Tips and Tricks needed for the OmniPod

Sorry if this has been talked about already, but I’m currently fighting a 400+ blood sugar and don’t have the brain energy to search further.

I was set up with the OmniPod Dash last Thursday and I’m not impressed so far. I’ve yet to find a site that isn’t insanely uncomfortable while sleeping (I don’t have one set sleeping position and don’t understand how people do). I’ve tried both sides of my abdomen (where my previous pump, the Medtronic 670G, was), my left arm, and now my left leg and my blood sugars haven’t been below 224. This morning, I tried putting the pod on my right leg, stood up, and the change in position/skin caused the adhesive to just pop right off. I also got a super rude awakening at 6:30am my the pod nonstop screaming at me, even though the PDM couldn’t detect it. I had to search a YouTube video of how to destroy a paperclip and get it to stop, but I swear to God I was a minute away from smashing it with a hammer.

Sorry for the obvious rage, but is there anything I’m missing about what makes the OmniPod God’s gift to diabetics? It feels like it was made by people who thought it was a good idea in theory but have never actually worn a pump, much less are diabetic. So far the only pros are not being constantly tethered to something and that my insurance covers it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry and understand!

I’ve only ever been able to get my arms and low back to work. I’m skinny and am active sleeper so it is tough!

I also found out I need to use Novolog and not Humalog in the Omnipod. Humalog broke down too fast and gave me allergic reactions eventually.

I also have to inject anything larger than a 1 or 2 unit bolus bc of how skinny I am. My skin just can’t handle boluses at the site. But it does well for basal for me…better than Lantus did which is why I keep going with it.

I understand your frustration!!!

5 Likes

I appreciate it! If it’s still high, I might take it off and use syringes until my appointment next week. Thanks for understanding :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think most of us using OmniPod understand your issues! Currently I can only use the pod on my lower stomach which makes it hard to rotate to a fresh site every three days. My last pad located to the left of my navel gave me a bad infection. So I won’t use that site for a while. I used to use the back of my arms but then those sites seem to cause insulin resistance. I may try that area again.

In other words, you have to find good sites that work for you. At least that is the case for me. I hope you can. Good luck.

4 Likes

Do you actually change your site from different body parts every time like they recommend? Because it seems like the only place I absorb insulin is my stomach and I would rotate sites in the M-W pattern they teach Medtronic users. Would that work for the omniPod as well?

2 Likes

I only use my stomach moving the new pod about an inch over from the old position. Not a lot of space to rotate, I know. Sorry I’ve not used Medtronic so I don’t know what they recommend. I try to give a site at least a full week of rest.

3 Likes

I’ve found a lot of different places. On my shoulders, next to my neck, lower back, upper thighs, butt, etc.

To me the big deal is no tubing. That’s huge for me.

I think you just gotta try different places and see what works best. And like @T1Allison said, NovoLog is better than Humalog in a pump.

4 Likes

And don’t feel bad using a syringe from time to time. My son regularly uses a syringe to deal with issues that might be pump related. It can help buy time to be in a better state of mind to troubleshoot.

7 Likes

And one line that we remind ourselves of regularly, which @Eric introduced us too, is, “If in doubt, change it out.”. If we see Liams BGs rising inexplicably we first check the site to make sure he didn’t jar it loose and pull out the cannula. If it looks in tact, we give more insulin, isf we continue seeing a rapid rise with no sign of coming down after another 15 min or so we just change out the POD. For us, 9 times out of 10, we see a nearly immediate turning of the curve once he has the new POD on.

6 Likes

Can’t emphasize this enough! Plus Insulet will replace Pods pulled early when you call their support line.

8 Likes

As an “active” sleeper, I can say two things about pods:

• In time, my brain came to recognize where my pod was and kept me off it. Though I still move a lot, I no longer turn side to side. There’s no conscious thought “Don’t roll to that side, it’s where my pod is,” but it’s like my body knows it’s not a good idea.
  • Pecs. Except for maybe closer to the navel (which is not a good absorption site for me), this is the best spot. It doesn’t matter which side I roll to, the pod isn’t pressed against the mattress. Not great if you’re also a front-sleeper, though.

I don’t recall your answer from another thread about who set your PDM numbers, but don’t wait for your appointment to tweak them. Crank them up now, is what I would do. All my subsequent settings have been way higher than what the trainer initially set.

PS. I hated my pods for the first month or so because of highs and because no site seemed comfortable. Now I am not even aware they are there.

7 Likes

Honestly I tried the Omnipod for about 6 weeks and I hated it. Just so you know, you have a right to return it within 30-45 days if you aren’t happy with it. I love my Tandem pump :wink:

6 Likes

Glad there are so many options for folks today! I can’t imagine the older days when pumps and CGMs didn’t even exist!

5 Likes

I appreciate all of your advice so much! I tried again today on my stomach closer to my belly button, and my sugars are still high but not nearly as high as yesterday. I saw something about pressing down on the Pod while the cannula is being inserted, does anyone know anything about that? Could that be my issue?

2 Likes

I’m using Novolog, so that’s good! And I definitely know it works because I took my insulin via syringe yesterday and was able to bring my sugars down.

3 Likes

Thank you so much telling me that! I called OmniPod today and they’re sending me replacements for all five of the Pods that wouldn’t work!!

6 Likes

Yes, you should press down slightly on the cannula when inserting to be sure it gets fully inserted.

5 Likes

Hi! Everyone has already given great tips for you but just thought I’d add - I’ve been using the Omnipod for several years & when I started, the person who trained me to use it said to pinch the skin when the canula is being inserted (like you would if you were doing a shot.) Maybe that would help too :upside_down_face:

For sites, I’ve found thighs, lower back (above butt but not in the way of pants waistline :wink:) to be good spots. I’ve seen others use their arms too - which is where I usually put my CGM so haven’t used it for the pods.

I definitely agree with everyone who mentioned discarding the pod if you’re unexplainably high - they always replace the pods, even if you don’t have the actual pods anymore.

7 Likes

Very good point! We do this 100% of the time!

5 Likes

I am personally not a fan of pumps (Medtronic for 5 years was enough for me), but am surprised how often I hear pumpers using syringes… no one on MDI uses syringes… you should call your Dr immediately and request a basal and bolus pen system immediately for backups and pump fails… also might want to try 4"opsite flex fit or iv3000 over the pod to keep it on… I use it for the Cgm, but it should work for your pods coming off issues

1 Like