Is anyone else having a reaction to dexcom's new adhesive for the G6?

I have been through three sensors now that have given me a pretty severe reaction. The first one was a surprise. The second one a tried using flonase under the patch, while I was waiting on my Tegaderm patches to come in the mail. The flonase helped a bit. The third one I tried putting a Tegaderm patch underneath the sensor. This one has been the worst so far. Pulled it off after a week and it was red and pus filled. Dexcom’s response: well, let us send you another sensor. In my opinion, they need to be doing more, but maybe there aren’t enough people making a fuss over this for them to care. I do believe I will have scaring on the 1st and 3rd sites where I’ve had these reactions. BTW, I’ve been using the Dexcom G6 for about a year and a half and have only just had these reactions over the past month or so. I’d love to hear about other’s experiences and/or opinions. Thanks, from a brand new member of FUDiabetes!

3 Likes

On your previous sensors did you have a mild reaction or no reaction to the adhesive? Just curious.

I’m lucky and have never had an issue with the adhesive, but I know a lot of people do.

The Dexcom CEO on the last interview I listened too acknowledged some people are having issues and they are continuing to work on it. I think what they are running into is trying to find an adhesive that will last 15 days which appears to be problematic for some.

1 Like

@Tgraves, we have an earlier thread on this one titled “Rash under Dexcom G6 sensor”

They changed the adhesive in December of 2019.

2 Likes

At the recommendation of a similar post I use Skintac which seems to both help my sensor stay on for the my 10 day duration and somewhat protects my skin. I get the rash, and it itches, but it’s nowhere near as bad as without skin tack and heals in about 3 days versus about week before when I remove them. It’s a bit tricky because everything is clear and you don’t want the sensor probe to go through the SkinTac adhesive, but for me it works well enough that I just am used to it being slightly annoying.

1 Like

I did not have any reaction at all to previous sensors up until about a month ago. I didn’t realized the CEO had made a statement, thanks for sharing that!

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks Randy!!

1 Like

Thats exactly how I am…no problem at all until a couple of months ago. I was told to check with my PCP, use a barrier cream or other things…all of which have NOT helped…I till have sandpaper feeling rash to my upper abd from 20 days ago and a spot on upper right arm from 40 days ago…had blisters on that one, so its taking a while to heal…being a diabetic you know how slow healing can be. my last CGM I started feeling itching immediately…I had my husband help lift the edges of the patch and cut away ALL of the patch while I held the transmitter in place. I then used a hypoallergenic tape to tape in place…this worked great. I just changed out and I am using the overpatch they send in case it comes loose. I put in down first as a barrier and put the CGM on top…so far, so good. no itching. If that starts I will try to remove the patch and under taping and cut away AGAIN!!! I have made MULTIPLE complaints to Dexcom concerning this, so we are not alone…

2 Likes

Well, it is good to hear that we are not alone. It’s not good to hear that you too have been having such complications! I just ordered a hydrocolloid patch to use under the sensor. I will try it out with my next swap out. One thing I am worried about it permanent scaring of the skin tissue. I too have skin that has not completely healed. 40 days is a LONG time!! My wife had hip surgery this last summer and the doctor recommended vitamin E to help with scaring. I’ve been putting it on my patch spots and it seems to help a little.

1 Like

Thanks…vit E is a good idea…thanks

1 Like

The adhesive is absolutely awful. My stomach looks like I have been through a way. It takes 4-5 weeks to heal so I have 4 huge blotches at all times on my stomach. When this happened for the second or third time, the stock price was over $600. They got what they deserve, because their customer service is the worst. Since they have a basic monopoly right now, I am stuck. But as soon as there is formidable competition, I would run far away from this inhuman, insensitive company. Their day will come!!!

1 Like

Any updates for someone in the same mess…the company does not care about the 16,000+ users that have this problem, but the earnings were horrible this past quarter, so maybe they will soon listen.

1 Like

Sorry you’re going through this. Hopefully someone will have some helpful suggestions.

1 Like

I have now switched over to the Freestyle Libre and no longer have the reaction to the adhesive that I was getting from the Dexcom. Plus I actually like the Freestyle system better as well!! Instead of having to wait for the Dexcom to ping the sensor every five minutes, you can check your glucose levels at any time by simply scanning the reader or your phone over the sensor. The Libre 2 has built in alarms if you prefer that, but I actually like the simplicity of the Freestyle Libre much better than the Libre 2 or Dexcom! I agree with you Steve, hopefully Dexcom will get what is coming to them for their inhumane treatment of their customers!!

2 Likes

I am still punching a hole in a 3M hydrocolloidal bandage, putting it down carefully on the upturned Dexcom sensor, then applying it to my skin and injecting the sensor. I cover it all with a Tegaderm sheet to hold it on better and make sure the evil Dexcom adhesive doesn’t get out. I’m using the back of my arms now and it mostly works fine with just a little itchy ring sometimes where I punched the hole. I have lost a lot of respect for Dexcom for not fixing this.

1 Like