Dextape

I use opsite flexfix also but only to cover pods and it’s too thin to make any cut outs with it. Plus it has multiple tape sides that have to be pulled loose… Definitely would be a challenge. Tegaderm is easy though.

1 Like

@Jen, I don’t use the punch with Hypafix because the hypafix rolls I get are quite thin, I only use them for edge covering.

But, for Opsite, what I do is that I cut the roll in rectangular lengths that I “pre-package” in small ziplocs with no air, several rectangular lengths per bag. Each rectangular length is exactly the size I will use over the Dexcom patch. And I punch each rectangular length with the punch so that it is fully ready to be used.

As for the Tegaderm, this punch works like butter on the Opsite (when I use it properly).

Thanks! I will have to try this. I got the Opsite intending to punch it (I mostly use the Hypafix on my infusion sets, doesn’t work as well on the Dexcom). When it didn’t work, I just put the whole piece of Opsite over the transmitter. I’m pretty impressed with it so far, but I think it would be even better with a hole.

1 Like

I’ve read warnings that covering the transmitter is a bad idea, since it might interfere with the signal, but maybe that applies only to thicker coverings. What I do now is, I have a piece of white cardboard (although it could just as easily be paper) on which I’ve traced a transmitter with a Sharpie. I then cut a strip of Opsite Flexifix, trace the transmitter in the middle, stab the middle of the hole with a pair of scissors, and cut out the hole. It’s really not a big deal, and I only need to do it once every two weeks, so I’m thinking a hole punch is an unnecessary expense.

However, I am looking forward to reviews of the Dextape. Does it hold up as well as Opsite?

1 Like

I’ve read information both ways about whether to cover up, or not to cover up, the actual transmitter. Some folks swear by it and say they never have issues with signal interference, humidity under the tape, etc., but some indicate what you’ve said. I tried it on Liam for a spell and it didn’t work out for us. First, it seemed to cause the transmitter to push down harder into his skin, which he didn’t like. It also caused more bleeding on his arm. For us, it was just as easy to just cut out a hole to keep the transmitter exposed.

1 Like

My current sensor and the last two sensors I’ve run have all lasted a month. I’ve only used the Opsite on my current sensor, and so far it’s been providing more accurate readings than the previous two did. Probably because the Opsite tape is holding it firmly in place (compared to having to change tape often on the other two). I’ve had this patch of Opsite tape on for nearly a week and it’s held up well to showers, movement, sweat, and is still holding solid as if I’d just put it on. So I’m really impressed!

I think this would be true were I fully sighted, but being legally blind, cutting out a little hole is more time-consuming for me. I have a desktop video magnifier, so I could do it, but it would be like doing a full-fledged craft project in terms of effort. I was hoping the punch would eliminate any need to trace and cut a hole. That thing was expensive ($30 Canadian, I believe), so I’m hoping I can get it to work with the Opsite tape by using @Michel’s suggestion.

3 Likes

I got one of the classic tag punches from AZ last year. It works great.

I use the iv3000 sheets, which just barely cover the dexcom oval patch, but is good enough. A few times I was able to remove, or apply another sheet on top if needed.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! I just tried this and it worked!! I just ordered a bunch of small ziploc bags off Amazon. Finally, after owning this punch for months it will be useful!!

I have posted about this issue of punching tape on Facebook and gotten no helpful responses. This forum is awesome!

4 Likes

Great news, I am so glad!

Dexcom support has told me several times on the phone specifically not to cover the transmitter with a third party adhesive. Stupidly, I never asked why they are so insistent: Bluetooth range limitations possibly?

I have a little piece of tape across mine after snagging and dislodging the transmitter the other day while dressing. No discernible problems.

LOL, I do get a signal loss when a cat sits on the darn thing!!

1 Like

We got our Dextape! I will be putting up pics and reporting how we like it when compared to Griffgrip. We are experimenting with it right now.

