Does anyone keep a binder of their medical records?

Some people haven’t recognized it as a medical bracelet. One person on the bus went, “What does your bracelet have on it? It’s pretty. Good to know if I ever need a medical bracelet…” which I thought was kind of random. I’ve had a fair number of people see it immediately recognize it as medical identification (either because they have one themselves, know someone who does, or know that people with allergies or whatever wear them).

But MedicAlert has been around for something like 50 years and is the brand doctors seem to recommend to anyone needing a medical identification bracelet. So I think the vast majority of them (at least in my experience) recognize its logo (whch has stayed the same for decades) as medical identification.

1 Like

And it’s been about that long since I’ve looked at their products. I’ll have to go and take a look. I have a patch on my backpack… and it’s falling off, and it’s pretty embarrassing. It does state that I’m a type 1 diabetic, but only people walking under me can read it. Time for a change.

So I’ll check out MedicAlert and a cuff I just saw on Lauren’s Hope. Arm hair pulling is a really big part of this consideration. :grin:

2 Likes

I feel like the dog tags are falling behind in “cool” factor. But really, there are millions of them out there…/s

2 Likes

So this was or was not sarcasm? How did this work again?? :grin:

I’m not knocking the dog tags. At all. Just trying to fit in with the other females around here who seem to have a little more style. I’m gonna end UP with the dog tags… to my husband’s dismay. :grin:

3 Likes

Way to call him on that. We followed his whole tutorial yesterday and now he’s just screwing with us!

3 Likes

So I’m not alone… because I’m usually pretty good about identifying it. But that /s… it’s throwing me off…/s

2 Likes

OMG you guys! A woman goes to the office supply store to get some binders (for, like, everyone in her family) and comes back to a snarfulingly hilarious thread!!! You crack me up!!!

In my enthusiasm for office supplies, which is nearly unlimited, the guy at the check out was 10 times chattier than me, and distracted me to the point where he forgot to use my $10 off $50 coupon at Staples, and had to re-ring the entire purchase. It totally took me an extra 20 minutes. But I saved $10! And I own cool binders! And I’m going to try organization and papers for a while. I feel like I need to have paper to wave at my medical practitioners. Somehow, it seems more believable.

2 Likes

I’m like that about bandaids. :grin:

Hate that. But you caught it. I never catch it in time.

Best feeling in the world. :grin:

I don’t think medical professionals are big fans of that move…

And that might be all in your head… but it’s gonna feel right, so go big. That’s what I say. Go big.

Seriously, did you get yourself a good medical binder?? If I could be more on top of things, I could definitely see the benefit to keeping things online in a “cloud”, so they say, but for now, I do really like my binders.

/s back there on the “in a cloud” bit. Actually it’s kind of /s all throughout.

I’ve tried several “pretty” bracelets, and I guess I’m just hard on them. They break within a few months, and I’m out the money.

I’ve thought about getting a Medic Alert bracelet, but I think they’re ugly. I don’t really want to look down and see that all the time. I had one when I was a kid, but I either stopped wearing it or it broke after a few years.

If I were to get a bracelet/necklace again, I would only buy Medic Alert. Both because of the benefits Jen described and because they’re truly very durable. I don’t want to waste any more money on the “pretty” ones. They’re supposed to be worn all the time, and that just doesn’t work very well when they’re not made of hardy stuff.

As for the medical binders, I think that’s a great idea. I’m not nearly organized enough for that, but I probably should prioritize it. I have a friend with several medical conditions, and she had a surgery years back where they put in that stupid vaginal mesh that didn’t go through proper review by the FDA. Apparently lots of medical devices don’t even have to go through human trials (by law)… I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t know someone who experienced it. The Netflix documentary “The Bleeding Edge” got the vaginal mesh part right at least. Anyway, she has all these problems as a result of this mesh, and she’s currently in the process of suing the company for it. Apparently there’s evidence that they knew there were problems with the mesh beforehand. She had this file of meticulous documentation of her medical records and every drug and medical procedure she’s ever taken/undergone (there are lots). The lawyers said all of her documents were incredibly helpful, and they’ll probably settle for hundreds of thousands within 18 months. I’m sure she would’ve preferred never getting the problematic vaginal mesh and not receiving any money at all though. We’ll see if that happens and if she lives long enough to enjoy it, but I think keeping meticulous records has helped her in tons of ways.

2 Likes

These stainless steel bracelets are extremely durable and elegant:

1 Like