Dexcom direct to Apple Watch

For us the gist is Dexcom Transmitter direct to Apple Watch. Nothing needed in the middle.

Benefit? During exercise cgm data on wrist without needing iPhone.

I am planning to give it a whirl this afternoon. If the Dexcom App needs an upgrade to take advantage of this then it won’t work (yet). I tried getting an early answer out of Dexcom Support but I don’t think they like talking about anything not yet released. lol.

5 Likes

So the watch os that allows this is released today? I’d love it if you’d start a thread on the subject of cgm directly to Apple Watch with OS 4. I believe this is what’s going to tip me over the edge to purchasing an Apple Watch. Although I’ll look like a total dork wearing an Apple Watch on one wrist and a nice Swiss watch on the other because there’s no way I’m giving that up

5 Likes

I supposed I’d look like a double-dork, then, if I got an Apple Watch, but kept wearing my Gear 2 watch which has a very handy IR blaster (controls TV, etc), 2MP camera… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

An Apple watch has been sitting in my shopping cart for a while for this. Waiting to see how it works first.

2 Likes

This would also be a big benefit for us in theory – caregivers who are not allowed to have cell phones could still be given vibrational alerts via a watch. The issue is the $$$. We can’t afford to get a watch like that just for Samson’s caregivers, especially if more than one is routinely monitoring.

2 Likes

It appears the Watch OS has today for a release date.
I really know nothing about Apple products. Well except that they are overpriced. lol
This is going to entirely depend on my T1 wanting to try the upgrade on Day 1. Maybe this evening.

I am not really expecting it to work. But if I get a specific failure then I can call Dex Tech and ask them what the fix is.

2 Likes

We will give it a shot after cross country tonight. My son loves having his BG on his wrist. Not having to carry the phone, will make CC even better.

2 Likes

@Chris - Awesome. In which case I will wait. lol.
If you don’t mind going first.
:smile:

I just checked the most current version of the Dexcom G5 Mobile app for the Apple. We have been running version 1.7.2 for some time. I was surprised to see version 1.7.3 available which was updated yesterday, Sept. 18, 2017.
"What’s New in Version 1.7.3

• OS compatibility updates
  • Performance enhancements and bug fixes"
    “OS compatibility updates” … with no details. However releasing this the day before the Watch OS4 release does not sound like random coincidence."

My big two questions on this were:

• Does it work. (without requiring a new app from Dexcom - although perhaps the new app v1.7.3 is already released yesterday for this purpose?)
  • If it works, then when transmitting direct from G5 transmitter to the Apple Watch (w/ OS 4), is the iPhone allowed as a second simultaneous smart device.

Dexcom only lists the follow Apple Watch OS as compatible:
watchOS 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.3, 3.2, 3.2.2, 3.2.3
(But maybe this page is simply out of date with the new app v1.7.3 and will shortly be updated?)

From Android, we hear that version checking is strongly checked as opposed to a mere suggestion.

It is possible that after upgrading the Apple Watch to OS4 that you may not be able to get ANY dexcom functionality to work on the watch. If so, it should be possible to rollback the Watch OS update if you find it does not work and would rather stick with the current OS3 while you wait for Dexcom to release a new version of the Dex App. In my experience you take your chances trying to rollback an OS although my experiences with OS rollback is on “other” than Apple - hopefully Apple does better in that regard.

Dexcom’s take on this general issue:
“Dexcom tests all apps on new OS versions, including public betas, after the OS is released. It may take several days or more to complete testing and update the app to be fully compatible with a new OS version. Dexcom recommends checking our compatibility chart before installing a new OS version on your smart device, and not installing the new version until we approve it.”

BTW - From a random internet source which I am sure is 100% reliable (hah):
"… they said in the Keynote that watchOS 4 is for all Watch models …"

2 Likes

We will give it a go and will report on the results. As you mention it could be a major cluster*^&#.

Hopefully, it all just works. fingers crossed.

1 Like

I am MUCH more optimistic since seeing the updated v1.7.3 Dex Mobile App.

Good Luck !!!

1 Like

I’ve been using my Dex with my AW since the day it came out. It’s the reason I bought the AW even with using iPhone as the pass through.

Needless to say, I am very excited that my sensor will be able to transmit directly to my watch without the need for the iPhone. Here is Kevin Lynch’s (VP Technology at Apple) direct response to me when I reached out to him :

“Thank you! Yes the support for Core Bluetooth in watchOS 4 will enable direct communication between the Dexcom sensor and your Watch, without requiring your iPhone to be nearby. We are very excited to be enabling this!”

So the million dollar question is whether Dex will need to push a software update to enable this.

I’m downloading watchOS4 now and will report back.

2 Likes

You’re my go-to guy for Apple Watch questions. Am I correct that it needs to be a series 2 AW to support the direct connection? How about 38 vs 42 mm size? Is the 38 basically for women?

1 Like

Yes, get series 2 and 42mm.

2 Likes

Owing to the need to charge these watches (representing an hour every 18 or so), I toggle between 2 watches (one was a gift), so that I don’t need to go without a watch. In this scenario, I’m thinking this update would need to be limited to one exclusive watch. That is, it would not be possible to sync 2 watches (and potentially a phone) with the transmitter. Is that right?

2 Likes

I’m guessing it would be for G5, not follow. So unless the watch was in Bluetooth range all the time, caregivers probably wont benefit as much as independent PWDs. Who knows.

1 Like

if he carries his phone on him and that acts as a data uploader, then theoretically someone else with a watch could then get the data from the dexcom share app on their phone, though, right?

2 Likes

Tia, It seems as if for every device that you add for the CGM to connect to, you will be increasing the battery drain. But I see no reason why it couldn’t connect to a watch and a phone. We currently have it connected to the receiver and phone and his pump.

1 Like

@Chris - It definitely appears that the transmitter sees receiver type of devices differently than smart devices.

Unless somebody has already connected two simultaneous smart devices than I would consider this an open question. Assuming we get the direct watch then we certainly be attempting to also get the phone. Without the phone AND the watch then likely we would not be able to use this feature. I think that we primarily need the iPhone. As an extra added bonus, we would also like to have direct watch. But it can’t be at the expense of the phone.

Even if the G5 will allow more than one smart device, that is no guarantee that the G6 will do the same. In fact, the G5x manual that I read (which by all appearances will be the G6) specifically states that only one smart device at time is allowed and further that the smart device can not be swapped out during a session (ie - sensor start/stop). With the G5x being pulled and resubmitted as G6 it is possible there will be changes for the actual G6. But the manual as written was not encouraging in that respect.

1 Like

That is really too bad.

It gets worse.

The G5x transmitter can not be removed from the sensor without physically breaking the sensor.

However the Dexcom CEO has given every indication that there will be no G6 restriction on restarting a sensor.

1 Like