CGM, Sony SSW 3, Dexcom G6, XDrip+

Hi,

I recently decided to switch to a Dexcom G6 sensor, because I wanted to have the values displayed onto a smart watch. I found a decent offer for an old SSW 3 SWR50 and received it in the mail today.

Most posts regard Android Wear 1.5 or 2.0 and are from before 2020. I have paired my phone with the watch using current version of Wear OS, but XDrip+ does not sync to the watch automatically and I cannot see any way to access the PlayStore via the watch (I cannot post links, but I am referring to the Trouble shooting page for XDrip+ on Github).

Has anyone set up a cgm, using the SSW 3 as a collector, with XDrip + and the Dexcom G6 with newer software? If that is not possible, can anyone direct me to a place where I can download the old software? I would really appreciate some advice in getting this set up.

The software on my mobile is a Samsung Galaxy S9 with Android 10. Wear OS 2.57.0.444636704. My watch has Android wear 1.5.0 and google play 6.0.1

Kind regards,

Makde

3 Likes

Welcome to FUD @Makde, interesting first question. I will rally the troops and see if someone has an answer.

1 Like

I think I have found the solution. At least I managed to install the PlayStore and now have access to XDrip+ via my Smartwatch. I will start a sensor on Friday. I’ll write back then.
For others reading this: I used the following instructions on adroidaps. Maybe someone can post the Link if I PM it?

2 Likes

Message sent. Looking forward to posting it for you.

https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Usage/SonySW3.html

1 Like

I placed the sensor and set up the watch and the app and both seem to work fine. For those trying to set up this combination in 2022, those instructions do work with new wear os software for the phone provided you follow the instructions.

I have two problems though:
The values are far too high (compared to blood measurements) - I am guessing this has something to do with sensor location and not the software (xdrip+), but in case I am wrong and this is an xdrip+ issue, please tell me. I had this problem a lot using the freestyle libre. In case this does not stabilise, is there a way to do calibrations with the g6 in the xdrip+ app?

The other problem is that I need to deaktivate all settings that use the watch as a collector in order to receive bg values on my phone. Since I don’t know how much room is in the watch database, this effectively means that I need to regularly uncheck and recheck those boxes in the settings. I intend to use some kind of cloud service for my data (for example nightscout). Have I overread/overlooked something or is that the only way to keep the phones bg log in sync with my watches? If it works for you, can you please tell me which settings you have?

Kind regards,

Makde

2 Likes

Yes

On top left side, 3-bar menu, you will find Add Calibration.
The value will be passed to Transmitter, and reflected if accepted. If number is way off, best to calibrate twice, 5 minutes apart. Large difference may trigger sensor error. So if meter bg is 50 pts lower, first calibrate with value 25 lower.

1 Like

You should be able to sync the watch with the phone whenever they are within range. Watch automatically syncs with the phone when in range, and Nightscout if confugured, so no manual operation. Is required. You may want to clear the watch DB periodically, every week or so, using the xDrip+ upper right, hamburger menu item. Reset Wear DB, to clear watch DB, but only atfer you are sure data is synced with the phone.

On Gitter another user posted this: “Yes it turned out to be a problem with the newer versions of xDrip,a January 2022 version. I changed to version 2021.03.08. An older version may also work.”

Apparently this is a bug with the newer version. I will update when I have managed to fix the issue. I also wrote a PM to the developer. Hopefully I can create a bug-report for this so that it can be fixed in the newer version.

I have never used nightscout or any other software, other than that provided by libre, in order to create reports. I would like a software where I can correlate my pump data (Basal, bolus) with my activities and bgls. Ideally I’d import these directly form the pump (minimed 670g), but if need be I can enter them manually. I would also like to write notes and insert images (notes to and images of meals that I ate out of house and thus had to guess carbs and FP). Is nightscout a good option for this? I have done a little reading, but I am pretty short on time at the moment, so advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Makde

1 Like

nightscout is an excellent option, i dont think itll allow pictures though…you could also try bitesnap for meals you are not sure of…you take a picture, itll give options, then you figure out portion size and itll guve you the carb amounts

2 Likes

I was the person that posted that solution for the Sync problem. I started using the Sony SWR50 starting about 5 years ago stating with the G5 and now the G6. Basically you can use any older version of xDrip as long as it supports the Dexcom G6. I am still using the xDrip version 2021.03.08. My Sony SWR50 is the primary data collector, and it relays the data to my smartphone when it is in range of the watch. I get data every 5 minutes on the watch. The watch still has all of its smartphone capabilities like texting and answering voice phone calls. Another big advantage for the older version of xDrip is the watch face. The older version shows the data time delay in much better detail. The Android phone I am using is the Android version 6. I have heard that all versions up to version 9 will work but I am still using an older Samsung Galaxy S5 for my xDrip. I do sometimes switch my SIM card to a newer phone if needed.

1 Like

I will try it when I get my new Sensor and receiver. I am a bit worried, that I will have to apply a fresh Sensor after deleting the current version of XDrip, because I cannot restart the old one .

I did not have to change my sensor after changing the xDrip version. I’m not sure if that would apply for anyone that is also using xDrip for changing the sensor. I always use the Dexcom receiver when I change a sensor.

Hi,
I wanted to report, that the newest build, from the 6th of July 2022, is able to transmit values from the SSW3 to the phone. I also never uninstalled OS wear or the App-Store fix. I don’t think they have anything to do with xdrip (other than permitting the application to work on the watch). If you delete an xdrip version, it disappears from the watch and when you install a different version, that version gets pulled to the watch. I could not get the version you suggested to work @dmac.

The new version of xDrip did work but I had problems with it loosing sync between the watch and the phone. Several years ago, starting with the Dexcom G5 and then the G6, with an older version of xDrip, I never had that problem. Starting the newer version in 2022 I did have the loss of sync problems. I am now again using the old version with no problems except my phone recently has started to discharge much faster.
Hopefully your change will continue to sync the watch and phone. I guess we have one of the only two watches available that reliably show the data every 5 minutes. The other watch is the ‘Bluejay’. The SWR50 or SSW3 (Sony Smartwatch 3) does have more features than the Bluejay.