Repeated Dexcom G6 failures

I am wondering now if Spike is more reliable than the actual Dexcom app on iPhone???

I had multiple Sensor Errors again last night, with 50% diff in reading with the fingerstick! :frowning: Sensor was only 4 days old, horizontally inserted on the abdomen. I am going to try new sensor on arm.

2 Likes

Dexcom seems kind of peeved at me calling constantly. Last weekend, (of course on the weekend), an entire LOT number (3 boxes) of G6 sensors failed me. I still have 2 sensors left, but this is ridiculous.

I had two hypoglycemic seizures. I’m a bit miffed.

I never had any issue on the G4 (except being unable to take cold medicine).

I’m completely hypo unaware. They didn’t rush the shipment. I’d be more than happy to send every single sensor that I tried to put on that just failed back.

It keeps asking for calibrations then ignoring them and sensor failing when I input them.

I already tried changing the Transmitter.

3 Likes

I’m on my way to Costco to buy a G6 sensor OTC (nice and expensive) because I absolutely can’t be without readings. They’ve confirmed it’s definitely the sensors based on error messages etc. They’re off my christmas card list, especially after telling me “these sensors are all made by hand- someone is going to get into trouble.” YES! Me, having two hypoglycemic seizures because your sensors don’t work and fail.

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD!

Oh my goodness @MelissaGee what an ordeal! I’m sorry that you’re having failures and resultant low blood sugars to the point of seizures. What a major bummer! I’d suggest trying to escalate with Dexcom’s support - asking for a manager, being polite but insisting that you need overnight shipping and you need help with this issue. Or find out who your area Dexcom rep is. The folks at Costco should know.

Also, finger sticks are just a thing. I’d be doing a bunch daily to prevent more hypoglycemic episodes. Some members here test as often as 20x a day. I don’t trust the Dexcom’s numbers enough to forgo the meter all together.

I’m sending good thoughts your way!

4 Likes

Hi Melissa- so sorry to hear this. I had a majorG6 " sensor problem"- that was actually a transmitter problem. Dexcom insisted this was not possible, but i had started a new transmitter when i had numerous sensor failures. They reluctantly sent me out a new transmitter and the “sensor problem” stopped. Also, they will send out replacement sensors next day FedEx if you insist.

Good luck.

5 Likes

@MelissaGee, welcome to FUD and so sorry about the problems!!!

On this thread, I believe that we now have had two cases where the problem was a bad transmitter. After so many sensors failing I am guessing you would be able to convince Dexcom to send you a new transmitter. This is beyond horrible to see so many failures.

2 Likes

I changed the transmitter because I had a spare that came with those 3 boxes of sensors.

2 Likes

The major issue is that I’m what they used to call "brittle ". My blood sugar crashes suddenly often without insulin (or it will spike suddenly). Unfortunately, I’m in a time period where this is happening. Sometimes it’s fine, but when it gets unstable it’ll stay that way for a few weeks.

I also just got out of the hospital. I had unexplained encephalopathy that they fixed with buckets of antibiotics.

2 Likes

I’m really disappointed in the operation of the Dexcom g5 system. However, I must tell you that use of this system for 5 months, I have been able to drop my A1C from 11.2, to 6.9 And maintain it.

With that said, I have several issues that I feel Dexcom should address:

1. Receiver readings are intermittent and differ between my Contour meter readings by 15-100
    mg/dl. This can be terrible, especially if low.
  2. The receiver does not utilize the full screen for readings, nor does it have a landscape mode. I was told by Dexcom Support to purchase a mobile phone that works with their app! (I have a Samsung note 3.
  3. My transmitter failed after only 4 months. I was told It should last for at least 6 months.
  4. Since March of this year, 3 sensors have failed, or are terribly intermittent.
  5. When ordering replacements, be it Dexcom, or Contour meter accessories, the Dexcom app keeps preventing me from ordering online because, it says, “You have no transmitter serial number on file.”
  6. The Dexcom receiver doesn’t allow for a full day of on-screen data. I can download it to my PC and view it there.
    I must say though, that contacting Dexcom support, I was able to obtain replacements within 1 week or less.
1 Like

What a bummer! I agree, the Dexcom should do that. I’m sorry some of their suggestions don’t work for you! I’ve never tried ordering online, but it does sound frustrating for sure if you’ve spent the time to try and not had that work.

My understanding is that Dexcom will replace the transmitter if it fails prior to the end of their warranty period. We’ve had this happen once when using the G4 or G5 and made the huge mistake of disposing of the dud transmitter before calling them. Save all things if you want service so you can send them back if required. Same on sensors.

//

I wrote the above only to forget to send/finish it and THEN run into the same series of failing sensors other folks here have. Nothing changed. Same G6 Dexcom, same locations, installation on the body, same phone, same transmitter we’ve used successfully a few times. But boom! Four sensors in a row failed. First failure was really just a span of junky data and dropped function, we called tech support and they agreed to send a sensor out to replace it but made it pretty clear that they thought we were over reacting/the three hour refresh thing was normal 3x in one afternoon. Then the new one he applied went bad within an hour of installation - didn’t clear warm up. Called tech support back, attempted a restart, didn’t work. Then we used the third sensor. It blew while we were on the phone with the guy within minutes of application. Which sucked as we were out of town so then we were out of sensors, so came home to SLO, got even more sensors that we had from the last shipment and that failed too.

Hours with tech support following my own advice (escalated once the third sensor failed, EH spent hours on the phone speaking with them since this started). Frustrated because we are heading to Canada and they will NOT mail any of the equipment there, which means a week of work travel without the sensor. And if they’d taken us seriously on one of the first two phone calls we’d have gotten the equipment early enough for the trip. Could do Costco out of pocket. Not sure if it’s worth it or not. They are sending a transmitter and sensor that should arrive next week.

