FU Diabetes!

Happy Hump Day everyone! @DuckFiabetes aka Anthony Hightower here. T1D going on 34 years. Dx’d at the age of 13 in 1983. I love the smell of purified pork in the morning. Love the idea of FU Diabetes. It’s right up my alley! Thanks for letting me join!

6 Likes

You are more than welcome! Glad you and your wisdom have found us.

1 Like

Welcome Anthony! Love the image! :smiley: Looking forward to interacting with you and getting some of that 34 years of experience and wisdom. I’m Harold, parent of a T1 Toddler (he’s 3 now and was diagnosed 1 year 3 months ago, when he was 2.)

1 Like

Hey DF, welcome here!

When you get a chance, add your years to our Combined Years thread. If you do, Michel will be buying us all beer soon!

1 Like

@DuckFiabetes Hey Anthony. I think you’ve caught the vibes going on over here! Welcome!
I was a purified beef eater back in the day. It was a kosher thing, of all things.

1 Like

Welcome, Anthony, it is GREAT to see you here!

I look forward to read some of your stories. My son, who is 12 years old (T1D), gets really inspired by the life stories of long-time diabetics who have gone through much harder times than him.

What a great name, btw, @DuckFiabetes – we were made to be together!

1 Like

I could possibly make an argument that it was easier back then. We didn’t have alarms going off at all hours and waking us up in the middle of the night when we had bad BG.
:joy:
Just laughing at the thought, since we were chatting last night at about 1am.:sleeping:

3 Likes

Back in the day we never even knew if our Bg was high! Ignorance was bliss :scream:

2 Likes

I started using Ketone & Chem Strips when I was first diagnosed. Home BG meters weren’t available until about a year later. I also remember only getting 4 test approved per day. We had to cut them in half to double up.

3 Likes

Love your pic! I just showed it to my 12-year-old - he is amazed.

@DuckFiabetes I do remember those days. Dx’d in '71. I started using the pee sticks, but after about a year I really didn’t see the point of it. You would pee on the stick and know what your Bg was six or eight hours ago. If it was high there was nothing you could do about it anyway, so why bother?

The glucometer in about '82 (or '83?) was a big step forward, but it was like a science experiment every time you checked. Still couldn’t do anything about it if you were high though.

Amazing how far we’ve come!

BTW, It’s great to have some more of us long term T1’s gracing the forum :grinning:

2 Likes

Oldies but goodies!

1 Like