New to Omnipod

I am about to start using the omnipod for the first
time. I’ve been using injections so this will be my first insulin pump. Any suggestions
for a first time user. Any problems with reliability with
Omnipod? Any preferences on where to place it?
I’ve been using Dexcom for almost a year now.
It took me a while to realize I could not place it on my stomach because I almost always developed a rash. Dexcom does not like sweat and if you exercise your stomach has more sweat gland than your arms. had a lot of failed startups on new sensors on my arms until I discovered it worked if I inserted under my arm. The part of my arm as Erma Bombeck put it continues to wiggle long after you finish waving goodbye. Dexcom sensor loves fat not muscle. Any opinion on omnipod? And info on making it work would be appreciated. Also what is with room temp insulin being injected into the pod. Doesn’t that require some pre planning

4 Likes

@Loganbear, welcome to FUD!

We have tons of pod users, so this is a great place to ask!

I have a crazy schedule tonight so very little input from me but I will be back hopefully tomorrow (by then everyone will have told you what you need to know I am sure…). Here goes my quick feedback:

• How do we feel: we LOVE Omnipod

• Location: we use it on the back of the arms like most people, on a 16x rotation, plus 4x lovehandles

• Reliability: on the whole very reliable, more so than Dexcom for us: we lose more sensors than pods

• Room temp insulin: we continue using pens in parallel for large injections (5U or more). So, when time comes, we use the insulin in the pen. If there isn’t enough, we break out a new cartridge and wait 5 minutes.

Will come back tomorrow. Again welcome!

1 Like

Happy to help with any specific questions you may have. Fire away!

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD!

You can use insulin straight from the fridge, it does not need to be room temperature. It does not seem to matter.

2 Likes

We rotate our sons PODs as follows (8 different positions to assist with keeping those areas working longer in each spot.)

The POD is on each spot for 80 hours (72 + 8 hours) - unless there is an error, which is pretty rare…but he does knock them off sometimes, being 6.

• Right leg top cannula up
  • Left leg top cannula up
  • Right leg side cannula up
  • Left leg side cannula up
  • Right leg top cannula down
  • Left leg top cannula down
  • Right leg side cannula down
  • Left leg side cannula down

So, each leg/position sees action only once every 560 hours or so (23.3 days).

3 Likes

I used to use the back of my upper arm but about a year ago, after I switched to Loop, absorption seemed to be unreliable. I switched to my abdomen and absorption problem disappeared. I try to rotate 6x on each side, trying to keep one inch between placements of the cannula each time.

Ironically, I used to use Dexcom G5 on my abdomen (with OmniPod on my arm), but when I switched to G6 (and Loop at same time), it was no longer reliable, never lasted 10 days. So I moved it to the upper arm, and problem solved!

Could be coincidental, but I just wanted to mention it as it seems placement is important, and can be fluid!

2 Likes

Here’s the most important thing I learned about pumping here on FUD: when in doubt, take it out!! Insulet is great about replacing pods removed early because of absorption issues. I wear my pods mostly on my legs, sometimes the back of my arms. I have given up wearing devices on my abdomen because jeans tug on them and also because my cats tend to knead on my tummy before they settle in for naps. :smile_cat:

6 Likes

We have solved a few scratch-your-head problems that way.

I will also add that we have found that, occasionally, the first 6-8 hours of a new pod session show poor absorption. I think we are the only ones at FUD for whom this is true.

1 Like

It’s been referenced a number of times. There are others that have this issue. Here are a few threads discussing it.

I refer to it as an “activation bolus”.

6 Likes

That “activation bolus” is really important when changing out a pod because of absorption problems.

3 Likes

Hi @Loganbear,
I started with Omnipod in January and am kicking myself for not doing it a few years sooner. It has been a great lifestyle change for me and it was not hard to get dialed in with the settings. After some trial and error I was able to make good use of all of the features (like extended bolus and temp basal) that can’t be done on MDI.

From my experience, I’ve only had two pods that did not absorb well. Both of them hurt like all get out when I installed the pod. I won’t bias you by saying where they were located…everybody seems to have different good and bad zones for the pods. There’s going to be some trial and error to find your favorite spots to place the pods and which spots to avoid…when in doubt, take it out.

Good luck with it and ask lots of questions!

