Long term pump use and infusion sets

Actually it’s not a crazy idea. A number of pump users here, particularly those on the Omnipod, use the upper butt – just above or below the waistband, not the part you sit on. I do it myself and it’s very comfortable. In the beginning I worried I’d be pressing against chair backs, but that never happened.

There are also the upper arms, at least one person uses her calves, some people like the back-of-the-neck area, even between the ribs, and I use my pecs but I’m not sure how that works for a woman. (Of course not all these are so easy to reach with tubed pumps.) I can’t use my abdomen because of scar tissue from pump use decades ago, but using the pod has enabled me to use many more sites I would never have thought of.

But of course if nothing works out, you could try injections again. In the 30 years you’ve been pumping, both long-acting and short-acting insulins have improved considerably, and some people find there’s little difference from pumping. Inhaled Afrezza is another option you might explore.

Good luck!

7 Likes