Approaching my 10 year diaversary

My 10 year diaversary is coming up this summer, so I cleared out 10 years of accumulated D-junk on my stockpile shelves getting ready for the next ten years. Found this BG log from the first
week after I saw my GP for a diagnosis.

By the time I hauled myself in to get checked out I had lost 35 pounds. He prescribed Metformin as “worth a try” and made a referral to an endo. Metformin did nothing for me as monitored with these BG tests….average glucose over 400 day in and day out! Hard to believe I was still upright with those numbers. Things improved rapidly once I started on insulin the following week.

12 Likes

@John58

That’s a log you should hold on to. Wondering do you have one for the week after you started insulin? That would be one to compare…

Congratulations on the 10 years & staying vertical :smiley:

6 Likes

I was also diagnosed in August - about 14 years ago. There was a thread about the observation that all of the older T1Ds were initially misdiagnosed at type 2 and given Metformin. That happened to me as well.

It’s amazing how much has advanced in diabetes care in the last decade. The CGM has made a huge difference I think.

Although of course the basic treatment for T1 diabetes, insulin, hasn’t fundamentally changed in about 100 years, we might see some changes there in the next decade!

5 Likes

August of 2014 was my diagnoses as well (T2 mis diagnoses of course. took longer to get to a real Endo, the VA is not a good system for diabetes…)

4 Likes

And @bostrav59: That’s an odd coincidence that we were all summer diagnoses. Maybe there is an environmental trigger?

2 Likes

Whenever I see an early BG log on here I’m quite empressed with the fact that there aren’t any blood stains. No matter how hard I tried in those first BG logs they were always embarrassingly filled with blood spots. :woman_shrugging: I felt like my provider should wear gloves while reading them lol

7 Likes

I guess mine might’ve had pee stains. No blood for the first 12ish years. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

@ Eric

That’s why in those old timer photos they always show them holding the strip with rubber gloves :grin:

Now if you are referring to the pill & 5 drops you’re still missing the cup :joy:

2 Likes

I always used the pill and the 5 drops. Didn’t do the strips much. The strips didn’t seem to have many colors, only 2. The pills gave you different color levels.

And if I recall correctly, we were supposed to dilute it with 10 drops of water, right? Not sure what that was all about.

2 Likes

lol @Eric I thought for a minute that it was diluted but for the life of me I am just not sure. I probably can’t remember because I have a lot of dead cells all over my body. Apparently a fair amount in my head (be nice) :grin:

This might jog your memory.

cca6a13357c85ad5872f0aec0ce66727-2198963430

4 Likes

I had the exact same type of pill test. I remember the gray case that everything fit inside And you’d pee in the case top, and use the eyedropper to get it out of the case top.

That whole process seemed really gross to me, using the pee container and then putting it back on top of the case. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So eventually I developed the skills to just use the eyedropper and pull directly from my pee stream. :partying_face:

But I never had the fancy tape like that. I had the one with only 2 colors.

You are up-town, my friend!

2 Likes

Yep boys will be boys :worried: I am not saying I ever did that :innocent:

Yep looking back at that now it’s pretty gross :pleading_face:

:joy: Right :lying_face:

:confused:
Well I hope to be heading up-town some day :smiley:

Edit for @Eric did you at least rinse the top out…

1 Like

Yes!

I’m not an animal. :joy:

1 Like

Yes true but you are a beast :smirk:

1 Like

I was DX’d by pediatrician smelling my breath. After 10 days in hospital, used yellow test tape dipped in urine.

3 Likes

@MM2

That may have been this one. I remember using this one just a little.

4 Likes

Ya, that’s the one I used sometimes.

But I just remember it being 2 colors. Like it never landed on any of the in-between. It was either yellow or black.

So I guess it was supposed to show more colors, but it never did for me. And I just didn’t remember the colors. But heck, 50 years ago. :man_shrugging: :joy:

2 Likes

@Eric

The photo says it all… looks like only two colors to me :joy:

I remembered last night that my Dad use to smell my breath & could tell most of the time when I was getting High. Was kind of strange :ok_man:

4 Likes