Dexcom G5 Mobile App and iOS 11

Dexcom G5 Mobile
By Dexcom
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Updated: Sep 18, 2017
Version: 1.7.3

This is beta for iOS 11

2 Likes

Direct to the new Apple Watch?

No.
This is just for the new iOS 11 on the Apple iPhone.

Dexcom G5 Mobile App version 1.7.3 is a beta for the iOS 11. It comes up with some kind of warning (when run on iOS 11) but apparently is intended to be functional. A possible assumption is after Dexcom gets some feedback, they will release 1.7.4 which will be GA for the iOS 11. Another possible assumption is that version 1.7.2 would not run at all on the iOS 11.

So, if somebody is currently running the Dexcom G5 Mobile App version 1.7.2 (or older) on their Apple iPhone iOS 10.x (or older) but does NOT want a beta version of the Dexcom G5 Mobile App then they may want to consider NOT upgrading their iOS to version 11 until Dexcom releases another version (perhaps 1.7.4) of the Mobile App for iOS.

2 Likes

I saw iOS 11 listed on the Dexcom approved page yesterday. Does this mean it’s no longer beta?

1 Like

That is certainly what I would gather. It is quite interesting as the iOS mobile app available for download is still the same version 1.7.3 which was posted on Sept 18, 2017. The reasonable assumption is they decided the v1.7.3 app on the iOS 11 was all good and no further changes were required.

(We were just discussing this in the car yesterday and I still thought the iOS 11 was not yet supported.)

Nice job noticing !!!

1 Like

Thanks! My phone keeps prompting me to upgrade but I have been holding off.

1 Like

@CatLady
If you are going to upgrade anyway, which version of the Dex app are you running now?

Would you be able to provide a summary of any differences you find? In particular in terms of alerts and in particular any inability to disable any of the alerts as compared to what you do previously? Or anything else that people would consider “annoyance” issues?

My understanding of the smart app is all alerts should be able to be disabled with the exception of the critical low alert.

However I worry with an update that things could change. With no comprehensive set of release notes and as I don’t know how to “go backwards” to an older version of an app - I am hesitant to get the newer one.

1 Like

Dex app is still 1.7.3 and I may continue to hold off on the iOS upgrade since I have an “old” iPhone 5s.

1 Like

In which case…
:smile:

Did you notice any obvious differences when you upgraded the app to the v1.7.3 ?
We are not on this one yet. Either one or two versions back - I forget which.

No problems running the app. I don’t use the follow component though. Sorry, not much help, am I? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No - it is the Dexcom G5 Mobile App itself I mean. From the perspective of the person with the phone who is also wearing the G5 transmitter.

I honestly can’t recall differences from the previous versions of the app. Sorry!

ETA: You can set the low alert to “vibrate only”. Is this an option on the earlier app?

Yes. But maybe one version a ways back there was an issue. It “should” only be the “critical low” that can not be disabled. All the other alerts should be able to switch to off or vibrate or pick ringtone.
(If the device has vibrate capability which iPhones do but iPads and iPods do not physically have vibrate capabilities.)

Yep!

On the Canadian App Store, the most recent version is 1.6.1. Not sure why the version wouldn’t be in sync. The last update was days before the iOS11 launch. Not sure why Dexcom can’t, at the very least, offer the same version of the app in both Canada and the US. At this rate iOS11 compatibility will likely arrive around the time iOS 12 launches :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That is totally weird…and frustrating!

And…welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome.

I tried to get the US App by creating a fake iCloud ID and downloading from the US store - and was successful. The app has more features - like Transmitter info - but the BG is displayed in US units. Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be a way to set it to metric units.

Guess that there is nothing to do but wait for an official update.

2 Likes

Very nice, @WNorkle, and welcome to the forum! I am really looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

You may want to introduce yourself in the Welcome thread so that people get to know who you are :slight_smile:

I love the Dexcom G5 and IOS integration, but waiting to update my IOS is frustrating.

Here is the problem I’m having. Apple releases iOS updates bi-weekly, it seems. Once they release a new one you can’t download the old one, only the new.

Meanwhile Dexcom gets the update and tries to fix all bugs and then let us know it’s ok to uograde. Since It’s a medical device and all.

So here I am where Dexcom says IOS 11.1 is ok to download. But Apple has moved on and is now at IOS 11.1.2.

Can somebody that KNOWS please tell us if it is ok to update our Phones? I assume this affects a lot of us on here but I even called Dexcom and the lady told me to check the website. Frustrating.

2 Likes

IMHO, providing certification for every OS release is stupid. I work on major systems and the certifications are only at the major release. In any event - it is what it is.

Apple iOS 11.1.2 released on 16 November is the most current generally available Apple OS.
iOS 11.2.0 [beta] has been released to developers and those in the beta program with an expected general availability at some point in December.

As of right now, Dexcom web site lists iOS 11.1.0 as the most current version of the Apple system which is compatible with the Dexcom G5 Mobile app.

If you run into problems and ask Dexcom Technical Support for assistance, it would be well within their rights to tell you they can not support problems on an iOS which they have not listed as being compatible with Dexcom.

The most recent version of the Dexcom G5 Mobile App for iOS is version 1.7.3 updated on Sept 18, 2017. Specifically listed as “what’s new in version 1.7.3” is “OS compatibility updates”.

Apple iOS 11 was released on Sept 19, 2017.

It is pretty clear that version 1.7.3 of the Dexcom G5 Mobile App for iOS was specifically released for the Apple iOS 11 system.
It is also clear that there have been no further Dexcom G5 Mobile App releases for any of the various updates to iOS 11 which Apple has subsequently released.

At this point, I would generally “assume” (yeah - you know where that often leads) that the current Dexcom G5 Mobile app as v1.7.3 is likely going to be compatible with any of the various iOS 11.x.y releases that Apple puts out.

FWIW - We are currently running iOS 11.1.2 and using Dexcom G5 Mobile app v1.7.3 with no obvious problems.

2 Likes