Flying in July. No carry-on allowed

First off, I have to apologize for being long-winded.
So, yeah, we made a reservation on Jetblue for a 5 day vacation in July. Of course, being cheap, we opted for the cheapest flight, as its only about 2 hrs. But, with the new fare rules, you’re not allowed a carry-on. Just a “personal item”, and they’ve gotten really strict about the size. Yes, I should’ve paid the extra $140 to be allowed a carry-on, but between flight, hotel, car, this trip to see my mom is already getting crazy expensive. I called today, as I woke up in a panic about not having all my supplies. With just my normal meds, I might be able to get by, but definitely not all my D stuff. Also, hubby is most likely getting a cpap machine that will need to be taken. I called Jetblue, and asked if there’s any way that I can buy a carry-on pass or anything. Nope. I’d have to cancel the flights, and rebook at much higher rates. I did explain what the carry-on would be for, but they were not budging. Most likely going to have to go that route.
I’m trying to think outside the box, like maybe I can mail my “bigger” meds (my digestive enzymes take up a lot of space), extra inhalers, and an extra sensor to mom’s, or next time that I need a replacement sensor, have Dexcom send it there.
Can sensors be put in checked luggage? I don’t actually NEED the CGM, but it sure makes life easier.
I’m really stuck in my head about this one. Any advice, no matter how off the wall, would be greatly appreciated!

:upside_down_face:

So the most expensive option short of re-booking would be to mail enough of the stuff to your hotel or your mom’s house so that you can carry your medical supplies, but the other stuff that is less critical would arrive in the mail. (I wouldn’t mail a cpap or medical supplies)

The option I would go with would be to bring everything with me and then tell the gate agent that they are medical items at which point I can’t imagine they would fight with you about it. Especially the cpap and the diabetes supplies. Those are common enough that they probably wouldn’t say anything about it.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Jetblue’s new policy is that if you bring anything besides a personal item, they will automatically check it, and charge you $65. Maybe I’ll just stop being paranoid, and check everything that I can’t fit in a small bag. Keep all absolute necessities with me, and hope for the best.
Although I’m feeling very ughy about their policies.

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t think they can count your cpap against your baggage limits per federal law.

4 Likes

According to this, medical stuff should be allowed by TSA. But isn’t specific about whether airline can impose additional limits.
Maybe contact TSA.

3 Likes

I carry all my pump, CGM, and every other diabetic item in a separate backpack and have never had a problem but we’re vip’s with United because of all the miles we have. Friends of ours who are diabetic have had zero problems with medical supplies being counted as carry on baggage. They will even keep the insulin in the fridge in galley for you if you ask them. We have not flown since the pandemic broke and have to fly to Dubai next month which I’m not looking forward too at all.

2 Likes

Update:
After being on hold for over 2 hours, 3 separate times, and being told that if I bring the Cpap or a backpack, they will be put in checked baggage, I kind of lost it.
Me:“So, since I have diabetes, I have to pay more for a ticket?”
Her: “Can’t you just bring what fits in your purse?”
Me: “Yeah, but I could die.”
Her: "You could purchase the more leg room option if you cancel these tickets. That comes with a carry-on. "
Me: Stunned silence. “So, you’re saying that since I technically have a disability, I have to pay more.”
(Sorry, I was MAD, I do not consider D a disability, but I couldn’t believe that she wouldn’t understand my point.)
She talked to the supervisor, and apologized for not knowing that medical devices and medications were allowed, and not considered carry-on bags.
But why did I have to deal with this? They obviously are not training their CSRs correctly.

8 Likes

Would be good to get something in writing from them before your trip!

5 Likes

I did ask if they could email something that I could print out. She said that I didn’t need it.:crossed_fingers:
I will most likely call again (their hold music is growing on me. :laughing:) or take a trip to the airport some morning and ask in person.

3 Likes

Clearly, you just need to buy a pair of these and fill them with your meds!

:grinning:

7 Likes

Or how about this travel vest with 42 (!) pockets?

7 Likes

Yeah Baby, that is an attractive 42 pocket option! The website is cool however, so I am willing to overlook the burlap sack design ethic.

2 Likes

@Mariethm per US DOT regulations, your medical devices do not count as carry-ons and IF they have to be checked due to a lack of space in the cabin, they are not allowed to charge you a checked baggage fee.

That said, there is no way they are prying my medical devices and supplies out of my hands without a lawsuit.

7 Likes

Darn it, they don’t come in black! Otherwise I’d be all over that!
:joy:

3 Likes

Thank you! I did a lot more research, and finally found that in Jetblue’s complete “contract of carriage”. Cut and pasted, and will print to bring with me. Its like 1 sentence in the “definitions”, and then a couple more under the baggage regs.

6 Likes

Have a great trip @Mariethm !

3 Likes

Sometimes when it’s your turn to board, they would say there is no more room for carry-on items, and say you need to check your bag.

That would be a good print-out to have, and tell them “Nope, someone else will need to check their bag!”

Thanks!

6 Likes

Interesting that the cost of the platform shoes and the cost of carry-on on JetBlue are both $140. Are the two companies in cahoots, one wonders?

8 Likes

Being super kind, polite, patient and prepared with bribes is very helpful in dealing with gate agents. Gate agents get yelled at all day and it’s a pretty crappy job. And anything in print to verify your rights is the best idea.

Power tripping pissed off gate agents are bad for everyone and everything.

Good luck!!!

8 Likes

I actually told a gate agent for an airline named for a state that my carry-on had medical supplies that I would not allow to be checked under any circumstances unless she wanted to get me a second bag for my medical supplies that I could carry onboard while they checked my original carry-on.

Sometimes you have to just eliminate the obvious knee jerk reactions that are ingrained from dealing with tons of irrational travelers

6 Likes