Dexcom adhesive sensitivity SOLUTION!

I have found a product to eliminate rashes caused by the tape that Dexcom is now using. It’s a pre-cut UNDERLAY Patch that eliminates any contact from Dexcoms sensor adhesive tape to your skin. Search for “Stick2Hope” White underlay patch. They’re very inexpensive & can be ordered in qty’s from 5-100. They spec them outlasting the 10 day duration & are waterproof. They come in all colors pattern styles. I was UNABLE to find these on Amazon after an exhaustive search. These are a complete game changer for me.

4 Likes

Thanks Ron, are these better or easier to use than a Tegaderm? I know a number of people use those for the same reason. Welcome to FUD!

1 Like

@ron, is Stick2Hope your site?

2 Likes

No it’s not, I just came across it while searching for a Dexcom alternative because I get an extreme allergic reaction to the tape they’re now using. I really liked the Dexcom unit but I don’t want to keep messing w/ trying to secure the sensors on my body w/ out their tape. This is a perfect solution. Were you able to find the underlay patches for the Dexcom G6? Let me know if you couldn’t find the site & I’ll forward you their link. Lmk -RD

2 Likes

I’ve tried a number of tapes and spent many hours on the phone w/ Dexcom tech support regarding this problem. There’s nothing similar to this product on Amazon either. This underlay patch eliminates all the time and energy needed to customize something to the sensors to address this problem. You put it on first then stick the sensor atop of it like you normally would. Easy Peasy.

1 Like

Hi, Ron, welcome to FUD!

This problem has been around for a while and we had an earlier thread on it. Nobody suggested your patch, so you have added something new.

Here is my own solution, from the earlier thread. I found that Tegaderm was not enough, since my allergic reaction was as extreme as yours:
I just removed a G6 sensor after ten days (wow! full term) and the only skin indicator was a small red bump. I used the technique from the YouTube video described above, a 3M Nexcare waterproof Hydrocolloid pad in size 6XL (about 3x4" or 75mm x 100mm) and punched the hole with a 1/8" leather punch backed by a piece of wood. Covered the whole thing with a big patch of 4" Tegaderm to seal in the Dexcom adhesive. It was a great relief that it worked!

And here is more on how to put the patch on the sensor before putting the sensor on the skin:

I found the answer to how to apply the barrier film under a Dexcom patch: you punch a hole in the barrier film, then remove the sensor patch paper with the code number and apply the sensor patch to the back of the barrier. Then remove the paper protecting the barrier film’s sticky side and put it on and inject the wire. That way you can line up the holes exactly. A true genius posted a YouTube video of it back in 2018. Allergic To Dexcom Adhesive? Solution!!! - YouTube

I will try the patch you are recommending, but am hoping Dexcom will change their adhesive again for the G7.

Randy

2 Likes

I hope this works for you because I’ve been searching for a remedy for months. This takes all of the b.s. application remedies (from Dexcom) associated with the g6 sensors away.

1 Like

I should fwd this info to Dexcom tech support to help others. What do you think?

2 Likes

I would, they may not tell anyone about it, but at least you put the info out there.

1 Like

Here is a good video with other great tips on Dexcom.

3 Likes

I think you should send it in to Dexcom, if you can find an address for them. I sent it on paper to their London office in October of 2020 because it was their only published Tech Support address, and there was no email that I could find. The Youtube video is several years old and they still don’t pass that technique along to those of us suffering from the rotten adhesive.

2 Likes

In the US we have:

but it’s all SM type stuff, though there is a big button there for “overpatches” (sort-of the opposite problem :wink:

In the UK I don’t know; there’s maybe slightly less distinction between tech and customer support in the UK, but in my previous experiences (admittedly 40 years ago) neither worked.

1 Like

Update on the Stick2Hope Underlay Patches: I’ve had the patch on w/ a Dexcom Sensor on top for 15 Days!! I just removed the sensor & the underlay patch. There was no rash what so ever, it was even difficult to see where I had originally positioned it. SUCCESS!!

2 Likes

Ron as a new user I don’t think you can post pictures yet, but if you are interested in that, just let me know and I can get the posted for you.

That’s okay (unless someone really needs to see what they actually look like). I added a post w/ step by step instructions to get to the site & see a picture & description of them. Thanks for the concern though. I just ordered another 20 pack of these and even called Dexcom tech support to let them know about these. Hopefully they’ll put them at the top of their solutions offered. I’m not holding my breath though, ha! Ron

1 Like

Does this still work for you? I’ve used tegaderm below the g6 and the adhesive seeps right through it. The only thing that’s worked for my is hydrocolloid dressings… and not all brands of them work for me either. I had horrible reactions to the adhesive. Scars, smelly, wet…… looked like I’d received a cattle brand that had infected….

1 Like

The 3M hydrocolloid bandage is still working for
me. I put it on a wood block and punch a 13/64
inch hole with a leather punch from Tandy Leather
(Crafttool #07 13/64), peel off then wrapper,
open the Dexcom G6 sensor and flip it upside
down, remove the paper including the one with the
code on it, put the yellow side of the bandage
down with the holes lined up, press the bandage
down with attention to the area around the hole,
then peel off the backing and put it firmly on my
arm. Press the bandage down all around many
times, then inject the sensor. Cover the whole
thing withn a 4x4 patch of Tegaderm cut from a 4"
roll. I am not having any reactions from the Dexcom adhesive.

Randy

Ah I see.

I use the dynaderm extra thin dressings. And I just fold them in half diagonally and snip a little hole in the center with scissors. Then set the sensor on top, aligning the holes, without the adhesive exposed, trace around the applicator with a sharpee… cut it out, then peal and stick the sensor to the dressing. After applying I cut 1” strips of offsite flexifix to hold the whole thing down. My skin gets dried out and a little bit itchy under the dressing but nothing like the adhesive reaction

1 Like

I’m new to FUD LADA forum. Joined today. First post! Never been part of any DM group before.

After struggling for years with adhesive sensitivity, redness, bleeding, rashes, PAIN, swelling. I have been free of this issue for about a year.

Solution?
Surestep protective wipe by medline on Amazon.
Not too pricey but WORTH IT.
Hope you find this helpful.
Reub

4 Likes

Welcome aboard Reub… pretty good group of folks here. Few exceptions. Merry Christmas

Have you tried skin prep wipes? I use them below everything because they’re also supposed to be protective— but the Dexcom adhesive would still eat a hole in me with that alone. I’m wondering if the surestep is vastly superior?

2 Likes