Forced to switch to G6

Finally was forced by Dexcom to switch to the G6, since I needed a new transmitter and they’ve stopped shipping G5s. Will be starting the new one tomorrow or Tues. I’m annoyed, since the G5 was plenty accurate for me and insertion worked fine for me without bulky inserters, not to mention I’ve still got a stash of G5 sensors. Oh well. I’ve read about the first day accuracy problems (possibly addressed by pre-soaking). Any other tips or things to be aware of? Guessing some of the other hold-outs will be switching over soon if not already as well.

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat… still burning through the last of my g5 stuff. I’ve complained a lot about the g5 over the last few years, but whatever changes they made 1-2 years ago that made their sensors only last about 10-12 days instead of 20-30 also made them a hell of a lot more functional and accurate for me…

Haven’t used the 6 yet but have a whole box sitting here ready … have an open mind, at a glance I like that it appears appreciably smaller, which will be nice I imagine, not as likely to snag on things etc I hope

3 Likes

The inserter package seems larger, though. Bummer for travel.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat as @cardamom and @Sam , except I have a pump integration to also contend with. I still have 4ish months of sensors still hoarded, so I plan on doing battery replacements again on my old stockpiled G5 transmitters and resetting them to 0 days via XDrip to use up supplies and create a new G6 hoard. Once I’m on the final box of G5 sensors I will have to upgrade my pump to G6 and make a choice between Basal-IQ or Control-IQ. Considering the fact that my bgs are finally for the first time in almost 20 years seriously dialed in, I’m not looking forward to the changes. Like life, if it doesn’t kill you then hopefully it makes you stronger.

2 Likes

This seems like a Dexcom issue. Period. We have always had 1st day issues with the G5 (wildly inaccurate, question marks, etc) so I’ll be right at home with the G6. Just hoping not to have the ERRORS I’ve heard some people report… Especially the ones used by kids.

We have enough G5 sensors and transmitters to last us until early next year but when it’s time well start stocking up G6 sensors and transmitters.

4 Likes

Overall I’ve been real happy with G6. I also have issues the first 4-8 hours, but I also had issues with G5 the first day. Outside of that it is very accurate.

2 Likes

I too am burning through the last of my G5 supplies. My last transmitter will hit 112 days in late September. Looks like I can stretch my sensors to make it until then too. Hoping G6 works as well for me as the G5 has.

2 Likes

Off topic, but I thought once C-IQ came out, no option to get B-IQ. Have you confirmed you have a choice ?

1 Like

See I haven’t with the G5. In fact, I’ve found I rarely need to calibrate the G5 after the initial double entry, unless it’s a bad insertion (hit a blood vessel or something), in which case it never quite works. I’ll report back if that holds for the G6 as well. That said, I would say G5 sensors have gotten decidedly worse in the past year or so, in that I do occasionally find them way off and some are noisier out of the gate, and I can no longer get the 3+ weeks out of them I used to be able to easily (they still are usually working after two, but not doing very well at that point). That drop in quality for me was not linked to any upsides in functioning.

2 Likes

We used to get two weeks min, now it’s guaranteed that if we try to get even a single day extra, We’re shot down. After one week we don’t even try anymore… We just swap it out.

2 Likes

The other issue for me (which I’ve discussed on TuD), which I suspect will carry over to the G6, is that one of the changes made to the sensors was changing the adhesive, and now I react to it and get itchy after about a week or so, so I’ve started needing to change it out anyway more frequently for that reason. In the other forum, a number of other folks reported the same issue and that this was a change from before. Super frustrating.

2 Likes

Both are an available upgrade option for in warranty pumps

2 Likes

Pre-soaking, HUH? pre-soaking what? One doesn’t pre-soaking anything! G6 works just fine. no different than G5’s. Sensors aren’t smaller, just the insertion portion is different, you just hit a button rather than pulling up pushing down on that syringe thing, it’s much easier. One thing is, you cannot wear sensor past 10 days, they last only 10 days only ten days then they’ll stop working.

If you still have G5’s use them with your receiver…what’s the issue with that?..

there’s no difference in size from G5 - G6 sensors, just the insertion part is different.

the G6 sensors last 10 days, but 10 days only! So, not sure what you’re referring to when you say a week?

1 Like

I’m referring to the G5… The system we currently use

1 Like

I dunno from experience but I know my doc had a side by side mockup of the 5 vs 6 and there was what to me seemed like a very appreciable difference of the overall height of the 5 plus transmitter vs the 6 with transmitter

1 Like

It’s been a while since I switched to the G6 but the profile of the G6, sensor inserted with the transmitter attached, is definitely smaller than the G5.

Also, I’ve restarted 85-90% of my G6 sensors with most, but not all, lasting around 15 days (some lasted 20).

About 6 months ago it seemed like I was having connection/Bluetooth issues all the time. The issue seems to have resolved itself. My guess is either an iOS update took care of it or I successfully eliminated whatever was causing the Bluetooth interference. Don’t know what corrected it but glad it did)!

3 Likes

Many people have reported that putting the sensor on and wearing it for a period of time (often about 12 hours) before starting it (termed “pre-soaking”) dramatically increases the accuracy in the first 24 hours. One theory is that the filament that measures the interstitial fluid works better once it has been inside a person for a bit of time. Some of those folks are the people for whom it was wildly inaccurate otherwise.

The sensor/transmitter combo is definitely smaller, while the inserter is much bulkier. I dislike the idea of the bulky inserter both for travel reasons (someday when travel is feasible again, though who knows, maybe we will be at the G7 by then…) and because of the sheer non-recyclable waste of it.

You need transmitters as well as sensors. I am out of transmitters. Also I don’t actually own an up to date receiver, haven’t used one since my G4 days, just use my phone.

With both systems, you can restart the sensors, even though in neither are they designed to do so. My impression is doing so is a little more complex on the G6 though, since you have to trick the system more, but entirely doable.

I’ve had that issue with the G5, and it was due to the iOS not deleting previous transmitters from the bluetooth devices, which tends not to happen automatically, so they can pile up, and it can interfere somehow. Whenever you switch transmitters, it’s not a bad idea to first delete the old one before pairing the new one. If you have more than one in there already, the letters/numbers at the end correspond to part of the serial number, so you can identify which is the current one that way. I wouldn’t be surprised if the same issue occurs with the G6. It’s possible that an update or something cleared them out, but I might check when you change transmitters that it’s continuing to do so.

1 Like

Same boat here. My last G5 transmitter will expire in the 2nd week of September. Which unfortunately is around when I’m going to have my babies. So I have to change up what I have in the hospital bag at some point and during the most likely interval have both with me. Fun…

I have fair amount of sensors / expired transmitters that I’ll hang on to for a rainy day. Not as many as some but probably a 4-5 month supply if you use sensor for 2 weeks. My boyfriend would probably enjoy doing battery replacements and xdrip setup stuff.

1 Like