Anyone still use dexcom g5

Hello, does anyone still use Dexcome g5 and if so where do you get your supplies since Dexcom discontinued them? Thank you!!

3 Likes

We use the G5, but we are using existing supplies. To my knowledge, you can’t get the G5 Transmitters/Sensors any longer. We were forced to switch to the G6 and while we are currently still using our G5 supplies, we are just using them until they are gone and then we’ll switch over to the G6 supplies. Our last order of supplies was of G6 supplies so they are in the closet waiting. I have a little under 3 months of G5 supplies remaining (running low on Sensors, but I have 1 transmitter in use and 1 unused!).

I’m hoping to somehow stretch out my G5 supplies to last long enough to get my SECOND G6 order so that I can have a SECOND transmitter in reserve in the event the 1 I was authorized to order has problems…authorizing only a single transmitter, in my mind, makes no sense.

5 Likes

How long of a shelf life have you a G5 Transmitter to have? Just checking, to know my options. I’m presently using the G6, but if I can use the G5 in PNG, it might work better for that location. Thanks. :sunflower:

Dexcom guaranties the G5 transmitter only when it is started by the user within 5 months exactly of its shipping date.

As far as how long it can be used…it can be used for 90 days before the “battery will die”…but it’s not really dead. I can use the reset app to start that timer over and use it for another 3 - 6 months.

4 Likes

By reset app do you mean xdrip?

Nope. This

It’s an actual Reset app that can be built. This app works for the G5 as well as the G6. I haven’t tested it with the G6 obviously as we aren’t using that yet, but I’ve used it plenty of times on my G5 transmitters.

5 Likes

Dexcom G5 and xDrip should be able to keep reading for as long as there is sufficient battery charge on transmitter, using non-native mode. Or can reset (in xDrip) and do native mode.

5 Likes

Okay, I think I understand.

Thanks, @ClaudnDaye. I would need to be using an Apple phone, to do it the way you recommend, so that won’t work for me. And I am not sure I’d be techie enough to figure it all out.

One more question - you mentioned the Dexcom guarantee for the G5 - must start within 5 months exactly of its shipping date. Any experiences, good or bad, with shelving the G5 transmitter longer than 5 months? I wouldn’t want to do that, but I’ll be living a long way from the Dexcom source, so it will likely be a month from the time I order it until I receive it. I’m not trying to pin down an answer, but to get a feel for what I can expect.

Thanks, @MM2 . I’m learning about xDrip - and like what I’ve learned. So this is good and helpful information!

My apologies if I’m hijacking this thread! We were running errands when I happened to see this topic and it reminded me of questions I’ve been wanting to ask. The hijacking was unintentional. The answers are sincerely appreciated. :flushed: :roll_eyes: :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve used Transmitters much older than they guarentee and they’ve worked fine for me, but I have read some bad experience from others on old transmitters.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful to know. I’ve probably read the stories, too, but read too quickly since I didn’t have a G5. :sunflower:

2 Likes

I should add a huge THANK YOU to the community. You may not realize it, by the questions I’m asking, but I have done a bunch of reading through the information in the forums and have a spread sheet of info that I want to have readily available in the future. Thanks for sharing so generously of your knowledge and expertise. :sunflower:

6 Likes

It will be interesting if Dexcom makes the next release G7 smarter, and lock out access to XDrip. I will be very disappointed.

G7 due out later this year, will be transmitter/sensor as one unit, like freestyle.

2 Likes

That is why we exist, and comments like yours are what feeds our community so a big Thank You back!

5 Likes

Just thought I should mention, that dexcom must still be manufacturing the g5 supplies, as here in Australia, those of us with a federal health care card (cheaper medicines) under our National Diabetes Subsidy Scheme (NDSS) , we can get the g5 and supplies for free.

It was expected that it would be upgraded to the g6 last year, however that did not happen. The rumour from diabetes educators is, that they’re going to wait for the g7 before updating us. Considering that the g7 has only been put forward for approval to the FDA this year, the Australian version, the TGA, is unlikely to approve it for use in Australia until well into 2022.
You can get the g6 here, but not on that freebie scheme.
Because of the battery life issue, I doubt that dexcom are just sending remaining stock to Australia, and that they have to still be making them. That’s my theory anyway.

6 Likes

I have switched to the G6 but I was purchasing them from Poshmark and Offerup. I was also buying rebuilt transmitters. The insurance I had been on didn’t cover diabetic supplies.

2 Likes

Here is info on G5 end of support for US.

I don’t think they have announced any date for Non-US, but likely to do so at some point.
Or maybe skip directly to G7.

1 Like

Correct.
XDrip for Android and the other “build your own” reset app for Apple.

In xDrip there is not a menu choice to reset.
There is a voice command.

Here is link

2 Likes

Thank you, @MM2 ! Though what I’m reading looks rather complicated. Would it work if I just took out the transmitter and then put it back? Can I “trick” xDrip in this way? Or do I need to enable Engineering mode and reset the transmitter? I can learn - but life is crazy enough sometimes that I prefer to keep things simple when possible and not risk messing up xDrip.

1 Like

Okay, I just read this that @docslotnick posted on a different thread:

So…if I won’t be using a G5 receiver, does that mean I don’t need to do anything to reset xDrip on my phone? It will just keep running? No need for any fancy tricks? That would be wonderful if it’s true.

Guess it’s obvious that I have no experience with the G5. Thanks for all of the help and words of wisdom. :sunflower:

1 Like

In xDrip, with G5, there are 2 options.
When the Native mode is ON, then xDrip acts pretty much the same as standard Dexcom, taking sensor reading directly and enforcing day counts. So reset is required.

When xDrip not in native mode, there is different logic, which I believe gets “raw” data from sensor/transmitter. Some say it was more accurate than dexcom calculation of BG. So it does not even pay attention to the transmitter day counter, and keeps calculating bg to display. Eventually, the transmitter battery is too low, and it can no longer get raw data. That was @docslotnick topic that I think showed G5 transmitter lasting 150+ days, in non-native mode.

Not sure if G5 transmitter you use will have more lockdown, as they did with G6, and forced us to use Native mode only.

3 Likes