Random D thoughts

That or increased “stress” level… have I mentioned how much I dislike shopping. :flushed:

1 Like

I am guaranteed to go low when cooking. You wouldn’t think chopping and stirring occasionally and taking a few steps to the fridge would plunge BG that much, but it happens. If I’m in the kitchen all day before a dinner party, I’ll easily go through a can or two of Coke. (Conveniently, a cocktail containing carbs – such as tonic, Campari, Cynar, or simple syrup – looks after everyday dinner.) My endo used to be skeptical when I told him about prolonged lows on dinner-party days, until he saw the evidence on paper.

Then again, I’m very susceptible to activity, which would be handy if I were lazy, but I’m not. For instance, I live on the top floor of a walk-up. When I go to check the mailbox in the lobby, I walk down and then up three flights of stairs. I can see the effect on my CGM, but no intervention is required. If the mail is late, though, and I have to check more than once, I’ll definitely require some treatment. How I ran cross-country in my teens without going low, I’ll never know.

2 Likes

I read a study showing that people’s BG drops in the half-hour to hour prior to a meal, in anticipation of eating. I actually see this effect happen pretty commonly with our son as well (when I’m cooking, not him :))
I’ll try to dig up that study. I think it has something to do with hypothalamic control of insulin resistance, but then you’d expect this would not work for people who are in absolute insulin deficiency, like Type 1s.

1 Like

Nice touch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahd here I thought it was just from vacuuming up cat fur “dust kitties” that have appeared overnight and setting the table!! I sip on lemonade on these hot summer days while prepping and enjoy the treat very much (Califia Meyer Lemonade).

2 Likes

Haha, I’ll admit if I’m a little higher than I like after a meal and we need something, I go to the grocery store and walk it off. It works (almost) every time.

3 Likes

my BG shoots way up after shopping when i am at the cash register and i have to hand over my money to the sales person.

1 Like

Isn’t it funny how you never notice the door knob until you are spinning around and grabbing your infusion site at the same time

6 Likes

One thing I have noticed is that whenever you are wearing a pump or Dexcom on your arm or hip, the door-frame somehow gets 1 inch narrower…
:open_mouth:

6 Likes

That’s true for me too and I am not even PWD, just parent of CWD :slight_smile:

4 Likes

haha. i hate giving cashiers my $$$. i have entitlement issues; i feel like they should give me X for free. :wink:

1 Like

i had the weirdest dream last night. forever, and this part is not the dream part yet, i have a small bag with all of my meds and my supplies completely packed save for my insulin (which remains in the fridge until i am going away). it is fully loaded and weighs about 5 pounds, give or take. i’m certain that all of you can imagine what this bag would be filled with, so i won’t bother writing it all down. no point.

well last night i had this dream that i went away for a short 1 week vacation on Fire Island (the place i go which has no pharmacy and can only be gotten to by a small ferry boat) . i dreamt that i was on the island and i needed to refill my pump, but my pump was different than the pump i have and it could only take cartridges of insulin rather than filling the reservoir as i have always done. but i didn’t have any cartridges of the insulin i needed, so i would have to make due with another insulin. and i swear to God, i had about six or seven different types of insulin cartridges in my bag, but not the one i needed. and i had no idea of the many different peak times of each one, so i didn’t know which i should use to substitute for my regular insulin (novolog). i had no internet access with me, and all i could think of was “how can i get in touch with Eric?” :wink:

4 Likes

this is one of the reasons that i wear the shortest infusion tubing made. however, sometimes my pumps clip gets bumped and my pump falls in the direction of the floor and my hand immediately goes into manic panic retrieval mode.

2 Likes

Ha, I had a stress dream about running out of Afrezza last night. Must be something in the air. :wink:

2 Likes

What a great, strange and wonderful dream!

1 Like

oh so silly. as if i dont spend enough of my day thinking about D management, i have to take it to bed with me while i sleep :blush:

2 Likes

My wife loves to talk to people. Last night the phone rang and she talked to them for an hour.

When she finally hung up I asked her, “Who was that?”.

And she said, “Wrong number.”

4 Likes

How do people do these quotes inside of quotes, like the message I’ve just replied to? I’ve been trying to do it for years, never figured out how.

And as for my random diabetes thought: I wonder how long my current Dex sensor will last. It’s at a month and still going strong. Last two have lasted a month. I think I can start to say I get an average of a month out of each sensor.

2 Likes

Jen, you are the sensor queen! :grinning:

Paste the 2nd quote inside the first like this:

The above will result in this: