tugging and pulling on the filament with even the smallest of movements. When this is happening during the warmup process, it can create instant sensor errors. We were warned about this by our doctor when we discussed using the Dexcom system. The only locations on her body we have had any real luck with, are the outside of her triceps, about 6 inches below the shoulder, and her upper thigh, about 6-7 inches below the hip joint. Even with fine tuning and a heck of a lot of luck, we still only get about 7 days, on average, with a flawless sensor. In the last year we’ve had maybe 8 that lasted the full 10, and again, that was just sheer luck. I really wish you the best with this, and hope everything starts working out for you. But believe me, you’re not the only one out there, we’re right here with you with the G6 shenanigans.

4 Likes

@G6newbie, Dexcom’s CEO has publicly acknowledged the failure of the sensor to detach problem and says they have fixed it going forward, meaning that there will still be sensors out there for months that have the problem. Their answer is they will replace any that do not detach.

I have not experienced that. But I take extra time on each insertion before I press the trigger button to tense up my abs and push the inserter down hard against my skin. I rock it back and forth and side to side while holding it down to make the adhesive really stick. When I think I have done enough of that I start over and do it again. I do it before pushing the trigger so the wire has not been inserted yet and it does not get tweaked. Since I started that my sensors stay on better and I only need the extra Grif Grips overpatch for working outdoors or bicycling on hot summer days. When the edges of a sensor patch start to peel back, I trim with scissors and apply a Grif Grip, pressing it hard against my skin repeatedly. I once got 24 days from a sensor with good readings. That was before the current quality problems began.

I know that is only one of your failure modes, but at least that one may be preventable.

2 Likes

Thank you, Randy. I have not had the detachment issue for a while now. My last 3 sensors have also been pretty accurate. I was even able to extend one for 20 days by removing the transmitter with the sensor still in place using the Contour Next test strip which was easy. I have also found that site placement overlying more muscular tissue or near the ribs has avoided traumatic bleeding for the moment. I will take your suggestion when I replace my next sensor.

On tudiabetes there’s a thread that shows how to push the orange rod into the release hole of the inserter to make the sensor detach when it’s stuck.

2 Likes

When I used the Dexcom awhile back, I had a lot of compression lows too. There were too many falso low alarms

1 Like

I too have had multiple sensor failures. Mine usually start to have errors around the 6th or 7th day. Each failure lasts about 4 hours before it will start working again, if ever. I usually receive a replacement in 2~3 days. Of course, I have no lancets or finger stocks due to Dexcom’s contract with medicare that claims “zero” finger sticks.

2 Likes

Our insurance covers a terrible brand of strips, so we just buy ours off the open market. No way will we let them stick us with a subpar tool. With that being said, the Walmart brand of strips and sensors is plenty accurate and very cheap. May be worth a look.

2 Likes