Savory low treatments?

So, Samson has become sick of candy, glucose tabs, and the like. I’m wondering if anyone has ever heard of a savory low treatment that works well?
I know it’s a long shot, but thought I’d ask!

3 Likes

They’d kick in much slower, but maybe crackers or Melba toasts or even Arrowroots with or without peanut butter (the sweetened commercial kind)? Tortilla chips or corn chips? Mini pitas or naans? Not very convenient for you (or maybe even him), but “spiky” vegetables come to mind – rice, potatoes, baked beans, corn kernels or creamed corn.

1 Like

Anything that’s basically straight up white rice or white flour, with flavorings, should work pretty well, as long as it’s fairly low fat. So a bunch of crackers would fall in that category as well as cereals—cereal is a great choice actually. Even cheerios, which are whole grain/oats, still spike me pretty rapidly.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I often use non-candy stuff for mild lows and save the candy, especially the smarties and glucose-tab-like options, for when I have a particularly fast dropping one.

1 Like

How about just fruit? Something like a nectarine. I know it isn’t portable though. @cardamom’s suggestion of cereal would be though. You could put some Captain Crunch in a zip lock baggy.

1 Like

I have treated with pretty much anything. I think I have had 1 glucose tab in my career, just to see what it was all about. Yay, chalk!

What does he like?

• chocolate milk
  • orange juice (or any juice - cranberry, apple, pineapple, whatever he likes)
  • cinnamon toast crunch
  • cupcakes or cookies (small portions)
  • mini-donuts
  • apple sauce
  • cracker jack
  • small bowl of cereal like Frosted Flakes or Cap’n Crunch or Coco Puffs or whatever he likes
  • cinnamon toast crunch
  • small bowl of ice cream
  • toast with jelly
  • cake!

I guess it depends on what you mean by savory, but seriously, put the glucose tabs away. That makes a low BG seem like something that needs medicine instead of an opportunity to eat something he likes.

I like the perspective of a low BG being no big deal, it is just a chance to have a snack I like and keep going with my day.

7 Likes

I mean salty I guess. He doesn’t like anything sweet really. It’s weird, but he hates maple syrup, honey, sugar, cake, and most candies except the really sour ones. He doesn’t really like juice. He doesn’t like cereal. His favorite things are: pizza, mac n’ cheese, bell pepper, cucumbers, yogurt squeezies and sometimes tacos. He’s super picky in general :frowning:

I’ve tried things like cheddar bunnies but honestly they’re sort of not very fast for him.

1 Like

Oh sorry, yeah salty is a different thing.

How about hot stuff? Like hot candies? They don’t really taste sweet. Like cinnamon red-hots.

I think the key is variety. No matter how much you like something, if you eat it all the time it starts to suck.

1 Like

He does like things like chocolate candy, but that isn’t very fast. Same with ice cream. He also like s’mores but those take too much time to make to be a “fast-acting carb”

Try these. They don’t taste sweet in the same way.

1 Like

Pretzel sticks or croutons??

1 Like

I am betting there’s a speedy smore method if you have a gas stove! Or if you’re brave…with a lighter…or a toaster oven.

It’s still sweet but my son does prefer things with some “sour” to them – good limeaide, sour patch kids, lemon drops or lemon heads candy. tangy fruit popsicles. You can make really sour lemonade from scratch too.

He also despises the tabs – there is no grumpy like a 3am “sorry I didn’t know we were out of juice now you have to chew tabs” grumpy. They are indestructible though so I reserve them for the glove compartment/bottom of purse rescue if we’re otherwise unprepared.

Gatorade tastes a little salty – it’s not a concentrated sweet but would be pretty fast.

I would try low fat crackers. white and rice flour have a decent glycemic index, and as long as you keep the fat away, should hit the bloodstream quickly. I seem to remember that the puffed rice cakes people used to diet on have a very high glycemic index and definitely qualify as savory.

2 Likes

You can do them in the microwave in 15 seconds or so for one. You won’t get the charred bits, of course. Double the time to allow for prep if your three ingredients are handy.

2 Likes

Yeah then I would go with crackers. Just pick ones that are fairly low fat. Though honestly, I wish stuff like cheez-its and goldfish didn’t spike me so much, so I think as long as it isn’t a very quickly dropping, urgent low, those could work fine. Then maybe he’ll be more open to the sweet stuff when it’s important to go that route.

1 Like

Oh and white bread would be perfect, so rolls or toast or whatever if he’ll eat it without butter/fat added. White rice would work too, with a bit of soy sauce or something else non-fattening to flavor.

1 Like

Saltines are fairly quick. Not like glucose tabs, but fairly quick. Just don’t add fat to them. Maybe he’d eat them with jelly?

1 Like

Flavoured gels come in sour flavours …

(Choose “Sour” sort option)

2 Likes

I second this choice, especially as it allows me to have Captain Crunch which is an all out sugar bomb!

2 Likes

My wife got me little pack of CC that is in a resealable travel bag.

The bag says there are 3 servings per container, but I think I could do it in 1. :grinning:

3 Likes