Cereal killer

I’m only saying this because I never knew until my eldest daughter was in renal failure, but, do you know that milk (cow’s milk, specifically) is horrible for kidneys? The nephrologist and urologist had signs everywhere warning that no one should ever drink more than 8oz a day, and in stage 2 or higher, should drink it only very rarely. I grew up in the 80s/90s and was always told milk was the best thing ever. It was a huge shock to me. My daughter was devastated for awhile, as she drank a gallon or more a day, but after about a month or so, she no longer had extreme constipation (this had been medically treated for years). When I mentioned this to her GI at the colorectal center, she was apologetic. The dietary conversations hadn’t been inclusive of fluids to avoid, other than caffeine in large amounts. They were immensely informative of the need for constant amounts of fluid intake in order to always avoid dehydration at any level. They did change that information in the patient information after, though.

2 Likes

Is there any science to back this up? I can’t find any.

A gallon a day, could that be the real problem? Drinking a gallon of anything other than water a day is a bad idea in general. Many people don’t even drink a gallon a day at all.

5 Likes

My kids all drink two glasses per day sometimes more sometimes less… But never a gallon. Lol. I think that was your daughters issue. I grew up on cows milk as did my 8 siblings and we turned out just fine. I would love to read the science behind your (your doctor’s) claim. Respectfully, this sounds more like conspiracy theory to me.

4 Likes

These things always need context.

Milk is high in phosphorus. When kidneys are working correctly, they have no problem removing the extra phosphorus from your blood and allowing you to expel it.

But when a person has kidney disease, their ability to remove the phosphorus is hindered. When you have extra phosphorus in your blood it is damaging. It can increase the risk for heart attack and it can weaken your bones because high phosphorus levels cause the calcium to be removed from your bones.

So basically the simple way of saying it is that if your kidneys and diet are good, drink plenty of milk. BUT, if you have kidney problems, do not drink too much of it.

As I said, these statements need context. Since your daughter was already in renal failure, yes they would say to not drink milk. And in a medical office where kidney failure is one of the primary issues they deal with, having signs stating that you should not drink milk is not surprising.

But for most everyone else, having plenty of milk is fine.

Context is everything.

But anyway, sorry to hear that about your daughter. I hope she is okay.

8 Likes

Just a fast reference

It’s the type of protein, phosphorus and more in all dairy, not just milk.

I apologize for not including more detailed information. I was just scrolling and my brain is like a squirrel, so it seen a lot of milk and thought what I had associated with it before my daughter had her kidney removed… lots of milk = bad for kidney

I will try to do better with that.

Sincerely sorry

4 Likes

I will look through medical files sometime soon and pull out what I have on it. It’s more of what all dairy contains than milk itself, honestly. The types of proteins and such.

She had just gotten to be a teenager and decided she really liked it… and I’m not a fan unless it’s straight from the cow😂.

You are very correct in that!

If you want to see if they have it online though, it’s Cincinnati Children’s Hospital

1 Like

Yes! Exactly this! I realized what I did as soon as I saw the replies!

I’m honestly in the middle of writing out a post that is the entire reason for me joining here.

I am a tad bit mentally preoccupied and already easily distracted.

I’ll do my best to pay more attention from now on.

Yes, she is much better now. Thank you!

4 Likes

It’s the context that @Eric outlined that you need to consider instead of the blanket statement of “milk is bad”. It’s bad if you have kidney issues - which your daughter did/does; otherwise, it’s not bad at all (in fact, it’s good for bone growth and a whole slew of other things that I learned as a kid but have since forgotten.)

Welcome and I appreciate your contributions! We just have to remember that things have context and without context things are often times misleading or alltogether incorrect.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I would be more concerned re: milk and inflammation. Almost anyone I know who has chronic health issues that require trying to minimize inflammation finds reducing dairy, especially cow dairy, helps. While that seems less important for someone in good health, we are only just starting to learn the role of inflammation across disease risk broadly, including mental health, longterm cardiac health, etc. So personally, I consider dairy a not super healthy food that I still eat sometimes because it’s delicious (for me, in cheese, yogurt, and ice cream forms) and can serve a useful function in my diet (well, the cheese and yogurt anyway), but something I also try to keep in check and will typically substitute with dairy alternatives or goat dairy when available.

3 Likes

No wonder you got the sugar diabetes

2 Likes

Definitely the Cap’n worked for me. Was also a fan of Fruit Loops with it’s charming mascot Toucan Sam.

3 Likes

or as the late Wlfred Brimley would say… Sugar Diabeetus

1 Like

I got something great in the mail this week. I knew all that cereal eating would pay off!

They were totally free. All I needed to do was provide proof-of-purchase, and they sent them to me.

Here they are - my Captains!

And just so you know, it is okay for me to get these because it said on the package, that these are not toys and are not for kids!

7 Likes

Wow, so awesome! !! Brings back good memories!

2 Likes

Oh Captain, My Captain…

4 Likes