Getting my head around with xdrip+, smartwatch and Dexcom g5

Hi everyone,

Trying to help my GF to get setup with a smartwatch and xdrip+. Few questions though.

She’s got an android phone and using the Dexcom application at the moment.

Questions:
1* When installing xdrip+ you have to stop using the Dexcom app. Can you still send the data to the Clarity app to get the reports?

2* Smartwatch:
Which smarwatch to choose? Ideally one that can collect the data while not in range with the phone, she often loses connections at home because the phone is in different rooms. Does the watch have a maximum amount of time it can log the data without connecting back to the phone?

3* Can you share your BG with someone else with xdrip+?

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes - There are a few options for data reporting. You can upload to to the Dexcom Share Server as well as Tidepool and Nighscout.

I upload to https://www.tidepool.org/ and use it to produce reports for my doctor (I can also upload pump data etc. if I want to). All of the data in xdrip (carbs, BG tests, insulin) shows up in tidepool.

I used a Sony Smartwatch 3. It is no longer produced but you can get old ones. I have no idea how long it can log data but I have gone for a couple of days on a camping trip just using the watch and when I when I turned my phone back on it uploaded the data to the phone no problem.

The Sony SW3 works with the G6 right outof the box. Other android watches need patches for them to work. Here is a list

Yes - There are a few ways. Nightscout and xdrip follow are the two I have used. Nightscout is a bit of an effort to set-up.

xdrip follow is great and easy to use. My wife follows my son with this app. you can enter treatments on the follower’s phone and set-up your own alarms. As long as both phones have an internet connection they will talk to each other.

3 Likes

Huawei watch 2 and Ticwatch Pro 4g also work out of the box

4 Likes

Good to know if my Sony every dies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

I have replaced the battery in the Sony SW3. It is a pretty simple task. A little work needs to be done to replace the water seal but I have found a satisfactory replacement for the seal. The original battery lasted for more than 5 years. I also have a back-up SW3 in case of any problem.

3 Likes

Wow, that is great. I also have 2 SW3 watches and both batteries failed to charge after a short time. I think the ports became loose. Do you have simple instructions on how to change the battery, and seal? It would be great if you could share.

I’m no longer using my watch as a collector since I am now using Loop on iPhone but it would be great to still use the watch with xdrop+, which I still use on my android.

I hope this reply gets to you. A few years ago I had ordered a replacement battery from a source in China but did not use the battery until this past June. By that time I saw a vido on YouTube on changing the battery of the SW3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJfZYL6PB58

The source of this video is a company called NewPower99. I also purchased their product for the SW3. In other words I had two replacement batteries, another back-up. The NewPower99 package also included a DVD with the same YouTube video.

The China battery seems to work very well. Of course it has only been working for about 8 months. I am still getting about 48 hours for each change. After 18 hours of operation I still have over 60% of charge left in the battery.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for this info! The battery charge retention is pretty amazing, too. I will give this a try on my watches!

Hi! If anyone is still following…
This video is great, but I’m a little confused the phone in the video looks like an iPhone.is iPhone compatible with xdrip now? If so, can someone direct me to the correct source to download.

When I scan the QR on my iPhone nothing happens. I do NOT have a xdrip program downloaded on my phone.

I have read the tidepool , Nightscout forums but I do not understand building urls and all that :woman_facepalming: I have created accounts but can not figure out the fork or anything else

Currently running Dexcom G6 with Samsung A Tab and using SSW3 as stand alone. We are following with Dexcom Follow app. Trying to export more date to Endo. As a parent it would be great to follow more than what dexcom follow app allows.

I’m not set on any specific follow program. I just need to follow and allow endocrinologist to follow. We printed out the graph for the last appointment but it read didn’t not capture what has been going on.

Thank you for any and all help! Most appreciated
Kels

I think you can use Xdrip with the iphone using Spike.

But last year there was some commotion with Spike and Apple, so not sure what the current status is.

Spike is similar to XDrip, but also different in many ways. Not sure if we have Spike users here, but is probably a facebook group for it.

2 Likes

@Kels_eh If Tidepool meets your reporting needs it is very easy to use.

In xDrip+ on your tablet, go to settings> Cloud upload->Tidepool and set your parameters. Then just give your endo your Tidepool login info and your done!

3 Likes

@Trying, I had some problems with my SW3 charging/data port. I had installed a magnetic insert with matching charging cable. It stopped working. Found out eventually that I had to pull the insert out about 1/32" to make contact. Experimented with little plastic U-shaped pieces as spacers until I found the correct thickness. No more problems!

May not be your problem at all, but worth a try.

I just ordered the battery replacement as a spare. Looks easy.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Randy! I will check that out to see if that is my problem, too, as I also used a magnetic insert and cable. I have 2 of the SW3s which are basically just dead weight since they can’t be charged! Unfortunately, I have yet to order the battery replacement that @dmac posted about back in Feb. I switched to the Apple watch (for Loop) so there wasn’t an urgent need as when I was using the SW3 as standalone for Dex and xDrip+! Still good to have them as a backup though.

Thank you very much for posting about a potential solution to the charging issue!

1 Like

The other thing to check if you use the magnetic inserts is that some of them rust from the sweat on your skin. Cleaning the rust off the contacts may be all you need. I found some on Amazon that don’t seem to rust as badly, but all I can tell you is they have pink cables and may be “the older generation.” I tried various things to defeat the rust, but can’t really take the watch off when I go on bike rides because that’s when I need it most.

2 Likes

Hmm, that’s very interesting. Yes, I used mine mainly for running! I’ve not seen rust on them but of course, I didn’t look too hard either! Thanks for the tip. I’ll check that out!

1 Like

Thank you! Sorry for the delayed response

1 Like