Dexcom g5 vs g6

So I’ve been eligible for an upgrade to the dexcom g6 for some time now and frankly the only thing that’s stopped me is the hellacious dysfunction of my supplier and not wanting to do anything to upset the Apple cart with them. Today my diabetes NP said she really thought the g6 was a significant upgrade and worth pursuing. Wondering what other users thought… is it a real upgrade? She also mentioned there are some tricks to restarting the g6 sensor after 10 days. What do you all think who’ve used both?

6 Likes

I have never used the G6, but I did a poll on FUD a while back asking for a comparison.

There might be some useful info on this thread to read through.

forum.fudiabetes.org/t/dexcom-g5-vs-g6-poll

4 Likes

I’ve only used the G6, and since the end of August. I know you wanted a comparison, but for what it’s worth here’s my opinion of the G6.
I’ve been completely happy with it. I’ve only had 1 sensor malfunction and that was a bleeder, which I think was because my husband (helping with the application because I like to wear it on the back of my arm) was pushing it too hard. Since discovered the application is really easy and you only need a light touch with it. The adhesive will stay on until about day 9 or 10 which is when the sensor is supposed to end. So security seems good. I do use an additional patch when I restart the sensor. I’ve been able to restart sensors and get as many as 30 days.
Mine tracks finger sticks amazingly closely. The only place it gets a little off is at high BG. Even at lows it’s close (like within 5±).
I have no distributor problems because I get it from the Costco pharmacy. Call one day and pick it up the next. Couldn’t be easier.
Super pleased with it. :blush:

4 Likes

That’s one of my main reasons I’m staying with G5. Between my supplier and trying to get correct paperwork in place from my endo office, I haven’t been motivated over the edge into switching yet.

4 Likes

Yeah totally understandable… what perked my interest again was today at my appointment they had a demo thing of the g6 and I was surprised how much thinner it looked than the g5… more so than I appreciated from seeing it just in pictures

4 Likes

The G6 is easier to insert/use, more accurate than the G5, a bit thinner than the G5, and never needs to be calibrated (we don’t extend them).

6 Likes

Adhesive is the same?

Seems to be similar. We use GrifGrips after day 3 or so, but my son is pretty hard on them, so it is insurance. Without an overpatch, I think we would get about 7 days on average.

2 Likes

I’ve used both. @Chris summed it up pretty great imo.

The g6 accuracy is far superior than g5 for me but that isn’t true for everyone, checking out that poll from the thread Eric shared (though looks like most FUDers find g6 slightly more accurate).

I never tried extending the g5, but I do extend the g6’s sensor life and I have done so for the transmitter as well. I would say on average I am able to get 18-20 days out of a sensor, with the longest being 25 I think. There’s certainly threads on extending the g6 sensor on FUD. I can hunt some down once I’m on my laptop for ya

4 Likes

How to you restart the transmitter? Someone showed me the tricks to restarting the sensor

So I’ve used the Reset App before (which looks like you can use it for the g5 transmitter). I had used this with one of the older g6 transmitters (80xx)(they recently released newer versions of g6 transmitters which have different SNs I believe 81xx (I could be wrong on these numbers)). Once I get my hands on a mac again, then I’ll try building the reset app again and will try to reset my new transmitter.

It is also possible to reset the g6 transmitters via Spike and xDrip I believe (I don’t have experience with either, but I plan to try out the iphone one this summer). Links to some posts on using spike/xdrip to reset the g6 transmitter:
Restarting G6 sensor failed? Help!
Tips on resetting transmittor on g6 via android phone

3 Likes

Extending the sensors is easy enough to do on the G6. You do need to take the transmitter off the sensor if you have the 8G or 8H transmitters though (15 to 30 minutes).
I have extended mine a few times now on the G6 (I always extended my G5).
Slimmer, gets caught on stuff less.
SUPER EASY insertion. The G5 was almost always painful for me. The G6 is wonderful and rarely do I feel anything!

4 Likes

Does Costco just require a written prescription from your Doctor??? I have been waiting forever to get the G6 (Medicare) that ships from Dexcom.
Patty

@Patty
Yes, Costco is a regular pharmacy, and it does require a script. In my area it is the only pharmacy with experience with Dexcom and the only one willing to carry it. They were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Jan, I guess you have to outlay cash to get your supplies this way??? Right now, Dexcom files my insurance. (Medicare and supplement)

Patty

@Patty
No, it goes through my insurance and I just pay my copay.

I’ve tried G4, G5, and G6. They were all great but the G6 is definitely a step up from G5. I’d go for it. Not needing to calibrate is soooo wonderful.

2 Likes

It’s much slimmer. I don’t have a bump under my clothing on the back of my arm, and I almost never bump it against anything. It is very easy to completely forget it is there.

Agreed.

My only real drawbacks are 1) the inserter is huge! It takes up more space when travelling. 2) I also have to take more back-ups when travelling because the G6 is more likely to fail upon insertion (e.g. a bleeder that won’t fix itself). I’ve only had that happen a few times. If after 2 hours, the sensor is still showing I’m below 40 when I’m not, then I’m going to replace it. I don’t want to deal with that- especially not while I’m on vacation. The G5 was more reliable upon insertion.

The G6 is significantly more accurate for me, and not having to calibrate is really awesome. Those calibration reminders on the G5 were really annoying…

3 Likes

Are you on Medicare and the G6???

@Patty
No, not on Medicare yet, but yes on the G6.