Dextape

I think the lean bodies tends to give inaccurate numbers right out of the gate.

I never heard anything about Dexcom sensors lasting longer in adults vs children. But it just occurred to me that I have not heard a single parent ever say they had a sensor last more then 2 weeks (or 17 days - lol). So it just got me wondering - did I just miss hearing such reports or is there possibly something to it?

2 Likes

I think they also dislodge and misbehave more easily.

We had more than one go 21 days. There was enough dropout and such that we have started to stop at 14 days regardless. There were a couple of sensors that went to the 21 day mark with no issues.

3 Likes

New to the site and already found a great resource. Ordered mine this morning. Can’t wait (even though I do love the GrifGrip folks). Thanks!

4 Likes

Every few days I check the dexcom tape on my wife’s arm-installed sensor and when it needs it, I put a tiny bit of Mastisol on a loose edge and tamp it down and dry it with a hairdrier on “cool”. Seems to work well enough for her.

For me, I rely on that method as well as applying cut-in-half Enlite tapes. I haven’t yet put the sensors to the ultimate challenge–major sweating for hours on end.

2 Likes

@ErinElizabeth and I are loving DexTape after 1 week of having in Liams’ arm. Check out these shots. See any peeling along the edges anywhere? With Tegaderm, there were huge areas that are pilled away and rolled up, or have to be cut away and more tape applied over top, etc. With DexTape after nearly 7 days, this is how it looks on his arm. Not one single tip has peeled away.

So, we are DexTape fans for life it looks like. Not only does it stick beautifully, but it’s got the old pre-cut AND it’s small and just right for Liam’s Arm (since they offer 3 different sizes, he’ll be able to grow into the bigger ones.)

Shot #1

Shot #2

Shot #3

4 Likes

Thanks for the invite to fudiabetes! I’m Todd who created DexTape and have had type 1 diabetes for going on 33 years, diagnosed at age 7. I’m glad the product is working for ClaudnDaye. Like many of you, I was using Opsite, tried Tegaderm, GrifGrips and a few other products. I have to say I liked them all, but had minor complaints about each (having to cut out, difficulty to apply, etc.) so I set out to create a better product. I’m an educator, not a businessman, so DexTape is for fun, not livelihood. It’s an outstanding product, but happily endorse whatever product or method works for keeping your Dexcom in place for you. In answer to the questions:

1. The date spot is just a pre-printed part of the manufacturing, no real purpose I suppose, particularly since there is an expiration date on the product printed on the outer packaging.
  2. I agree that the paper frame is a more difficult to pull away than I’d like as it risks pulling the edge up, but when we lightened the adhesive there it caused the frame to pull off prematurely when peeling the backing off the DexTape, so it is the best balance we could achieve. I used to cut out Opsite but really like the paper frame like Tegaderm has, so the frame was a must for me for ease of application. Following along the edge between the frame and the tape helps keep the edge from peeling. Doing this cautiously will help the edges stick well. I typically wear a sensor for three weeks, putting DexTape on at the end of week one, but have gone as long as five (just had to see how long it could go, right?).
    I’m enjoying this forum and look forward to learning from all of you as well as contributing!
9 Likes

Welcome, Todd, great to see you here!

You may want to introduce yourself on the Welcome thread, so that everyone can get to know you!

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

1 Like

Thanks, Michel. Do I post in that thread by clicking “Preferences” then
"Profile" and typing an introduction there?

Todd

1 Like

@toddex, you can click on the link to the thread, then click “reply” at the bottom of the page.

But you can also customize your profile, so that, when people click on your name, they can see who you are. Both are good! To do the later, you can do just what you described! But you can only use a couple of lines there: the rest will get cut off when people look at it when clicking your name.

The last thing you can do is go to “My Story” subcategory: https://forum.fudiabetes.org/c/diabetes-share/my-life-story, and post a new thread there telling your story. Many of us have done all three things.

1 Like

Thanks for the images of Liam’s Dextape on his arm – it’s really interesting to see it in use.

How’s the removal? Does it leave a ton of residue? Has he had any issues with irritation underneath the tape?