Hypoglycemic diabetic assaulted by police

https://blog.thediabetessite.greatergood.com/driving-diabetic/

2 Likes

I have no idea why sometimes links show up like this with url only and sometimes discourse creates a nice captioned link

It depends on the nature of the receiving page. If it is friendly Discourse can frame it nicely. I made your link a bit friendlier btw.

This story is outrageous, really. But, in the context of the many instances of police overreaction lately it is not so outlandish.

Given my hypo unawareness, this is why I always fingerstick before driving and I take the cgm alarms very seriously in traffic.

I have no need for a DUI on my record. I am hanging on to my license with a tenuous grasp as it is because of hypos.

4 Likes

I think this is just an extreme episode of people just not understanding T1 diabetes.

There is absolutely no excuse for the officers to have reacted that way. They should have had proper training, and it is negligent not to have them properly trained. It is inexcuseable, and they should be held fully responsible.

But it is also negligent for a T1 to be driving in such a condition. If we have a chance of being debilitated, we have the responsibility to take every step to avoid that debility. I would be mortified to get behind the wheel if my Bg was 35.

3 Likes

Hadn’t seen this term in a while…

symptoms of diabetic shock.

I would assume this person didnt have cgm, but if they did, and it showed low, i wonder if he would be more responsible for the incident.

1 Like

I asked my local Police Station what training they provided to their officers relating to diabetes and below is their response:

“Our deputies receive information about diabetes and it’s symptoms during DUI training well at the academy. Additionally, in the past we have had similar DUI complaints that were recognized as Diabetes and proper medical treatment was provided. More importantly this case in particular is a use of force training issue more than anything else. We also do annual UOF training as well.”

I agree with his perception of the true issues in this article, but had the officer recognized the symptoms and been properly trained, the ‘use of force’ might not have occurred (although, that’s debatable.)

2 Likes