Police officer arrests nurse

Most of you have probably already caught wind of this story because it’s been pretty viral for the past few days… wanted to know your thoughts? Being married to a nurse I have my own perspectives… but I think the officer was completely out of line and this should mark the end of his career, and possibly even criminal prosecution… there are other videos circulating that show more of the exchange… I’m sure it’s the top hit if you google “nurse arrested”

This was actually just the first link I found on my phone and is very light on the details compared to some others… so if the story interests you do a google search for more info

1 Like

I saw it first on CNN. I think the fault lies on one person… The police officer with a short fuse. She followed the rules and did nothing wrong at all. I feel sorry for her but she will be paid nicely for this inconvenience and overt abuse, and she’ll be able to take some nice vacations.

3 Likes

I can tell you with certainty had I been in the ER that I’d either have been shot, taised, or a hero for face planting an abusive police officer

2 Likes

In this case, because he wasn’t being overtly violent with her, I don’t think I would have jumped in and “tackled the police” or anything like that. Had he raised a hand, I wouldn’t have cared what his job was, I’d have taken him down. This video, although disturbing, wasn’t violent to the level that I would feel compelled to get locked up myself. Instead, I think the right thing was done…she complied, sat in his vehicle…she was later released from that vehicle and never went to the station even. People made videos (as they should), it became viral, and now the county will be padding this ladies retirement account a little.

I teach my children to not only never raise a hand to a lady, but if you witness it, it’s your duty to jump in and help if you can…no matter who’s raising the hand. But in this case, again, I don’t think it rose to the level that I would have taken any physical actions myself against the old guy.

3 Likes

It appeared that everyone was so shocked and surprised by what was going on that nobody really knew what to do… which is probably what’d actually happen 99% of the time in the real world. Glad they got it on video

Unfathomable how many icu patients this guy was willing to recklessly endanger by dragging their charge nurse into the parking lot in Handcuffs… just to show the nurse who was boss… and he wasn’t even right… he was giving her an unlawful order and she was calmly, and correctly explaining the hospital policy and law— Definitely deserves to be a career ender imo

3 Likes

I honestly can’t imagine many people thinking this was somehow the nurse’s fault. She’s upholding her obligation to protect her patient’s rights, checked with hospital staff to make sure she was doing right by her patient and not compromising public safety, is complying with the law, and standing up to someone who is basically trying to violate the law.

Doesn’t really seem like a “two sides” situation to me, but what do I know?

3 Likes

Which is why I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up doing jail time over it… the complicating factor, imo,is that his supervisor reportedly told him to arrest her if she didn’t produce the blood draw… and in that case the “just doing my job, as directed” defense goes a long way

1 Like

in general I think it’s pretty hard to convict police officers for malfeasance. Even if it’s documented on video and pretty clear cut. So I would not hold my breath for this man to be held accountable. He *may lose his job but more likely will be put on some kind of paid administrative leave, then quietly reshuffled to a job that’s less people facing.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree… I’ve seen police officers walk for far more egregious conduct… maybe someday we’ll realize we’re sick of it and reach a tipping point… although in general I think they have a very tough job to do and it’s really hard to get it right all the time…

1 Like

I had not heard this aspect of the story. I’m just following orders does not wash with me, orders do not make it right. This police officer deserves any punishment he may get, if it comes down to him being shown the door his supervisor that gave that order should be in line behind him. If it is true that the supervisor gave such an order I find that he was the one that committed the greater wrong.

1 Like

Yeah and I’m sure his supervisor gave no such order with the proper information, such as that the nurse had sought clarification of the law and policy from hospital admin etc etc and had been instructed that she could not legally draw the patients blood in this instance

His supervisor was probably told “I have a nurse here refusing to comply with my lawful order and impeding a criminal investigation” or something like that…

Nobody in their right mind would have directed him to take those actions with a clear understanding of the situation at hand

1 Like

You may be right, if so the supervisor is just as guilty by not completely understanding the situation before making such a call. In their business such instances can result in life or death. Without him asking the right questions someones life could be in the balance. I still think that in that hypothetical situation he should still take his place in line at the door.

2 Likes

Hard to say… I’ve never been a police watch commander… I suspect they’re under pressure to make decisions quickly at times and have to put their faith in the info as presented from the flat feet on the ground… sometimes good people with good intentions make bad decisions with bad information… I wouldn’t be so quick to condemn him until more info was known

2 Likes

Definitely would like to know before I condemn him. I would hope he ask this simple question, Why has she refused.

1 Like

Put that thought process into different context… you’re a watch commander and a veteran police officer radios in to tell you a dangerous crime was in proggress… say… a robbery— would you take the time to ask questions to understand the other side of the story at that moment? Or do you put your faith in what you’re being told? I don’t envy their position and the pressures they may be under at times… this was however certainly a very stressful situation for everyone involved at the PD as the initial accident was an officer involved vehicle fatality…

I do hope the supervisors side of the story comes out at some point as well as all of the footage that led up to the clip we’ve all seen

1 Like

The story I’ve seen circulating is that this man was injured, and another man was killed, after the police initiated a high-speed chase with the other driver, who was killed. From my understanding, initiating a high-speed chase is generally contrary to most PD procedures nowadays for just this reason – chasing a suspect is much likelier to lead to casualties for innocent bystanders. The man injured in the hospital was not a suspect.

So why was this cop so hot and bothered to get a blood sample from an innocent victim of a car-crash that he was willing to violate his rights?

1 Like

Another scenario,

A man is barricade in a house, the officer on site radios his supervisor and tells him the man has a weapon and is pacing back in forth, the officer is requesting a sniper to take him out. The captain must ask why is he barricaded inside. He could be a homicidal bank robber that swears he will not be taken alive, he has a hostage. The request may be justified. Of course, the man may be depressed gentleman that is a danger to no one but himself.

I hope the supervisor would ask before this gentleman loses his life.

This is all in fun, I enjoy jostling with you Sam.

1 Like

You are correct based on what I’ve seen… the man in the hospital was not a suspect but a victim in the situation… I suspect that because it was an officer involved vehicle fatality (the deceased was running from the police) that they wanted to be absolutely damn sure that the outcome couldn’t be blamed on anyone but the deceased fugitive

The man in the hospital was also driving a commercial vehicle… and you can trust me when I tell you when a commercial vehicle is involved in any way in any sort of mishap (even when absolutely without fault) as far as the authorities are concerned the world stops turning until the operator’s blood, urine, semen, hair, and anything else they can extract has been collected

Maybe I’m too cynical, but it’s hard for me not to wonder if at least some of the urgency was that this man is highly likely to file some kind of wrongful injury suit against the police department given that they were engaging in activity that is against procedure. So a positive test for some kind of drug or contraband substance would protect the police department in this instance. A negative test would certainly absolve the truck driver of liability but it doesn’t seem like there was any serious question in this case.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, but that’s the suspicion that came to mind.

2 Likes

I think the scenarios in which it’s against procedure to pursue are pretty specific… like in residential neighborhoods etc… I watch enough daytime TV to know police pursue at high speeds all the time and rarely ever back off-- only in very specific situations

I can assure you that as a commercial vehicle operator-- the assumption is absolutely always that you’re intoxicated at all times when a mishap occurs or you’re medically unfit-- which is somewhat at odds when the situation is a police pursuit drives a fugitive right into your vehicle-- but still as a comercial operator the baseline assumption is that you’re a criminal no matter what

1 Like