Jelly Mini Android Phone

I just bought one of these as a backup for travel. I’m going to mirror my AndroidAPS system on it in case my primary phone (Google Pixel 2 XL) break or is lost. I’m glad I found this thread, thank you for posting @docslotnick

I travel to Europe and Africa and have had good luck with the GigSky global sim card, as the data rates they offer are cheaper than their competitors and the thing just works.

https://goo.gl/lgv4Pa
(Shameless plug here, but I saved money this way when I bought mine) $10 off with code ALEX212

3 Likes

@sanfran, how is your battery life? @docslotnick wrote a few months ago that battery life is a problem. Or maybe @TiaG ?

I would like one too. But I always forget my portable charger everywhere, so I need a good battery. We are leaving for a year-long trip and I also need a backup.

@Kaelan, I already sent it back to Amazon. 2 problems, the battery lasts all of 5 hours and the screen is far too small to use for using a keyboard, let alone entering accurate carb and bolus information. Fun looking little device but just not practical. I’ve had a backup Motorola E4 that I picked up at Walgreens for under $50 for a year now and it’s actually a great phone, albeit quite big. I think it will make a good backup APS device.

2 Likes

Well that’s too bad: it looked pretty good online.

That’s great. I use iphone SEs (because of Dexcom) but I break them a lot and it costs a lot of money to replace :frowning_face: My dad would like me to use a holster so that I can wear big android devices, but i don’t like holsters: they make me look like a dork at school and i already skipped a grade so it’s bad enough. I need to find a small android phone with NFC (in case I need to use a Libre some time) that is not expensive with a battery that lasts a long time, and that i can wear in my jeans’ pocket.

2 Likes

Just a followup…

I’m still using the Jelly Pro for weekends (Sabbath) with no SIM card and only Bluetooth turned it. It consistently gets at least 26 hours on a battery used this way. I only use the phone and its screen when I need to clear an alert or re-connect to the G4 Share - but most of the time, I do not have to do this. It stays connected and sends data to my watch, so I can look there for info (as planned). I am still happy with this phone for this purpose.

As for the Fitbit Ionic - I’m also looking toward that device for the future. xDrip+ has added some sort of support for the Ionic, though, I think there is still a need for appropriate watchface(s) that read and display the data – It’s coming, I just don’t know when. I’m anxious to see a solution, though!

2 Likes

@Thasgolas, this is outstanding: essentially, you proved that it is an appropriate platform when dedicated to the Dexcom, which is one thing many of us were looking for. I am thrilled to see that it proved itself after several months, this is very good news. Thank you for sharing!

So am I. I have been waiting to pull the trigger to see the right level of support for it. I’d love to see it take off for this specific use.

Would this phone work with the G4 receiver (no Share) to connect to the Ionic? I downloaded one of the watch faces and am charging my (very old) Android phone to see if I can get it to work. If I can, I may buy this small phone rather than upgrading to the G5, especially since the t:slim automated features will only work with the G6, and I won’t be upgrading to that unless it becomes a lot cheaper.

You need Either G4 share or the hardware box that turns the G4 radio signals into bluetooth for use with xdrip.

I still have the hardware box that I used before I switched to the G5. Probably still works if you want to try it out.

Hmm, I thought there was a way to connect the receiver directly to a phone. Granted, then both would have to be in your pocket…

If you’re not using the box, I’d love to give it a try! I just bought my G4 transmitter a few months ago, so hard to justify an upgrade to G5 at this point.

1 Like

Yes but only with G4 share. I was so disappointed when I got my G4 reciever that they did not have share in Canada.

I will send you a PM about the box.

Anyone using the Jelly Mini still? @Thasgolas

I am looking to use it with xdrip and a G5 so looking for some input.

1 Like

Just bought a used one on ebay :slight_smile: so I will make it work!

I was just looking at the item on ebay and “Made an Offer” and somehow I just ordered it… At least for the price I am not having regrets.

2 Likes

@Aaron I don’t think you’ll be sorry. The Jelly has been documented to work well with xDrip+. The only downside is that you have to go through a lot of phone settings to get good battery life.

2 Likes

I finally ordered a G5 for my son. The lady on the phone convinced me not to get a receiver as the G6 will be available in Canada in the fall.

So, the Jelly Mini is for him. Not planning to get a SIM card for it.

I’m fully closed looping with a Jelly Pro. I use xdrip+, AAPS, a G5 and a Dana RS pump. Oh, and a Misfit Vapor watch.
It’s a great little system, and the perfect size.
Not super ideal for uploading to NS constantly (I don’t, I’m an adult and don’t share data with anyone), I only upload at night, plugged in.
I can get up to 18 hrs on Airplane mode.

2 Likes

Thanks for the giant confidence boost :grinning:

My plan is to just use xdrip and ave my son carry the Jelly Pro. The Jelly will have wifi enabled. I will set-up my wifes phone to mirror xdrip and probably upload to tidepool as well.

So no nightscout for now…

Ok - so my Jelly Pro from ebay showed up yesterday.

Before using it with my son, I thought I would get it working with the G5 transmitter I was currently wearing. I turned off my Sony SW3 smartwatch and my phone and got to work.

I managed to install xdrip+ and used the data source wizard and everything started working. The first reading was there in a minute. I was pretty excited that it “just worked”.

Then… my bluetooth reception seemed pretty crappy. Bluetooth worked and I got readings when I had the phone screen on with the xdrip app open, but with the phone in my pocket with the screen lock on I was getting no readings. Definitely need to do some troubleshooting… I noticed another thread that I will try to work through tonight.

@Morrisminor72 - what settings do you use for Bluetooth in xdrip for the jelly? Any magic you needed to do to get it to work.

2 Likes

@Aaron Look at the power saving routine on the Jelly. It defaults to saving battery power because the battery is so small. I don’t know what the exact setting is, but I have read about the problem before.

2 Likes

Ok, I have location on full, it needs that apparently to stay working in the background.
Then in Settings>G5G6 Debug>OB1 G5G6 Collector Settings I have OB 1 ticked, I don’t use Native, presumptive restart is ticked but shadowed, go on without is ticked but shadowed, Fallback to xdrip is ticked but shadowed (these all the relate to Native, which I’ve turned off).
Nothing else is ticked until Authenticate G5 before each read and Unbond G5 before each read.
In Less Common Settings>Bluetooth Settings I have boxes 1,2,3,6,12,13 ticked.
Aggressive Service restarts is ticked.
I also have Engineering Mode enabled (for resetting transmitters to day 0), but this shouldn’t make any difference in day to day use, as I only turned it on about 2 months ago, and I have had this phone since Oct 2018.
In Other Misc Options i have Run Collector in foreground ticked.
That might be the important tick to have actually! Maybe tick that one first and work backwards…
I’m checking my other little Jelly that was having issues for that tick right now! I lent it to a friend but he had issues with collection…

2 Likes

Thanks @Morrisminor72 there are a couple there I did not have checked so I will changes.

I found this thread one helpful too but you had quite a few more things checked on the G5 settings.

I just made my changes and will reboot a few times.