Dexcom app on Apple Watch Series 7

I got an Apple Watch Series 7 yesterday and the Dexcom app crashes quite a lot. Has anyone else tried it on a Series 7?

Dexcom’s website does not list it as a compatible model so I guess there’s no need to tell them that it doesn’t work, though it’s a bit frustrating.

2 Likes

@ned Never buy the A model. That was always by rule, however ever since computers became so prevalent all tech seems to be an A model. Which is a glorified prototype. I have Apple Watch 6 and it does OK on Dexcom. Probably you will have to wait for Apple and Dexcom to work out the bugs.

1 Like

@CarlosLuis We have had the same rule in our house, “Never buy software 1.0 of anything!” Give it some time, let other’s find the error’s the developer “should” have found in Beta testing. Anymore, developers use “public” Beta’s because nobody wants to wait for the completed thing.

2 Likes

Well, if anyone has a Series 7 and isn’t having problems with the Dexcom app, I’d love to hear about it. And if they fix it with an update, I’ll post here.

2 Likes

Sorry, @ned, didn’t mean to imply anything, I appreciate those on the vanguard of newness. Have to admit, I had a small hope Apple was in league with Gwave or other non-invasive glucose sensor developer and planning a life changing announcement with their latest watch. Perhaps next year…

1 Like

Both Apple and Samsung backpeddaled on the Ramen Spectroscopy method the were hoping to release now. No word on the reasons. Maybe it just doesn’t work constantly enough.

1 Like

There have been rumors of BG monitoring on the Apple Watch for years, but nothing has come of it. Maybe next year, but it’s all just conjecture.

1 Like

This wasn’t rumor, but was actually announced by both companies. I doubt such a thing is possible and if it is will it be accurate and dependable. I would be glad if it is, but not holding my breath.

Wrist type CGM designs in the past because of even more lag time then interstitial fluid sensors, and the electrical current causes discomfort and skin irritation. Who knows what the tiny lasers needed for Ramen Spectroscopy will do over time to the skin it is passing through.

1 Like

In the late 90’s there was a company that created a working trans-dermal solution for a doctors office. Every person that came to the office could put their finger on the sensor (like an O2 sensor) and get their glucose reading taken. Unfortunately, it was incredibly expensive to get the computing power because the absorbance of glucose is a second overtone in the water window (unlike O2 that is a primary absorbance) for something that could only be billed a nominal amount to insurance. That was why they keep trying to use Raman, but none of the 6 attempts I know of have been successful. I am unclear on the reasons for this.

3 Likes

The Gwave I read about out of Israel reportedly uses RF, measured BG in the blood vice interstitial, and had better accuracy than meters or CGMS. Could be we never see it, but I’ll hold out hope for now.

2 Likes

Does the Apple Watch 6 work as a standalone data collector from the Dexcom G6 transmitter? I am using the Sony SWR50, smartwatch 3, as a standalone collector.It has been very reliable for both the G5 and G6 Dexcoms. I have a couple of backup watches and parts but the SWR50 is getting pretty old. I am looking for for a future smartwatch. the SWR50 uses the Wear OS and works with an Android smartphone to download data. Any information would be appreciated for the future.

2 Likes

Nope, no model of the Apple Watch can receive directly from the G6. It would be nice if it could though.

3 Likes

Saw this on diaTribe site today ref non-invasive BG systems. Seems things are advancing, albeit slowly as with many things D. Take a look: Non-Invasive Glucose Monitoring: Hope or Hype? | diaTribe.

1 Like

@ned and others – any luck using Dexcom with Apple Watch series 7? I am looking to upgrade from Apple Watch 3 and wondering whether to purchase the 6 or 7. Thanks! Jessica

1 Like

I got a series 7, and for me the dex app on the watch with watchOS 8.1 is intermittent (i.e., sometimes I get a BG number, and sometimes I get --.) I’ve read that some newer beta versions of watchOS (like 8.13 or something?) have the Dex app working just fine. So I’d say if you want a new watch the 7 is a good choice, because we’re anticipating the Apple release of a bug-fix version of watchOS that reportedly enables the Dex app to work well.

4 Likes

Here’s the sad truth about Apple Watch 6 and now I hear 7. The watch doesn’t update complications such as Dexcom data as often as is useful. It’s something to do with saving battery life.
I came up with a work around that works fairly well. It is annoying to me because I like an analog watch face better. Here’s the procedure:

1. From the watch face, click the crown to bring up the app list.
  2. Touch Dexcom app.
    When you raise your wrist you will get the Dexcom display with a small digital time display in the upper right corner.

This can drop out after time, just do it again,
Wrist elevated:

Wrist at rest:

I think this should work on the A W 7

3 Likes

I have a series 6 and found similar that the Dexcom app became intermittent after a while. I read research indicating it was due to Apple’s limitation of how many times a day a complication can query/activate the source as a power saving measure. I read that the Sugarmate complication used the Dexcom source info but through the Calendar app (see their website guidance) and sure enough, the Sugarmate calendar complication worked like a charm…right up until the Sugarmate folks went off line, however the T1Pal account I set up seems to be feeding it fine.

I went on to Apple’s “requested feature” location and recommended Apple establish a setting the users can change to allow specific apps continuous update capability with the provision they accept the consequences of possible reduced watch power times. I recommend all of us put in a similar request to Apple.

3 Likes

It seems like Apple already makes an exemption for the Dexcom iPhone app because it is able to change the phone’s volume, something that (thankfully) other apps are not allowed to do.

Hopefully this means that they might be willing to make an exemption for Dexcom’s watch app too. I know that the available power in the watch is extremely low, but I’d be happy to charge mine 3 times a day if it meant that it could update every 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Well it has only taken them a couple of years to make a simple exception. Remarkably slow considering Apple showed this tech off 4 ?? years ago.

I am always looking for any update for a smartwatch that works as a standalone data collector from the Dexcom G6 transmitter. I have been using such a system for the Dexcom G5 and G6 systems without any problem, data every 5 minutes. This system uses the xDrip+ application with a Sony Smartwatch 3, very reliable app and watch. When my android smartphone is in range of the watch the watch downloads all of the data to the phone, up to 2 day’s worth of data. Of course the watch is now very dated but I have many backups but still looking for any updated hardware developments. Dexcom is very aware of this hardware combination.

3 Likes