Dexcom on watch

Looking for a smart watch to display g6 dexcom data.

I’m an iPhone guy, and it seems Apple Watch is the obvious choice, but my work probably doesn’t make it realistic to be able to charge every single day, so looking for other options that work well and don’t need to be charged more than weekly or so

Searching the Internet has immediately turned me off with what seem to be complex instructions for how to set up dexcom on anything other than Apple Watch so looking for real world input. I’m generally pretty tech averse but have adopted iPhone/ iPad use out of necessity

Don’t want to spend a ton of money. Thanks for any advice

2 Likes

I’ve heard good things (on this website) about the GTS at https://bluejay.website/
Not sure the charging frequency on it but imagine it’s pretty minimal.

Personally, I tried to set up dexcom and pump controls on apple devices and ended up going the android route with xdrip+ and the LG Sport Watch. I separate my phonecall phone from t1d phone to optimize battery usage and have a backup watch in case the battery runs low.

3 Likes

Does anyone use a Garmin or fossil watch with an iPhone to connect to dexcom?

Another distinction possibly worth mentioning is that I am very often outside of cellular data and it seems some of the platforms require data to function as they are actually uploading data to the cloud then pulling it back off and sending it to the watch through an app on phone—— all way too complicated and not going to work in remote alaska

4 Likes

FWIW, I only charge my watch every 2 days and charging usually takes less than an hour.

4 Likes

Same here for my Apple Watch except for recharge after exercising.

Garmin only needs weekly charge. I know it can display BGs from xDrip+ on Android or Spike on iOS. Here is an overview on setting it up. If you use xDrip+/Spike then you don’t need an Internet connection. If you use Nightscout, then you do need an Internet connection.

After googling Garmin Dexcom G6 I found this link to a Dex app for the Garmin. It does say you need Internet connectivity though, which may not work for you in remote Alaska :-(. I think it uses Dexcom Share which of course is in the cloud, as you mentioned.

3 Likes

Which Apple Watch models are you having to only charge every two days? I was reading reviews on the three and it seems like a lot of people were complaining that it didn’t even make it through one day… of course will depend on usage. Does the Apple Watch not require the phone have Internet access?

2 Likes

I have a series 3 and use it mostly for Dex and Loop. When I set it on the charger each night it usually has 75% of the battery left. Once in a great while it’s down to 25 %, but I tend to charge it each night if I can.

A tip,Ive picked up a number of inexpensive watch face covers (the beveled kind that wrap over the edge). It’s saved my watch from total disaster a few times!

3 Likes

And it works even if your phone has no internet connectivity to upload to the cloud? Eg if you turned your wifi and cellular data on phone off but kept it near the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch would still get readings ?

I had to think about that one for a minute…but, yes it does. When I fly my and phone is on Airplane mode (no cell or Wi-Fi connection), the watch shows BG readings!!

4 Likes

Great thanks

2 Likes

How do you use it with loop?

I can bolus from the watch, view my loop data, set a basal over ride or change, cancel an alert/ alarm. Lots of stuff. Its very helpful especially if I’ve set my phone down (but am not too far away from it).

2 Likes

Very cool. That’s through an Omnipod loop setup? Where’s the brain unit for the omnipod? A Riley link?

Just curious… I’m
Way to tech averse to ever go that route unless it comes that way in the box!

1 Like

Yep, I loop with Omnipod & a Riley link (along with Dexcom). It’s been great sonfar (been Looping foe 2 years) and my A1C has been in the 5.5 range the last year (and it’s been a stressful year too). TIR has been easier doe me to maintain while I work, which is one of the big upsides for me

4 Likes

I’m hoping the omnipod horizon will
Actually come out some day

1 Like

I just read a summary of their 2Q report and it said release slipped to late this year at best (maybe into 2022 already).

4 Likes

I use the Apple Watch 3 and it will go 2 days between charges. Unlike my iPhone se which barely makes it 24 hours (or less if used a lot). Maybe one of the portable batteries that hold multiple phone recharges would work well for you?

If I am in a situation where I don’t want to carry my iPhone or might not be able to keep my phone charged, I bring the Dexcom receiver, fully charged. It’s battery lasts about 3 days.

1 Like

That’s fine I’m in no hurry

[quote=“Sam, post:3, topic:11685”]
Does anyone use a Garmin or fossil watch with an iPhone to connect to dexcom?
[/quote]
That was my intention when I got the G6. There is a app called Spike which will connect to Dexcom and Gamin (other watches as well). But Apple decertified Spike removing it from the Apple store. This means that the people who designed Spike had to come up with another way.

Both my son and I threw up our hands at the labyrinth one has to go through to get it to work. That’s when I bought an Apple Watch G6. If I were a cynic I would assume that was Apple’s intention in dropping Spike.

I was interested in getting Dexcom data on my watch, but more than that I want it to display on my Garmin cycling computer. When riding I have to lift my left hand up to see my BG and trends.

It is a very inelegant way to do it.

As to charging, I charge the watch every morning as soon as I get out of bed. That is annoying as my Garmin Fenix 3 HR only needed charging about once a week.

I bought an iPhone 6 SE to replace my iPhone 5S. I need to look around for an android phone that is a similar size. I really don’t like phones that are mini-tablet sized, or as my wife sez, holding a piece of toast to their head.

3 Likes

Yeah I was actually just reading up on spike when your notification popped up. Looks like a confusing mess… I don’t have the brain power in reserve to learn to be a hacker in order to see my blood sugar on a watch

So overall the Apple Watch has worked out well? I have a bizarre job here sometimes I “work” for an absurd number of hours strait, have issues with charging things for longer periods of time sometimes… I guess I could take usb batteries with me, actually do anyway it’s just becoming overwhelming how many gadgets I have to carry with me

2 Likes