4 Likes

I can also confirm that I’ve had a few Pods that really hurt from the moment they are inserted, and continued to hurt. They also had poor absorption. Once I replaced them (quickly) the new Pod was fine

3 Likes

Definite correlation in my experience, too.

This is really individual. Personally I get the most even absorption from back of arms, pecs (male – still not sure how well that works for females), top of butt/hip. Mixed results from abdomen (where my Dexcom sensor is). Worst results with thighs.

Haven’t tried calves or the upper trapezius.

2 Likes

I’ve tried a number of locations over the years I’ve been Podding. Not sure why, but I find absorption is better for me when the Pod is below my waist. I prefer rotating between the outer thigh, front thigh slightly towards the inner thigh. When I need to rotate to other sites I’ll go to the back of the upper arm.

3 Likes

Howdy, I’ve been Omnipodding since December 2019, switching from Medtronic since 2006. The lack of tubing is just marvelous.

Since I was abdomen only my arms are pretty fresh, but I’ve yet to go elsewhere. It’s helped to use alcohol pads on the area first to get a good clean spot to stick.

I’ve only had one pod that had malfunction going in. Insulet was great at replacing that one, was well as another one that did not adhere well, and they even replaced one I was responsible for knocking off when I banged it against a car door.

I don’t like that the pods last 3+days but my usage of the 200 unit capacity is like 2+days. I’m cheap even with insurance picking up 80% of the cost! I’ve been stretching my use by doing meal boluses by syringe.

All in all very happy with the pod, and I’m getting better numbers overall. This is definitely the right place for support.

3 Likes

My first shipment shipped out today. I will have my PODs by Friday and my PDM by Monday. I’ll be on the DASH. I have some questions regarding boluses. I’ve been lurking and noticed that most everyone does their boluses by syringe instead of through their POD. That’s going to take some getting used to for me, as I’ve been delivering my boluses through my Medtronic 630G. How do you keep track with your IOB if you are bolusing with syringe? I am still trying to find my correct dosages, so am currently at 3u/HR and I’m working on doing better with my eating now that I’m really paying attention to my carb intake. However. I have had to go as high as 25u as a bolus.
I’m sure that I’ll learn more as I go along, and I’m sure my trainer will be able to help with that, but thought I’d get started asking questions so I can prepare myself…

Thanks!

1 Like

egreen76

I do all my bolus and basal through my pod. I think a main reason some might still use a syringe for bolus is because the pod only holds 200 units of insulin. So if you use a lot of insulin then having enough in a pod might be a problem.

A couple of possible solves is having a prescription for pods every 2 days instead of three. Or using the pods for basals and doing all or some of the boluses through a MDI shot. Some people do the opposite. Save the pod for bolusing and do a basal injection. Or originally what my doctor prescribed was Humalog U 200. A double strength concentrate. I didn’t end up needing it as when I switched to a pump I ended up using less than half the amount of insulin but I stayed on it as I liked it.

PS Sometimes giving high doses on a pump doesn’t work well, you can get tunneling on any pump. So some split up the doses.

3 Likes

Like with your 670, if you suspect a POD or Site problem use the syringe to avoid a long time of running high. But I would suspect that most everyone here uses the POD for most of their dosing. The exception being some people who are susceptible to the tunnelling will use a syringe for any bolus above X units. I think the X changes person to person.

2 Likes

I agree with @Marie and @Chris. I use the pod for all insulin, basal and bolus. I only use a syringe for a correction bolus when I have a persistent high due to a bad pod. My boluses are generally <= 2U.

2 Likes

Thank you all! I was a little confused on that when I was reading. My Dr. wrote the RX for me to change every 2 days…I think the RX for my insulin is actually written out to allow for 150U every 24 hours as needed through pump…I’ at 3u/hr currently on my 630G and I have a Dexcom G6 so I tend to check my sugar about every 2 hours or so. I’m beginning to notice though that I’m having to bolus just about every time I check my sugar, almost like the 3u/hr isn’t enough to cover my blood sugar even before/after meals. I’m on Novolog U100 Current sensitivity level is set to 21mg/dL per U with Active Insulin time at 4 hours. I am not feeling confident enough to tweak that on my own yet. I do not see an Endo. I have talked my PCP into following me and allowing me to work with my trainer and my reseaarch to dose. How can I determine my sensitivity level and active insulin time?