OmniPod Lessons Learned

Getting ready to start on the OmniPod pump. Interested in hearing the “I wish I would have known” examples of your experience when first starting. I’m actually excited as I know it will help in my management and will actually make my life easier in other ways. Open to any personal lessons learned.

If it’s just, embrace and move forward, that’s fine. I found this site and answers to Dexcom G6 sensor errors (answers working already) and hoping to get the same type of information to keep any personal frustrations to a minimum.

This forum is awesome.

8 Likes

I started Omnipod in January and it has been fantastic. Pod placement involved some trial and error…for some reason my arms and abdomen work great but I have had zero success on thighs. My observation was the bad pod sites hurt like all get out but the good pod sites are pain free.

My other $0.02 is that I have never had trouble with pod adhesion or knocking pods loose. When I started I used overtaping with skintac but now I just go with the factory adhesive and have not had any problems.

6 Likes

Hi @LatetotheParty, welcome to FUD!

I try to do an “activation bolus” when I first attach a pod. It seems to get things going better than just attaching it an not doing anything.

Sometimes large boluses can flood a site. Some people will use the pod for smaller boluses and basal, and for a very large bolus they will use a pen or syringe, to help preserve the site.

NovoLog worked much better for me than Humalog. Humalog seemed to deteriorate after a few days, but the NovoLog would always last better. There have been a lot of research studies that support this too. Other people here have observed the same thing for themselves also.

As @John58 mentioned, location, location, location…
Trial and error for that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask!

6 Likes

I agree with the above comments re: location. If you find absorption is poor in one are, try a new location. I used to wear mine on the back of my upper arm, but suddenly it had poor absorption. Now I wear it only on my abs, for 1.5 yrs now, and hope good absorption continues!!!

Also, I use Humalog which had been giving me bad, red welts on pod removal. I thought it was an allergic reaction but now I think it was just trauma to the skin from pod movement/perspiration during exercise. I started using Skin-Prep, just spraying a bit before I place the pod (and waiting for it to dry). Red welts are now minimal to non-existent :slight_smile: Also, I position the pod vertical with the canula on top. I know Insulet recommends horizontal placement, but that seemed to make the pod more prone to falling off during exercise.

Welcome to FUD!!!

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. This will help tremendously. Agree with Novolog vs Humalog. My insurance made me switch a few ago and it was not as effective. They switched back to Novolog. Moving forward, will have my Doc appeal if they change again.

Once, thanks to all.

5 Likes

When it starts beeping, it is very loud. Have something to deactivate it handy. If using a hammer, remember to remove it from your body first. Honestly, with as many people using the Omnipod on our site, there are remarkably few issues reported.

6 Likes

Remember that Omnipod will replace a pod that doesn’t make it through its three days for any reason. Sore site, a leak, knocked off by accident, you name it. It doesn’t have to be the pod’s fault.

Apply slight pressure to the pod before the cannula inserts, just enough to stop any recoil. I was not told this in my training, but it makes all the difference to a securely seated cannula.

The first time I tried Fiasp in the pod, rather than Humalog, it was a total disaster. Insane roller-coaster, red welts. A year or so later I’m trying again and I have beautiful numbers and no welts. Go figure.

You can pretty much put a pod anywhere you’ve got some flesh. I’m loving them on my pecs these days. I mentioned this to my endo and he’s like “Wha …!!!”

Here are two good collections of tips:

Have fun!

7 Likes

Thank you to the entire community. You are all fantastic and provide information that is based on real life experience.

So glad I found this forum and look forward to contributing as I develop my knowledge and management skills.

Truly humbled by the generosity and willingness to share. Thanks again.

8 Likes

Welcome! This is such a great place to learn from others and ultimately find what works for you. The folks here truly helped me become my best advocate (with daily choices, technology and interacting with health care professionals)!

6 Likes

Ok, learned a lesson today that should have been obvious to the most casual observer about filling a new pod: Think about what’s coming up in the next 3 days! I swapped my pod on 12/30, should last until 1/2, not thinking of the potential extra bolusing for New Years Eve festivities! Looked at it today, 1 Jan, only to see I only have 20 units left, probably enough to last thru this evening, but only if I don’t need extra…I mean, it is New Years, there’s ball games, chips, dips, and all the rest of the potential side tracking carbs! Yes, I know, practice some self-control… Se la…live and learn!

4 Likes

Even when we don’t know what’s coming up in the next three days, life happens. Do you have a pen or syringes on hand to take over boluses, and just use the remaining pod insulin for basal?

2 Likes

I use syringes to compensate in both directions. If the insulin is running out too soon the syringes cover boluses. If there’s left-over insulin when the pod expires I suck the remaining insulin out into a syringe and use that up as boluses during the beginning of the next pod.

Trying to match insulin consumption with the 3-day pod life is one of the nuisances of pods compared with tubed pumps where I can simply fill the reservoir/cartridge full, use it until it is empty, and then start the next reservoir (independent of the infusion set changes every 3 days.)

1 Like

Yes, I’ve kept a supply of both Lantus and Novolog pens; been using the Novolog pens as the source for filling the pod. I only go thru about 90-110 units per three days of pod use. Need to do the math to sort out if continuing pen usage or also getting vials is best approach long term. Would appreciate comments from other ponders on their approach based on usage rates. Vials are a 1000units, right? I haven’t researched them as yet, need to start. Have a post-pod startup Endo appt at end of the month and will need to settle that and discuss with the doc scirpts to maintain both pen/vial/syringe availability.

1 Like

I switched over to all vials shortly after starting on Omnipod. The remaining insulin pens went into the emergency stockpile. The vials with syringe are fine for bolus or correction bolus when I need to stretch a pod or when I lose confidence in a pod site but am not ready to replace the pod.

2 Likes

I’ve never done the math, maybe because I live in a place where insulin is relatively affordable. I use pens for boluses and vials to fill pods, simply because it’s easier.

2 Likes

@TomH,
Here is another tip for you. If you are going on a trip, the pod you start with (before leaving your house), fill it all the way up (205 units).

When the pod expires, remove it but do not discard it. Why?

What’s left in that pod, in your case about 100 units, that’s like an emergency vial of insulin!

If you break a vial or your luggage is stolen, that pod has spare insulin you can withdraw with a syringe and use!

6 Likes

I use vials, too. I do have a small supply of emergency insulin cartridges as a backup for pod failure but have yet to use them. I do carry a syringe with me at most times away from home. This is for pod failure, too, to be used to withdraw insulin from the failed pod for an injection. I’ve not had to do that. But it is a precaution.

4 Likes

Been trying my Dash pod on my “left love handle” (not that I have that much territory, only weigh 140). Possibly a little too far forward/backward, having to adjust when in my compu-chair or sleeping on my left side, and my phone keet bumping it (yes, I use a belt holster…so I’m a nerd…). Yesterday, went to the pool with grandson and had a good time; pod seemed fine. This morning, I kept noticing a little 'pinch", but what do I know, I can’t see the darn thing. Asked my wife to check if the cannula “looks” ok, her response…“Well, I don’t think this is right…” …Yeah! Maybe not…

2 Likes

If you can’t make a pod stop screaming, throw it in the freezer and it eventually will (short term solution). Pods seemed to continue working for me for about 5-8HRS after they expired. FIASP gave me welts at the site, but Apidra and Novorapid worked fine. I always had to give a tiny bolus after a site change, but that’s very personal and may not apply to you!

2 Likes

But first try the paperclip to break the pod alarm: How to silence a pod alarm