8 years and counting…

It’s my diaversary week (I was so sick I don’t recall which day I was admitted to hospital) and I want to share a conversation I had with my granddaughter (age 10):

She: Nonna, what’s the worst thing about having diabetes?

Me: Um, the unpredictability of results and learning how to deal with all the weird things that can happen.

She: It’s not all bad is it?

Me: I sure eat better and am pretty healthy otherwise.

She: So what’s the best thing about having diabetes?

Me: All the friends I’ve made in the online community and knowing that no matter what happens, I am not alone.

Many thanks to my FUD family for friendship, support, and information on this “long, strange trip”!

17 Likes

I love that!!

Conversations with kiddos are the best! Thanks for sharing and thank you for your awesome friendship and support, too!!

8 Likes

FUD certainly is one of the best things to happen to me in the last 5 years.

It has been a bit of strange trip at times.

8 Likes

@CatLady What a spot-on discussion…and SO true!

Mine went a little different:
6yr old Oliver: When were you born Pop-Pop?
Pop-Pop: 1954
6yr old Oliver: So, a really really long time ago?
Pop-Pop: Yes, Oliver, and thank you for bringing that to my attention.
At least he did NOT say: It’s ok, Pop-Pop, I’m glad you’re not dead yet…
Kids are wonderful…:wink:

9 Likes

Folks, I opted to delete all posts that were not relevant to my original post expressing gratitude to the community and sharing the perspective I’ve gained living with diabetes.

8 Likes

@CatLady, this was great to read. And congrats on 8 years!

Conversations like this are wonderful. I had a similar conversation with my son a few years ago. We checked his BG because he had been real thirsty and wasn’t feeling well. Just a quick sanity check.

He said to me that if he was a diabetic, it wouldn’t be a big deal because it didn’t look like it had stopped me from doing anything.

6 Likes