My Son is My Favorite FUD Ambassador

My older son is quite the FUD Ambassador!

He started middle school this year, which is partially why I’ve fallen off the radar for a bit again. I’m figuring out the logistics of two schools for my boys, buses, middle school sports, renting an orchestra instrument, COVID quarantine procedures (already went through our first close contact and homeschool scenario within the first week of school), etc.

ANYWAY, my middle school son has started up a friendship with a boy in his classes who has T1D. My kiddo asked him, “Do you go to the diabetes website where all of the diabetics meet each other, help each other, and become friends?” I love that description of FUD!

Also, kids aren’t allowed to have their phones out during the day, but obviously his friend has his out frequently. Other kids at lunch were saying, “Why does he get to have his phone? That’s not fair!” and my son was like, “He needs it for his Dexcom. It’s how he takes care of himself.” :slight_smile:

And related to this…

…I was at my younger son’s fall baseball league game tonight. I’ve noticed that one of his teammates has a 7ish year old sister who wears a Dexcom on her arm and carries a diabetes gear purse everywhere. Tonight, she was doing cartwheels behind my chair and I was trying to catch her eye or her family members’ eyes. I pulled my sleeve up to show my pod. The little girl was in her own world, but I caught her dad’s eye. He immediately lit up and yelled for his daughter, “There’s a lady that wants to talk to you! Go talk to her!” So I compared D equipment with her but she got shy and ran and hid behind her mom. But the whole family (I assume parents, grandparents, aunts) turned around so excited and were like, “Did you see HER pod? It’s on her leg! Do you have a Dexcom?!?” My son was up to bat shortly thereafter and the little girl was shy anyway, so I didn’t push much more contact. But we have another month of games to build a little bridge. I hope when the little girl sees me, that she feels like she is not the only one like her. And I hope when her family sees me, they see what her future can be like if that’s what she wants: spending a normal night at the ball field watching her kids play after having totally safe and healthy pregnancies. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

… or at a restaurant, or on a family trip, or having sleep-overs… UNLIMITED !

5 Likes

As opposed to…

Yay! :heart:

5 Likes

Hahahahaha

3 Likes

A couple of diabetes ambassadors in the T1Allison clan, good work both of you. That little girl when she has a chance to process what she saw will be grateful.

And she was doing cartwheels, doesn’t sound like she’s letting diabetes keep her feet on the ground.

6 Likes