My daughter puts the Opsite Flexifix on herself. I will watch the next time she does it. The end result is very solid and the transmitter is not covered. At that point, the sticky will always outlast the accurate cgm data for us. We usually get about 8 or 9 days from the Dex sticky and about 12 or 13 days of accurate cgm data. So the additional Opsite Flexifix ends up giving us about another 4 days per sensor.

That one roll of Flexifix will probably last us about 3 years at this rate of usage. lol

1 Like

Ours was ordered Aug 30th, but it never arrived. I wrote to them and they responded that it was shipped, but must have been lost in the mail…and that they are mailing me another order (with a few extras for the trouble.) Still waiting on mine, though. I have high hopes for DexTape!

1 Like

My Dextape arrived and so far, I LOVE it!

What I love about it so far - and I’ll update this post as he’s wearing it through this entire sensor session.

1. So far, on day 2, there is no lifting of the tape along the edges. Believe it or not, with Tegaderm, there would already be slight peeling along the edges.

Pic 1 of DexTape on Liam’s arm:

Pic 2 of DexTape on Liam’s arm:

1. It’s SMALL! (6cm X 9cm) There isn’t any other product I’m aware of that is this small – suitable for small children/toddlers. Liam HATES when we need to peel off the old tape because it was just too big.

DexTape Shot 1 (in the pack)

DexTape Shot 2 (outside the pack)

1. There is NO NEED to cut out the holes - they are already cut out. The cut out rectangular section is the PERFECT size! With Tegaderm, I had a cardboard template that I had to place over top of the tape, then “cut out” the hole with a scalpel.

2. I don’t see any “reaction” with his skin at all.

3. It has a tab that you use to begin the “peeling” process to remove the top cover layer.

The “tab” that you pull to begin the peeling process.

1. This product is made BY A DIABETIC, so you know he has the Diabetic community in mind first and foremost. Todd (the owner of DexTape) has had Diabetes for over 31 years!

2. It arrives in a nice padded envelope with an inner plastic baggy that all protect the product nicely.

Outer Ziploc protective baggy
IMG_0841

Inner protective sleeve for each tape

1. Lastly, it comes with a nice Instruction sheet if you’re unsure how to apply it!

Instruction sheet
IMG_0842

QUESTIONABLE THINGS AND THINGS THAT I FEEL COULD BE IMPROVED

1. I’m not sure what the date area is for? Perhaps if you have a large quantity of them, to mark the tape so that you know which you received first? But after you peel away the tape, that part gets thrown away, so although it’s a nice feature, it’s not useful to me at the moment. Eventually, if I buy them in bulk, they would become more important (if there is a shelf life I need to worry about.)

IMG_0849

**Note: I am inviting Todd to our forums to read this review, so if he joins us, I’m sure he could help us with understanding this, and any other questions we may have about DexTape.

1. I’ve only applied one DexTape thus far so it could just be my inexperience with it, but the paper on top that gets peeled away seemed slightly difficult to remove. I did end up figuring it out, but it seemed to hang at one point and I had to dig in to continue peeling off that protective layer.

RATING RIGHT NOW FROM 1 TO 10? 10

3 Likes

That’s great! This looks so much easier to use than cut-it-yourself other tapes. I’ll be interested to know how it holds up over time. I’m currently on day 22 of the same piece of Opsite, with only one corner peeling up slightly. So let’s compare notes in 20 days.

1 Like

The MAX mine has to stay stuck is 2 weeks…so if it can stay for 2 weeks, it’ll meet my needs. I change out sensor sites ever 12 - 14 days.

Is it only adults that can get a Dex sensor to run more than 2 weeks?

1 Like

If so, I’d love to know how and why.

The longest we have ever had was about 17 days I think. I thought it was because of swimming, but during the past 6 weeks of swimming season hiatus we have been no better. Even with good adhesion the signal gets bad, drops etc.

Possibly it has to do with very lean bodies? I am groping.