Getting started with G6 & xdrip

@Icewiz Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. It just showed up after a few days without any previous indication of it on the watch. Weird , I know.
Look on your phone in the log files in xDrip+ and make sure there is an entry for a wear request. If not, turn off “enable wear” for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on and see if you have a log entry.

But be patient. It will show up on the watch.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan!

I bought a backup watch (have 2 now) since they are hard to come by. I just received the 2nd, did all the updates and sync’ed it with my phone with Wear OS. It received a different set of apps from the phone than my first watch, but no xDrip+.

I am going to run both side by side to see when and if either picks it up. The phone Status page says “Watch Service State: Not running”.

I need to find the logs.

thanks!

I found the logs under View Recent Errors/Warnings. Nothing about the watch in there at all. I stopped and started the Android Wear Integration but it did not register in that log. Is there another log I should look at?

You need to enable logging specifically for the wear watch under Settings - Smart Watch Features - Android Wear Integration - Sync Wear Logs. Wear Log Prefix will identify the event as a wear event in the Event Log.

1 Like

Another update. I pretty much confirmed that the new Wear OS Android app will not load Google Play (Wear OS) to the watch. Without Google Play (Wear OS), many apps from the phone will never load to the watch.

I used this guide to sideload the Google Play (Wear OS) for Android 6 to the watch, and magically xDrip appeared within 15 minutes. I’m doing it on the 2nd watch now. Getting the watch and phone to both authorize debugging is an exercise in frustration, but if you try it, know that it’s possible. It’s a combination of having the right PC drivers for your phone (I needed Samsung USB) and watching your phone and watch for debug authorizations. When you are done, you can turn off all the debugging.

I’m imagining that for all of you that have it working that didn’t do this you set it up when Google Play Services were automatically located from the Wear OS app. When and if Google no longer supports Android 6 in Google Play Services, this route will shut down and only those with working watches will still be alive … any reset and the watch will no longer be able to load xDrip (unless someone finds a way to sideload the Android 7 services onto Android 6).

Hopefully this will help someone else.

EDIT: since I can’t post links, search on this for the instructions for sideloading that I used

fix-app-sync-smartwatch-3-dead-t4121409

1 Like

https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/smartwatch-3/fix-app-sync-smartwatch-3-dead-t4121409

Follow that one and look for the xda-developers link from Simon Philpott.

Close!

1 Like

@Icewiz That must be a recent development, because I just reloaded xDrip+ with a new installation from Wear. I had to reset my old watch and reload everything. It took a while but it worked.

1 Like

Interesting. Maybe I was just impatient, but 2 days with 2 watches seemed non-deterministic :slight_smile:

Both may work for xDrip+ but there is some indication that the newer Wear OS doesn’t load all apps.

Maybe it’s not the phone that matters but the version of Wear OS on the phone. Have you upgraded that?

1 Like

@Icewiz That’s what’s really weird. I got real impatient, and got an older version of Android Wear to try out. That was no better, so I reinstalled the latest Wear app and just forgot about it. Almost magically, xDrip+ was on the watch three days later.

1 Like

Interesting!

Now people have multiple things to try. Hopefully this thread helps someone else. Thanks!

Next question: when the phone is out of range the watch will not pick up collection. I have Enable wear checked.

Strangest thing is that the Dexcom Transmitter Bluetooth ID starts with EE and that does not show up in the watch list of available devices. There are about 10 others all with MAC addresses but none with names.

Working great when the phone is around!

1 Like

@Icewiz Running “force wear” should get the transmitter recognized by the watch. Then you can turn it off.

But realize that when the switchover from phone to watch, or watch to phone, happens it takes about 15 minutes register.

2 Likes

That will be good to know. I have some places where the phone won’t go, so the watch is my best best.

I’ll give that a try … thanks again!

1 Like