Phone compatibility and Dexcom

So, I recently made the decision to get a new phone around the same time my doctor got me set up to get the Dexcom. My question is what are the best phones that work with Dexcom? I use straight talk but there are a variety of phones to chose from. The phone I had my heart set on is not compatible with the system. (Samsung A32) I did look into making the switch to an iPhone but I don’t have a lot of money so was looking at the 11 which it says it is compatible as long as the ios is 13 or 14 point whatever. BUT all the 11’s now have an ios of 15 so the website says it won’t work. Just looking for suggestions .

2 Likes

I think the Dexcom site is behind the times. I have an iPhone SE 2nd gen running IOS 15.3.1 and the Dexcom app and Clarity work just fine,

I’m using Straight Talk as well. My big complaint is that S.T. Doesn’t allow for cloud updates except on WI-FI. This means that SugarMate app won’t update my Apple Watch when I am away from home.

I was thinking about moving to ATT for a provider but $50.00 per month is a bit to rich for this retired, fixed income guy.

2 Likes

I use a Samsung phone, with xDrip app instead of Dexcom app. I also have Tandem CIQ app on it.

There are several topics here on xDrip for more info.

I am also using fitbit watch, and xDrip can be used to display data on watch from phone.

2 Likes

I’m running an iPhone 11 pro, iOS 15.4, and the regular Dexcom app works normally. They give a warning that it might not, but in my experience it pretty much works just fine whenever Apple upgrades to the next version of iOS.

2 Likes

No need to spend a lot of money if you don’t want to. I’m using an iPhone 7 which I updated to iOS 14.8. Works fine with Dexcom and Clarity, which is all I use it for.

2 Likes

And I’m still using an iPhone 8 ‘cos I can slip it easily into a pocket. No compatibility problems.

1 Like

My wife calls those outsized phones “a piece of toast.” I was so happy when Apple decided to bring back the SE. It fits in my pocket and in my bike bag.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

I bought an iphone 13 when it first came out with the thinking Dexcom usually upgrades to work with the latest IOS. Not this time. 6 months later and I am still getting the warnings every few days it’s not compatible and the iphone 13 is still not listed on their site as being compatible.

It mostly works, I have the graph and it seems to communicate with clarity fine. But the alerts don’t always work. 80-90% of the time it does alert. But if you count on the alerts on the phone it could be an issue. It just randomly won’t make the alert sounds. A more minor thing is the banner used to come up on the home screen with the Dexcom BG number displayed and now it will just say Dexcom alert.

I still wake up when I’m low, although sometimes it’s a little lower than I would like to be at. My thinking is they might not be caring to put the effort into making it compatible because all their effort is going into the G7. Which shame on them, because for some the alerts are critical.

I leave my phone on all night so I can glance at my BG level easier. The other night I put a new sensor on and in the middle of the night I glanced at it and it said I was 46. I calibrated it to 80 because I knew I was fine. It read I was really low all night. Not one peep from it. That could be dangerous for some.

4 Likes

That might be worth a call to Dexcom tech support. Maybe they can help you with settings so that the alarms sound properly. (I suggest this only because the alerts do sound properly overnight for me, so maybe there’s something in your settings.)

First things to verify are that Settings > Notifications > Scheduled Summary is Off. Then Settings > Dexcom G6 > Allow Notifications is on, and Settings > Dexcom G6 > Sounds is on. There may be more settings that they know of, and maybe they can help you get the BG number to show on the alert banner on the home screen.

2 Likes

@bkh iphone13? You are lucky then! I never had a problem with any other iPhone, except a temporary one because of an update before it was compatible, I learned to wait to update… If you call Dexcom you will get told it’s because the iPhone 13 is an unsupported phone. Since I know it does it, I have noticed it does it more than I realized? It’s very random when it chooses to not alert. Like last night it worked just fine, I kept hovering around 73 and my alert is set at 75, after going off 3 times I turned off my phone lol.

At first I thought maybe I hadn’t heard it. Then I thought it’s when I have the sound turned on or off, nope. Then I looked up the compatibility on their site, ahh my whole iPhone isn’t supported at all. When I have called before with an issue in the past, that’s the first thing I was told, see if the update is supported, because if it’s not, don’t download it until it is, that it causes problems. In this case the whole iPhone 13 isn’t even supported. The last IOS updates still aren’t supported either. Then I noticed threads where other people are complaining.

I don’t know if this is true, but apparently when you switch to a new iPhone and upload your info, they called it side loading? On a new device you are supposed to download the app new and it will prevent you if it’s unsupported. But when you sideload it you bypass that prevention. Like I said, I don’t know if that’s true, it’s what someone said they were told.

1 Like

No, I have an 11, not a 13. I didn’t know that made a difference for software compatibility; I thought it was just iOS.

I thought “side loading” meant installing a program from somewhere other than the app store, which is pretty hard to do on an iPhone, and definitely wouldn’t happen accidentally.

1 Like

@bkh I have no idea about what side loading actually is? That’s just what someone said they were told. I really don’t know anything about it. But it does make sense that when you transfer your data from your old phone to the new that you might bypass something.

You would think the IOS would be the important part. But it has to be different per phone too? In the respect for example I have a different camera on the iphone 13 than even the iphone 12, so my phone is different and with each phone series it becomes more different?

1 Like