Having no sensor on: It’s a mixed bag. Sleeping through the night has been so nice. Knowing his BG is higher often isn’t. I am finding that aggressive treatment seems a lot less desirable now that we’ve got no idea what direction things are trending in. Trying to use the time to reidentify what each number feels like. It’s amazing what a different game finger sticks is. I know there are lots of people out there with different methods for diabetes management - and I think it’s great. But switching back to finger sticks has really allowed me to evaluate what’s working with the Dexcom and what isn’t. And how I feel about it. And what maybe I would change with the Dexcom settings once it’s back again. I think a vacation from the Dex has actually been a good thing. It does remind me the need for redundancy in methods though - stuff does fail, and it was so nice to not need to make an emergency trip to the pharmacy for more strips. So that was good to remember.

2 Likes

@Easycool Welcome! That’s an awesome drop! Congratulations!

I use the G5 (plain) receiver, not the touch screen receiver. Since you’re talking about your receiver not having a landscape mode, I’m guessing you are using the touch screen receiver. I do agree though, even with the plain G5 receiver, I only see about ten hours of data. It would be nice to see more, I agree. I can look back with my OmniPod PDM to 90 days of data. I do like that!

G5 transmitters last about three months. I just looked at the user guide to verify I had the right length of time. I’ve gotten close to four months though. My G4 lasted six plus months. I just checked the user guide for G6 and that transmitter should last three months.

Again, welcome and here’s to you for continuing to achieve such wonderful numbers! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Hi! My mom has been type 1 since she was 3 years old and we got the dexcom g6 last November. Lately she’s been having a lot of sensor errors. It’s been really hot in our state lately and today was 96 degrees and we changed her sensor and it came up as “No restart allowed”. It’s a brand new sensor and the old one today kept losing signal and not giving readings. Would the heat cause that? Or is it just bad sensors? We’ve called dexcom a few times and of course they replace em but it’s such a pain

4 Likes

Was it a short time period between the stop of the old session and the start of the new session?

We allow minimum of 10 minutes between the stop and start to avoid an issue that many people have reported.

2 Likes

I asked this during a phone call to Dexcom, and they told me the heat itself is not ever the problem. The rep said the G6 would be fine for use in a jacuzzi if the adhesive could just hold steady. However, especially in the heat and humidity, loosening adhesive is a common problem… which can inadvertently lead to more errors and lost sensors. For this reason, Dexcom encourages the use of overlay patches during the summer months and will provide a complimentary 10 pack of them if you call in and request them. They won’t send out more than one pack at a time but said that it’s okay to call in once you have only two remaining, and they’ll continue to send out new packs as many times as you request.

Don’t know if any of that helps. I wish you luck!

2 Likes

Hi @RandaN!

I think that there is actually a problem that goes beyond the sensors happening with the current Dexcom G6. It is very difficult to get the Dexcom representatives to agree to this, but never before have we had four sensors fail in a row. We have observed the 10 minute rule, we have followed all of the steps to have success, and we have had nothing but problems lately. We’ve used the Dexcom in hot temps and cold in years past, no problem.

My guess is that for us it’s a transmitter problem.

Having just read your other post, I would ensure you’re following all of their rules for application and session start, and then if it’s a problem, get a new sensor sent to you. If all of the sensors fail and you’re continuing to get errors despite following their instructions I would call back if this keeps happening and really push them to get you a new transmitter.

Having use the G4, G5, and now the G6, I can say that the technology is generally excellent. I’m so sorry that you’re running into this. Don’t give up! It’s a rough spot but worth persevering to have access to the data that the Dexcom can provide.

Here’s a few older threads that discuss the Dexcom (although possibly an older version, but some of the tips might help):

That’s a scary thought @Nickyghaleb! If you lose, as in can’t find because the sensor fell off somewhere because of the poor adhesive, then you’re also losing the transmitter with it, as the transmitter is attached to the sensor.

I have to wonder why they can’t use the adhesive they used for the G4 or G5. It seems to me there are more problems with the G6 staying on than with the other two versions.

If the glue for the overpatches works as is suggested, hopefully they have already made changes to the glue they are using for the G6 and are just clearing out current stock.

1 Like

Thank you all! I did call dexcom and got the overlay patches. And the guy on the phone said the heat isn’t the problem, it’s the sweat that can get in between. Which does make sense but how do you prevent it? I asked him if the transmitter can get too hot and he didn’t really answer so I’m betting they just don’t know.

2 Likes

Only 96°? Try 114°. Of course, they say, whoever “they” are it’s a “dry” heat. :confused: so far though, my sensors have stayed where I put them with no extra tape. I hear you can get sample special tapes from dexcom if you request them. My biggest beef with dexcom, is the accuracy of the g-5 meter. They claim +/- 20%. That is not good in my book, but cgm does help with blood sugar stability. Especially at night during sleeping. The contour meter is only 1 point in time. So it’s difficult to understand my blood glucose levels on a consistent basis. I have found that 3-4 calibrations/ day seem to help.

1 Like

How do you keep in on for 10 days without any adhesive? I workout daily and even with an additional adhesive I have then add med tape about day 5.

I am having repeated sensor failures also. I only use my phone and Tslim x2 for reading the numbers.

And I am about 30 min from another failure since it hasn’t been reading for 3 hours.

1 Like

We use Grif Grips to keep the sensors on. Each patch lasts about 6 days for my son who works out daily, so we do carefully change a Grif Grip on each sensor midway through its life. We like them because they are breathable, and their glue pattern allows movement.