Allergic reaction to new sensor tape

I am T1 LADA…I am a pumper for many years…started with the Paradigm…I use the Medtronic 670G now and the Dexcom g6 sensors. Both work great and my A1c is 6.8. I say the work great…UNTIL Dexcom decided to change the adhesive on the sensors. I have very sensitive skin and break out with severe itching, rash and irritation almost immediately after insertion. I am using a barrier paste at present, but need to know if others have this issue and what are you doing about it? Thanks in advance for your feedback. I can supply pictures that show the problem…this irritation and rash lasts for 2-3 weeks and makes it hard to find a new insertion sight that is clear…

3 Likes

I’m using the Libre right now but also have the same issue of eczema and very sensitive skin. I began reacting to the Libre adhesive months after starting to use it. I personally have found barrier sprays, creams, and thin tapes (such as Opsite Flexifix) pretty much useless as I still react even thorugh those barriers.

Myself and some others have found a hydrocolloid bandage placed underneath the adhesive works the best. I use the Band-Aid Hydro-Seal brand, but I believe there’s another brand that fits the Dexcom sensors better. Unfortunately, some of us (myself included) still have reactions due to having to cut a small hole for the sensor wire, as the hydrocolloid bandages are quite thick compared to tape.

I believe @Randy uses the Dexcom and has the same problem with reactions and may be able to share his solutions.

5 Likes

@mawmawned, it is apparent that we are not alone, and we already have a thread on this one:

I am using 3m’s hydrocolloidal bandage with a hole punched through the center. That works for me, although one one of them I still got a rash the shape of the Dexcom sensor base.
There is a YouTube video referenced in the thread that shows how to do it. And specifics on how big a hole to make in the hydrocolloidal bandage.

5 Likes

Just saw this on Reddit after reading this post here. I am not on this sensor, but thought I’d pass this along if it were to possibly help.

3 Likes

exactly!! I have one area from 6 week ago that is still rough from healed blisters. I use upper arms, upper and lower abd and alternate all areas but its hard to find an area that doesn’t still have some type of rash or left over roughness where the sensor patch was. I am using a barrier paste and it is working for now. I am waiting the 10 days to see if I get a rash or if the sensor patch comes loose due to the paste. the only good thing is that I have called Dexcom EVERY time I have an issue with this and they send me another replacement. I have not had any issue with getting a replacement due to this issue… I have had 3 replacement sensors sent to me over the last 4 months. thanks for all the feedback. I will try the hydro colloidal bandage if this barrier paste doesn’t work…the barrier paste I use is Coloplast. It is very thick and I have to put it on and spread it with my finger and then use an alcohol prep to clean the center are where the sensor wire will be inserted. Dexcom could go back to the old or have some for sensitive skin types. when I had an issue with the sensors coming loose the overpatch from Dexcom worked great and no sensitivity issues with that.

1 Like

Well…the coloplast hardened like cement and caused more itching than the adhesive on the sensor!!! can’t win for losing! I had to have my hubby to trim away all adhesive around my sensor and I used a hypoallergenic tape to tape over it to hold it on. I’m thinking about trying to use the overpatch tape first and put the sensor on over that. I have used the overpatch on occasion when the adhesive was coming loose and it didn’t bother me, so that may work…anyway, still looking for a solution. I have heard that using Flonase nasal spray on the area and letting it dry helps so I may do that, then the overpatch, then the sensor!!! crazy we have to do all of this for comfort…

2 Likes

I’m new here but found the chats on the relatively recent dexcom adhesive change. I don’t typically have sensitive skin or allergies to anything so i was REALLY surprised to have such a negative reaction to the adhesive change. The dexcom rep I spoke to did confirm a change in the adhesive just a few months ago so… Q4/2020 or Q1/2021. My skin was blistering so much that the sensors were falling off…skin and all. Dexcom has replaced about 6 so far while I try to find a solution because none of the skin preps worked for me.

I finally tried this “HealQU” transparent dressing. One layer didn’t work even though it seems to be saran wrap on the skin. I just tried a double layer for my current sensor. I do punch a small hole in the middle for the needle because it seemed like some were getting jammed.

I request replacements for every single incident and I’ve been sending my used ones back to them…skin, pus, and all. I feel horrible for whoever gets my returns :frowning: I empathize with anyone going through this because it does, pretty much, leave a serious “burn” on the skin that takes weeks to recover. I really like the sensor though…wish they hadn’t messed with the adhesive though!!

2 Likes

Hopefully Dexcom gets their R&D team together and finds a better solution. I get that having sensors falling off is not idea, but the higher percentage of patients having allergic reactions can’t be any better.

1 Like