Does anyone keep a binder of their medical records?

I’m wondering if anyone keeps a binder of their medical records, lab reports, medication lists, etc. and hauls it along to doctor appointments?

I’ve lately found at a few appointments, the clinicians are not prepared for our visit and/or don’t have our most recent labs. So, I am thinking of creating a binder for each person in my family with complex health needs, and dragging it along to appointments. My mother did this years ago for her mother, and it was super-useful.

I already keep a Notes file in my phone that I add to with each appointment, writing down relevant medication changes and instructions (I can’t tell you how useful this is! Trying to remember it all would kill me!) But it’s not enough, so I’m thinking of making a “care binder” or a “personal health record” or a “personal health binder”.

Any thoughts or tips on this?

2 Likes

I do keep a lab results binder. It helps when I see my GP bc paperwork never makes it through to her.

I started this habit back when I was a honeymooning diabetic who was working on getting her pilot medical certificate back. After lots of back and forth with the FAA, I got it back…just in time to start insulin and surrender it again!

But I’ve kept with the habit. I do look back at historical A1C’s and other results from time to time if I’m feeling like something wonky is going on.

3 Likes

Is this post a trap to catch the hypochondriacs? :grin:

So THIS is just what I had lying around. If you need to see what I actually have, I’ll go break out the real binders. :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t, but I do have a medical information sheet that I bring to new doctors that lists my conditions and medications. Most of my lab and other test results just go to my GP electronically, and I can view the lab results online as well (unfortunately not other tests nor reports from doctors).

3 Likes

Okay… I meant to follow right up with the real details but got side tracked. I have learned over the years to keep track of everything that comes out of my doctors’ offices. I keep all labs and results. I also make sure to ask for a copy of everything before leaving the appointment. If you ask while you’re there, they make a copy for you without issue. If you try to get stuff afterwards, you often have to go through their Records Dept, fill out paperwork, PAY… So it’s just easier to ask while you’re there.

I have two enormous binders. I used to attempt to go back in periodically and organize them, but I’ve given up the practice. I now just transfer everything to them, and then put them up for the next time I need them. Every now and then I wonder why I bother doing all of this, but then something happens to remind me.

For the melanoma stuff, I do try to keep it all together. I do ask for copies of every single biopsy result, and I do read everything. My last melanoma that was taken off my cheek was a good example. Before giving me the results, they wanted to compare it to the last re-excision from where they had removed a moderately atypical mole without clear margins. They wanted to see the description and the area so they could give me a good diagnosis. It turns out diagnosing melanoma is NOT as objective a practice as one would hope…so good record keeping is in your best interest. And diligence. And sunblock. Even if you don’t like the oily residue, @TravelingOn… EVEN IF YOU DON’T LIKE THE STICKY RESIDUE. You wouldn’t let your man get away with not doing his insulin cuz he doesn’t like needles, right? But I digress…

I also keep record of all my old physicians… or at least the ones who did any kind of testing. You’d be surprised how often I need to have an old doctor’s name and have no recollection.

What else?? Oh, when applicable, I also pick up a copy of a disk, and I do keep those as well. Some doctors (the better ones in my opinion) have no interest in reading other people’s reports. They want to look at the image and determine for themselves what’s happening. I actually have a standard that when I get to something complicated, and I come across a doctor who ONLY wants the report, I cancel and move on.

I’ve had a LOT of medical stuff to keep track of, so I really have to do this amount, but most of it just seems a good way to stay on top of your own medical care. I’d like not to have to go to the doctor, but as long as I have to, I’ll continue to keep tabs the way I do.

2 Likes

I try to scan and keep everything in files on my computer. Then I print it off when I go to new Drs etc. I could never remember it all with dates and results etc. also I learned this the hard way - I have a GO bag. Like pregnant go bags lol. I pack med list, history, a change of pump and cgm supplies and whatever clothes I want. I been taken by ambulance to hospital and no one knows anything about me and there’s been times I’ve been unable to tell them. Now I have it in the closet by my front door. Otherwise the paramedics are trained to look through your medicine cabinets and bring meds but sometimes they are all wrong and it causes lots of confusion.

2 Likes

This is part of the reason I like wearing a Medic Alert bracelet. It has life-threatening conditions listed on the bracelet, and then hospital staff can call in to get emergency contacts, doctor information, and a list of less serious medical conditions and medications being taken. I can update this file online at any time.

2 Likes

I have no scanning skills whatsoever. It is a big stressor, knowing i have to scan something. So i do paper, and that’s just not a good long term solution. I do, however, manage to keep two smaller folders that are meant for current medical issues. I use one to keep all orders (for my whole family— I’m not juggling THAT many orders), and then I keep the other one for things that are kind of “in the mix”… or things that belong together. PERTINENT. That’s the word i’m looking for— pertinent results, notes, letters, etc. I always just grab the folder on my way to an appointment and will look it over before i go in to see if anything needs to be brought in with me.

