Dexcom g5 vs g6

I am on Medicare and just received my G6 upgrade. Keep asking for it! For me the new system is working so much better than the G5.

I would appreciate any information on restarting the sensor. My main problem is not having any back up sensors in case of a malfunction. I understand you can ask for overpatches from Dexcom to help with adhesion, but I would like to learn how to extend the sensor.

2 Likes

Here’s the latest method for extending the G6 sensors.

2 Likes

That’s one thing my doc cautioned me about is that once the Medicare issues are straightened out with the g6 and the floodgates open for Medicare patients there very likely could be supply and demand problems for the g6

3 Likes

A million thanks!

1 Like

I love my G6, I never had a G5 so I can’t compare. But I calibrate my G6 so it is usually within 5 points of my meter. Some people like me have had great success with it and others not so much. Why is there a difference no one seems to be able to tell except maybe people on the thinner side have more of an issue.

I’m pretty thin and used to have a LOT of problems with the g5. Eventually it started working better but I’m not sure If that’s because I finally settled on a more effective sensor location (for me just barely above my belt line about 3” on either side of belly button) or if they just got it to start working better

2 Likes

G6 is also WILDLY inaccurate for me for the first 12 hours or so (always on the low side. always screaming low alerts. always in the middle of the night…). If yo haven’t tried this, I have started doing the “presoak” method that someone on here wrote about: putting on a new sensor 12+ hours prior to the previous one ending and just letting it sit (I don’t even insert a dummy transmitter) and then just switching over the transmitter when the old sensor is finished. That trick has taken away the false lows for me and saved so much frustration. -Jessica

3 Likes

Much to my delight I just discovered that dexcom is now as of 2020 available directly through my pharmacy benefits so I should never have to deal with the supplier nightMare again… so I just emailed my new NP and asked for her to send the rx to Caremark mail order for the g6 system…

This is good because it should be a lot less headache going forward cutting out the dysfunctional middle man and also a good opportunity to test out my new provider’s responsiveness

4 Likes

Well just when I thought something would be simple… even though it’s in my formulary apparently I ts still not covered through pharmacy

Has anyone here used USMED? That might be my next pursuit

My insurance began allowing me to use suppliers some time last year. I tried to go through USMed, but my first conversation with them left a bad impression, so I decided to go elsewhere.

I’ve used Edgepark for a few orders, and they’re better than what I had to deal with before with Dexcom. I do have to confirm and reconfirm that they’re shipping everything they should be. My transmitter and sensor shipments were not aligned properly at first because they messed up my transmitter order. They did fix the situation though, and everything went well with my most recent order. I would recommend them with the recommendation to triple verify everything with each order- it might get better with time too.

I think @MM2 uses edgepark too.

I just got off phone with USMED and they seemed pretty efficient and organized at first impression to me, although first impressions can be very deceiving clearly… I’ll give them a shot unless my rx plan sponsor calls tomorrow and tells me she changed it so I can get direct from pharmacy

Hope it works out! Report back

Currently using CCSMed, so far ok, not great. Before that used Byram and was great.

1 Like

Byron treated you well? I never paid much attention to these discussions before because at first I ordered strait from dex then for a couple years my only option was solara, which was good for about 4 minutes, like a first date with a happy ending… then turned horrid after that

Once my orders were set up, the website could be used to trigger reorder/refill. It may have supported auto refill, but I preferred controlling that. They took care of contacting dr and getting rx, email delivery date, etc. Then paid on line, always listed correct amount after insurance claim determined amount. One screw up, but it was corrected quickly. Used for last 4 years, until recent change in my insurance.

1 Like

Another question re g5 vs g6

The main reason I like my phone vs the receiver for the g5 is I can mark events on the screen… bolus units, carbs, all appear as squared dots on the history screen on the phone but not on the receiver. I find that pretty helpful. Does the g6 receiver allow history event tracking on the screen like To show when I bolused etc if I enter it?

The G6 Receiver allows you to enter events, and they show up on the clarity display but not on the receiver.

Darn that’s what I was hoping for…

1 Like

Elle, I did what you said and called Dexcom to find out where I was in the line for a G6 upgrade (Medicare). They tried to send me 5 more G5s, but I said NO, I want to to be upgraded to G6. Well guess what?? In 2 days, I received my first shipment of the G6 with tutorial. I have three G5s left due to restarting them, so as soon as they are gone, I will be shifting to G6 with Basal IQ. Yippee!!!

1 Like

If anyone who has upgraded to the g6 has any unused g5 transmitters laying around they could PM me