Omnipod placement: where is best?

Okay, @Beacher, I’m following your lead here. Going to pretend like I’m you and use your sites as my rotation guide.

I’ll start with my abdomen since I was planning on doing that anyway. :grin: But then I will make myself go through them.

I’m kind of a wimp about these things. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

To get the best result wherever you place it, when you hit ‘start’ you should always pinch up on the end where the cannula is while pushing down the cannula end with your index finger. I have been doing that since I started using pods (at the recommendation of someone on FUD - can’t remember who), and I have not had any of the problems that I see some people posting about. Good luck!

2 Likes

Dang. I read this about 18 minutes too late. :woman_facepalming:

I also forgot to put skin tac… did I read somewhere that you could use skin tac??

You’ll try it next time. I think it just helps to get the cannula inserted properly.

I am one of the lucky ones who is able to keep the pods on for 3 days without any additional help. Sometimes some of the edges roll up a bit on my lower back, but as long as the main part of the pod is well attached I don’t think it matters (unless you knock it off of course!).

The good news is that you’ll have another chance in 3 days and 8 hours to get it right. :smiley:

Regarding skin tac, we found that we don’t need it for Liam…it was causing the area to become TOO sticky…for an item that’s going to be on there just for a few days, we found it was overkill. We also don’t use it for the CGM right now, but we have in the past. I think whether or not to use CGM depends on factors such as your activity level (sweat, etc.,) placement possibly and things like that.

Also…I learned the hard way to not put a POD down if we just used unisolve to clean the area…say there was a little residual sticky stuff left on the spot you are putting down a new POD…if you clean that area with unisolve, make sure you clean it well with alcohol wipes or soap/water to get all that unisolve off, else the POD (and cgm) have a hard time sticking!

I’ve never needed Skin Tac or any other helpers. Even when I’ve been active and sweaty in hot, humid weather, or spending a lot of time in water, the pod sticks. I do use it for my sensors, but I can get four weeks out of those easily, so I want them to stick long and hard. I guess I could use Skin Tac with a pod and then wear a dead pod for four weeks just to prove some kind of point …

I will also say, do not be nervous about trying new places. It took me a while to move beyond my default abdomen/belly. I wasn’t convinced pods would be comfortable in areas without a lot of flab subcutaneous tissue, but surprisingly they were. Arms, round the back, upper butt – all have left me wondering why I didn’t try earlier. The only exception was the ribcage, one of @Eric’s ideas that I suspect only works in Eric Land.

3 Likes

Ha! :smiley:

Sorry about the ribcage problem, but I still like that spot!

I like this spot too. Put the pod where the guy’s hand is in this pic.

I don’t believe you. This is some evil sadistic Halloween trick. (“No, really, Beacher, put your hand on the stove element. It’s freezing cold, I tell ya.”)

4 Likes

Try, try, try, Beach. That’s how you know.

Seriously, I like this spot. Doesn’t get in the way of sleep or anything. Promise I like it, it’s not a joke.

There’s something about the placement of the blue oval disc that feels contrived… I don’t trust you either… Eric. :thinking:

For Liam, it’s upper and outer thighs rotated between the for locations and also the direction of the cannula each time. So 8 distinct locations/sites. When he gets older we’ll try abdomen. Arms, for us, are strictly for CGM, rotated every 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I’m using my abdomen and it’s absorbing much better than my pump which I used on my legs. I’m hoping to alternate between sides of my abdomen with the Dexcom G5 for a while. Of course it’s only my 2nd pod.

I imagine I will have to use the triceps area arms once my stomach gets scarred and such. Or maybe I should try it before wrecking my abdomen?

I cannot figure out the shoulder pic here, is that serious? My shoulders are so tight I don’t think there’s anything but muscle. Probably not a good idea to pod there, for me anyway.

1 Like

QUIcK QUESTION:[quote=“gorf, post:33, topic:5327”]
I cannot figure out the shoulder pic here, is that serious?
[/quote]

It absolutely is serious. @Eric says he likes the site because it’s out of the way and doesn’t touch anything. I was thinking about trying it out at my next change— which will be my 2nd only pod. :slightly_smiling_face: I have no idea what to say about the muscle stuff though. Eric?? If you’re around??

I think it’s very important to rotate from the start. I keep a log by date of my pod placements so that I know when I last used a spot. My rotation is left upper thigh, lower thigh, upper butt, upper back, and upper butt 1" over from last spot. Then I do it all over again on the right side. Then when I go back to the left side I put all the pods in the opposite direction (eg. cannula up instead of down). If you do this diligently then you will avoid scarring (and you will absorb insulin better). I don’t like using my abdomen so I avoid it. Note that I am pretty petite, so you may be able to find more spots than me.

Thanks it’s good to know! I like hearing about people’s different ideas, tips and tricks so to speak. Very helpful indeed.

@Lisa
@Nickyghaleb

1 Like