Flying in July. No carry-on allowed

I just bring some extra :cry:ā€¦works like a charmā€¦lol

5 Likes

One thing I do that is pretty simple. I put all the liquids in a small checked bag on the way to the client site. Things like gels and juice boxes and stuff. (Or a bottle of wine. :rofl:)

And the client has to pay for the baggage fee, itā€™s just part of the deal.

And I will carry-on an additional collapsible bag on the way up for things I want to take on the plane (like in a duffel bag or backpack). The 'betes things, etc. So thatā€™s my single carry-on.

I donā€™t mind checking my bag on the way there, because I am going to work. So I am in no hurry once I land at the destination.

On the way home, all the liquids are gone. (Especially that wine! :grinning:) And I am in a hurry to get home, so I donā€™t want to check the bag. Since all the liquids are gone, I donā€™t need to check it on the way home. So I put my empty backpack inside the luggage and NOT check it for the way back. So on the way back I only have the single carry-on, with the empty backpack inside it.

Hope all or that made sense. :flushed:

7 Likes

I want to know more about this phrase.

How many gels do you travel with? What do you need to gel? :thinking::rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™m always very polite and patient with everyone who has to deal with the public. I know how much crap they deal with. That being said, I do have a threshold, and my hubby knows the ā€œhulk smashā€ look that I get, and generally steps in at that point.
We plan to have everything completely organized, and as easy as possible on everybody, although it will probably mean me getting up at 3 am for a 9 am flight to quadruple check my bags and cross-check my lists.

7 Likes

Hey, thereā€™s a hoodie, too! :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Same!

My husband proactively coached me on a polite email response to some power tripping PTO moms the other week. He knew it was well outside of my skillset. :grin:

7 Likes

Tell you what. If you are extra nice to me this week, I will actually show you next week. :grinning:

4 Likes

Things are getting weird up in the FUD!! Thatā€™s when FUD is the most fun!

5 Likes

Iā€™m braving an amusement park with my kids for the first time post-T1D diagnosis tomorrow. Itā€™s the type of place that has a lot of moving pieces logistically for me in my head so Iā€™ve not attempted it before. But fortunately the water park is closed so Iā€™m just figuring out how to strap necessary items to myself while weā€™re on rides in case my bag gets stolen from the ride loading area racks. Iā€™m sure tomorrow will be greatā€¦but it will feel great if I have my plan in place and am not full of question marks all day.

But it certainly makes the 40 pocket traveler vest attractive despite temperature and log flume water considerations!

7 Likes

Alli,
SPIbelt!

All kinds of colors to choose.

And they also have double pockets belts.

These things are great. They donā€™t bounce around and they hold a lot of stuff. In the double-belt version you could easily put your phone and keys and PDM and test strips and enough carbs to get you to the concession stand.

4 Likes

Ooh, fancy fanny packs!

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t resistā€¦

5 Likes

@Eric: Iā€™m totally gonna rock a SpiBelt tomorrow under my shirt bc phones are not allowed on the rides even if you have zippered pockets. Being Unlimited means breaking rules tomorrow! Iā€™ll never have felt more Eric-ish in my life!

@Mariethm: Screw waiting for a need to buy whatever the hell that thing isā€¦I need that for my daily life!

7 Likes

Yay!!

:grinning:

4 Likes

@T1Allison
You and your rebel fanny pack are going to rock the amusement park! Iā€™m betting youā€™ll end up having more fun than the kids do!

4 Likes

Successful day!! I smuggled my rebel fanny belt onto all of the rides despite some pretty thorough look-overs from all of the staff. They were HARDCORE about having nothing in your pockets!

The most dangerous thing today wasnā€™t my blood sugarā€¦it was my ponytail flying in my sonsā€™ faces!

14 Likes

OMG, I love this photo! Everyone looks so happy, despite ponytail in face, too! :rofl:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a great picture! :heart:

You are the roller coaster SPI-Ninja!

3 Likes

Looks like a bunch of fun, although getting wet isnā€™t my favorite on rides unless it is blazing hot.

2 Likes

I have to admit I only have two reasons to do carry-on; either it would mean I didnā€™t have to check stuff (that was my holy grail for many years, though I never did the mega-bags you see travelers shifting these days) or that all my stuff checked in to one bag (the one they ā€œgave me for freeā€, after being paid a kings ransom of course.)

Everything we absolutely need has to fit into hand baggage. The only alternative is to go in, lawyers akimbo, and present a situation where our disability pretty much means we have to have an extra seat. Thatā€™s a difficult sell, though clearly possible.

My first, anal retentive, approach was to insist (without analysis) that I had to have everything. Fortunately I came up with the Queen Sized Bed approachā€¦ (It does work with a CalKing too, if that is all you have.)

I built three piles.

The first pile is the stuff I will die without if I canā€™t get it during or immediately after the flight.

The second pile is the stuff I really need.

The third pile is the stuff I can buy at a reasonable price; underwear, toothbrushes, like, everything else.

My first pile ends up being really small; no challenge for the handbag. A lantus pen, a fiasp pen, a few pen needles, my Contour Next One and a whole vial of test strips, some alcohol swabs (vanity, Iā€™ve never had a problem injecting through dirt) and glucose tablets. These things are personal, but necessary; try to take my test strips away and I will experiment with the ability of your body to live without oxygen.

My second pile is much, much bigger. It is, of course, just as personal and I can be just as self-righteous about it, but I wonā€™t actually kill you. A big part of that pile is all those Dexcom G6 insertion devices, boy those are big! Of course I only need one of them every 10 days, so the Omnipods (3 for every 10 days) end up the same size, but, honestly? These airlines do things on volume, not weight, please; I could swallow one of the transmitters.

That pile is the challenge. Itā€™s got my dive computer in it; sure, I can live without it, but for a scuba diver changing equipment is life threatening. Itā€™s got my camera in it, oh, and a whole lot of lenses. They get chucked out - not into checked in, or carry-on, baggage. The second pile forces me to reflect on what I actually need; not a CGM as @mariethm observed, not the Omnipods, not the Camera or the camera bling, maybe the dive watch; I can always not-dive, but then why am I on this airplane?

I have to admit I find a certain joy in it; each time I travel, maybe 6 miles maybe 6000 I have to look at what I am carrying with me. It is one of the chores of diabetes and many chronic illnesses. Yet it is an amazing learning experience; the irony is that because we must have insulin we realize that underwear is optional, thatā€™s something we must embrace.

2 Likes