That’s really scary, Jattzl. :slightly_frowning_face:

So you are more organized than the lady in the Honest Exchange… who went, by ambulance, to the hospital— naked… because she refused to put on clothes, and they couldn’t get them on her. Which didn’t sound like all that big of a deal (:scream:) until it was time for her to go home again… still with nothing. Sounds like she might want to look into a GO bag. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s been almost 15 years since I’ve even LOOKED at any kind of medical identification. The last one I wore tore out every one of my arm hairs, one at a time, over the course of like a week. Ditched it, and never looked back. But this medical bracelet you speak of… where you can “update the file online”… this sounds more modern. Do they scan it??

And does it hurt?

1 Like

Here are some that at least look good. Can’t speak about the hair pulling of these…

2 Likes

This is where I order from (Lauren’s Hope).

2 Likes

But how would that work with my current (as if 10 years) COMPLETE lack of style? This is a lot of pressure.

Do you know of anything unattractive but practical that won’t pull hair? :grin:

1 Like

I was the woman in Target in her pajamas last week. Never thought it would get to that point, but then there I was.

1 Like

Well, if you want to ensure no hair pulling, as well as being silent so the enemy doesn’t hear you, I would go for a riff on these. I wore them for a little over 7 years and they worked great. Completely not stylish and has the benefit of staying with you even if you lose a limb. Well, they won’t work if you lose your head, but at that point no one will care about your diabetes.

4 Likes

You are definitely speaking @Nickyghaleb’s language of practicality.

2 Likes

Now I’m listening… yes, will fit with my perma-exercise outfit… or MC Hammer pants alternative…

Or will pretend not to be so as not to be associated…either way…

No, they won’t, so a downside…

I’m sold, Chris. You make a great shopping companion. :grin: now if you happen to have any suggestions for headbands, my uniform could use an upgrade. :grin:

3 Likes

It really, very seriously, is. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

It’s literally just a standard stainless-steel, brand-name MedicAlert bracelet. It has a phone number they can call. (I have read that many hospitals will not scan barcodes, go to unfamiliar URLs, or put USB drives in their computers for fear of viruses.)

I wear this 24/7 (since I was a kid) and have never had any problems. The only issue I have is breaking several of them on lane ropes while swimming (and that’s only because I’m legally blind with zero depth perception, so my wrists hit lane ropes much more than average). So I bought a sports bracelet from MedicAlert with an identical engraving to wear when I exercise now—bonus being it’s bright red and so highly visible were anything to happen.

MedicAlert sells much prettier bracelets than the stainless steel one I wear (which, weirdly, I’ve gotten several compliments on…?). But I just don’t care about that kind of thing. The entire point of the bracelet to me is for it to be noticeable right away, and hiding a tiny medical symbol in jewellry seems counter-productive in that regard (though I suppose it’s better than just wearing nothing).

1 Like

I used a bracelet from Lauren’s Hope for two or three years. I ended up going back to MedicAlert because I travel a lot, and Lauren’s Hope doesn’t offer any type of hotline. So if something happened, no one would be able to find emergency contacts or lists of medications and the like, unless I also carried a wallet card with that information. The stainless steel Lauren’s Hope bracelet I had was also significantly heavier, the emblem was bigger, and the metal had a very reflective shine to it that I didn’t like (the MedicAlert bracelets have more of a matte texture).

Additionally, I screwed up the wording on my Lauren’s Hope bracelet, and even though I e-mailed them within a day, they told me that the bracelet had been shipped and they couldn’t do anything about it. MedicAlert has people who will assist you in developing internationally-recognzied medical wording for your engraving. But because I have so much medical crap on my bracelet, in trying to decide what to have on and what to leave off, I ended up with a bracelet that left off asthma. I felt that was pretty important, not only because it can cause sudden asthma attacks but because I’ve had several visits to emergency where the fact that I have asthma has been a serious consideration in whether I could be given certain medications. So I worked out a better wording that shuffled around things so that I could fit that information on. Initially I called them and they said they could not do anything because the bracelets had been shipped already. But when I e-mailed them explaining my concerns, they shipped me two bracelets (stainless steel and sports bands) with the new wording free of charge.

One other thing I noticed is that medical professionals seem to recognize MedicAlert more readily, or maybe take it as an indication of a more serious problem, than the Lauren’s Hope bracelet. In the three or so years I used it, I only ever had one doctor ask to see it. In the two years I’ve bee back to MedicAlert, every nurse I’ve encountered in hospitals, and many doctors as well, have asked to see it. Maybe that’s just a fluke, but I want a bracelet that medical professionals take seriously.

(Also, I do not mean at all to “bash” Lauren’s Hope. These are just my experiences with them. They should be taken with a grain of salt because someone else may love their products and hate MedicAlert.)

4 Likes

My first thought was how pretty… much prettier than whatever @Chris was trying to get me to buy… :grin:

It really is a nice looking bracelet. Honestly though, I don’t even know that I would know to look at it as a medical bracelet. Now I also don’t get out of the house much, so it’s possible that screams “medical bracelet” to people who wear regular clothes and accessories.

My thoughts exactly. If medical professionals don’t always recognize my insulin pump or sensor as diabetic devices, it makes me wonder whether or not someone would check the inside of a fashionable necklace… However, with that being said, I bet if I were passed out and unresponsive, they just might…

1 Like