FUDiabetes

Is anyone else having a reaction to dexcom's new adhesive for the G6?

I have been through three sensors now that have given me a pretty severe reaction. The first one was a surprise. The second one a tried using flonase under the patch, while I was waiting on my Tegaderm patches to come in the mail. The flonase helped a bit. The third one I tried putting a Tegaderm patch underneath the sensor. This one has been the worst so far. Pulled it off after a week and it was red and pus filled. Dexcom’s response: well, let us send you another sensor. In my opinion, they need to be doing more, but maybe there aren’t enough people making a fuss over this for them to care. I do believe I will have scaring on the 1st and 3rd sites where I’ve had these reactions. BTW, I’ve been using the Dexcom G6 for about a year and a half and have only just had these reactions over the past month or so. I’d love to hear about other’s experiences and/or opinions. Thanks, from a brand new member of FUDiabetes!

2 Likes

On your previous sensors did you have a mild reaction or no reaction to the adhesive? Just curious.

I’m lucky and have never had an issue with the adhesive, but I know a lot of people do.

The Dexcom CEO on the last interview I listened too acknowledged some people are having issues and they are continuing to work on it. I think what they are running into is trying to find an adhesive that will last 15 days which appears to be problematic for some.

1 Like

@Tgraves, we have an earlier thread on this one titled “Rash under Dexcom G6 sensor”

They changed the adhesive in December of 2019.

1 Like

At the recommendation of a similar post I use Skintac which seems to both help my sensor stay on for the my 10 day duration and somewhat protects my skin. I get the rash, and it itches, but it’s nowhere near as bad as without skin tack and heals in about 3 days versus about week before when I remove them. It’s a bit tricky because everything is clear and you don’t want the sensor probe to go through the SkinTac adhesive, but for me it works well enough that I just am used to it being slightly annoying.

1 Like

I did not have any reaction at all to previous sensors up until about a month ago. I didn’t realized the CEO had made a statement, thanks for sharing that!

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks Randy!!

1 Like

Thats exactly how I am…no problem at all until a couple of months ago. I was told to check with my PCP, use a barrier cream or other things…all of which have NOT helped…I till have sandpaper feeling rash to my upper abd from 20 days ago and a spot on upper right arm from 40 days ago…had blisters on that one, so its taking a while to heal…being a diabetic you know how slow healing can be. my last CGM I started feeling itching immediately…I had my husband help lift the edges of the patch and cut away ALL of the patch while I held the transmitter in place. I then used a hypoallergenic tape to tape in place…this worked great. I just changed out and I am using the overpatch they send in case it comes loose. I put in down first as a barrier and put the CGM on top…so far, so good. no itching. If that starts I will try to remove the patch and under taping and cut away AGAIN!!! I have made MULTIPLE complaints to Dexcom concerning this, so we are not alone…

2 Likes

Well, it is good to hear that we are not alone. It’s not good to hear that you too have been having such complications! I just ordered a hydrocolloid patch to use under the sensor. I will try it out with my next swap out. One thing I am worried about it permanent scaring of the skin tissue. I too have skin that has not completely healed. 40 days is a LONG time!! My wife had hip surgery this last summer and the doctor recommended vitamin E to help with scaring. I’ve been putting it on my patch spots and it seems to help a little.

1 Like

Thanks…vit E is a good idea…thanks

1 Like