Preparing to Stave off G6 Transition

So I want to stave off the G6 transition as long as possible for a variety of reasons. A couple of questions if anyone knows the answer already:

1. How easy is it to buy a spare G4 or G5 receiver (I have an old G4 receiver that still works currently.)? My thinking is that I don’t want to go through insurance for a new one in case I want to move to the G6 sooner than I’m planning now.
  2. Will the Dexcom app on my phone continue to work for my G5 once Dexcom makes the full switch to G6 production? I’m phone/app illiterate on many levels so apologies if this is a silly question.
  3. I’ve kept old G5 transmitters. Is this the time to look into replacing their batteries?
1 Like

I think the G5 will still work on the phone, as is. No reason to think Dexcom would just abandon that.

My understanding - from speaking to Dexcom about it - is that you do not have to switch. Just tell your supplier you want to continue with G5.

2 Likes

Around a week ago, a Dexcom rep told me that G5 supplies will only be sold until Medicare covers the G6. At that time, he said I would need to switch over.

1 Like

Are you on Medicare? I am not.

I was told no switch was necessary, that I could stay with G5.

I don’t doubt you heard that. There is always different info that floats around companies, especially when it’s in the medical industry.

My discussion was with someone who seemed very much in the know. It was on a call-back from a Dexcom rep, because of a request I had left a few weeks prior.

So I don’t know for sure, just what I wad told.

1 Like

Nope, I’m not on Medicare. I was also told no switch was necessary, but only until the Dex was approved/covered by Medicare. I suppose we’ll just see what happens. I’m only repeating what I was told. I posted about this conversation on here a week ago: Automatic Order - G6 - #2 by Katers87

I hope you all can use it for as long as you want!

It is troubling to hear different things from them regarding this.

I have asked for a copy of it in writing.

Here is what I sent:

I have heard different things about the requirement to upgrade from G5 to G6. Hearing different things from the Dexcom company is disconcerting. Can I get a written copy of the upgrade policy regarding G6, specifically if anyone it will be required to upgrade from G5 to G6, and if an upgrade will be required after Medicare approval for the G6?

Having it in writing would make me feel better about the whole thing. I will see if I get anything back from them.

3 Likes

Thank you both, @Eric and @Katers87!

1 Like
  1. I think it’s going to get even more difficult to find G4 equipment. G5 should be easily available for a while, maybe not direct from Dexcom.

2. AFAIK, the phone app will continue to work with G5.

3. You can replace the batteries on the G5 transmitters 2 or 3 times at least. But the transmitter with replaced battery only works with xDrip+, they won’t work with the Dexcom app or receiver.

2 Likes

That was the state of things for a long while. But I don’t think it is still true now that the ResetTransmitter app exists. Or at least that’s the claim in Reset G5/G6 Transmitters – See My CGM

2 Likes