Apple or Android watch alone with Dexcom G6?

Can that be android phone, with Bluetooth, but no phone service. I have this setup with fitbit ionic watch (and cheap android phone, no active service phone, reading dexcom G6 transmitter with xDrip). I can share only when in wifi range, but get display on watch full time.

The only reason an Android phone with cell service is required is for remote communication of readings. If you donā€™t want to share you donā€™t even need a phone, just sync with the tablet once or twice a day.

I know that there are some other watches, like the Fitbit that may work, but they seem to be hit or miss.

@docslotnick
I use the original G6 Receiver with the G6 sensor. Then I can download the data on my computer, look at the data and use clarity to share with the diabetes clinic. I donā€™t use any other software and I donā€™t use a phone.
What am I missing out on? (I donā€™t pump, MDI)

Hi @Jan What you are missing is the ability to control your bG on an immediate basis, predictions the app gives you so you can take proactive measures, and I think a much easier to read graph. The retrospective features of Clarity and xDrip+ are much the same.

If you donā€™t need the predictive ability of xDrip+, then itā€™s pretty much a wash. I personally use xDrip+ for predictions, my watch with xDrip+ on it, and the Dexcom receiver. I donā€™t upload to Clarity, but I share with my wife and also upload to tidepool.

2 Likes

Hi @docslotnick,
Iā€™ve just started using Xdrip+ on my android phone, but I push my data to Dexcom. If you donā€™t upload your data to Clarity, then how do you share your data with your endo? With Clarity, I provided a code to the clinic, and they pull my data before my appointments. Just curious how you handle that. Thanks for all that you do.

1 Like

Hi @RT63 Welcome to FUD!

Just about the only thing xDrip+ doesnā€™t do is upload to Clarity. But there are alternatives.

Tidepool is quite similar to Clarity, and most endos will use it. Then there is Nightscout, which is far more complete than Clarity, and once the endo sees it they will probably use it. Both can have multiple viewers, and xDrip+ automatically uploads to both.

Then there is xDrip+'s own statistics, which is what my endo uses. I just print the screens (6 of them) for my appointments and he is happy. Of course a 5.6 A1c and a good knowledge of diabetes makes him more accepting :blush:.

I actually donā€™t really want my endo to be looking over my shoulder. The data I provide for him on a semiannual basis gives him an accurate view, and he seems quite satisfied.

1 Like

Hello, @docslotnick and others:
T1 for 33 years. Just got new Tandem T Slim x2 pump and Dexcom G6. Alerts on my android galaxy s7 using Dexcom app are ungodly loud! Really disruptive to coworkers. Bought a Sony Smartwatch 3 to use as a receiver instead. Installed XDrip on phone, and it appears to be connected to the watch. Please confirm: I need to uninstall the Dexcom app from my phone in order for the watch to be the second device and show the Dexcom blood sugar readings (pump is the first device) on the watch? Or, can I just turn the Dexcom app off, and ā€œtoggleā€ between the phone and the watch?

Not able to get glucose readings on watch. Need help with setup process to upload readings to cloud, and to get watch and phone to sync when located near each other.
Have these errors showing in Xdrip+ log:

The G6 pump will connect to one receiver and one phone.
So the X2 pump is your receiver.
The phone can only have one program trying to access the G6.
I would force stop the Dexcom app, and see if xdrip starts collecting some data.
I uninstall the dexcom app anyways, it is weak compared to xdrip.

Hi @docslotnick Iā€™m trying to set up the Ssw3. Using a Samsung tablet as the andriod. Is Glimp the same as xdrip? I canā€™t seem to find an app called xdrip on this Samsung tab a

Hi everyone, i have read all the comments on this topic and felt a little frustated. Is there any watch with LTE that can be use alone and transmit the BG with share? My 7 yo son can hardly manage to have (and take care) a cell phone all the time and giving him also the responsability of a smartwach is too muchā€¦thanks a lot in advance !

@patob The only way you can do that is to run xDrip+ on a watch with the Android OS, not Wear. An example is the Finow Pro. But these m are generally pretty big.

Most LTE watches run Android Wear, or Apple Watch iOS.

@Kels_eh Sorry for the late response.

You donā€™t need Glimp. Just download xDrip+ onto the Tab A. You can find it at
https://jamorham.github.io/#xdrip-plus

Make sure you allow the Tab to download from unknown sources. And also pair the watch with the Tab with Wear.

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt answer! So, just to be sure, if i buy a watch Finow Pro and run xDrip+ on it, my son will only need this and not a cell phone to recieve the information in the watch and we, parents, will recieve his BG on the follow app? IĀ“m sorry but iĀ“m not a very tech guy and i live outside the US. Thanks again!!

Yes, you will not need a separate phone. The watch is essentially an Android phone because itā€™s running Android OS.

I have read of many people having success with the Finow Pro, but havenā€™t used it myself. There may need to be some specific settings or tweaking.

Thanks a lot again. I will buy this model ā€œSmartwatch Zmdhly Finow Q1 Pro Mtk6737 Quad-core Yroid 6.0ā€ and then try to make it work. Either if i can or donĀ“t, i will write here for everyone to konw abut it. Best regards!!

Sorry for the very late response. I also use the Sony Smartwatch 3, SW3, for my stand-alone collector of data from the Dexcom G5 CGM with the xDrip application. One very big advantage of this configuration is that the SW3 transmits the CGM data to the Smartphone. This is a very big advantage since the SW3 connects with the Smartphone over a much greater distance than the Dexcom G5 and a smartphone, up to 50 feet. In other words the phone can then relay the information over another media. I use this configuration in a controlled environment when a phone canā€™t be used.

1 Like

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

Been reading this with interest. I use Dexcom G6 and Insulet Omnipod Dash. I run the Dexcom app on my Samsung S8. Iā€™m interested in having either xdrip(+) or the android app running on a watch without having to carry my phone. I would not use the share/follow feature in this scenario, just want to see my #s when away from my phone. I would think the full android app could run on something like the finow watch, but not sure if I can do that and have it on my phone as well. Wondering how difficult it would be to set up xdrip or + on a watch like that.

Thanks for continuing this discussion, I do appreciate it.

@Shaunesy Yes, you can use a watch in connection with a phone, where the watch will work as the collector (receiver) when the phone is out of range of the transmitter, and then when the phone is in range of the transmitter it will switch back to using the phone as collector. This is done with settings in xDrip+, and no, you canā€™t have the Dexcom app and xDrip+ on the same phone.

The Finow Pro is just like Android phone. You can set up the watch as master, and have your phone be a follower. Not a Dexcom follower, but an xDrip+ sync group follower. You would have the same app and data on the phone as on the watch, only the watch would be the collector.

2 Likes

Thanks Doc!

Pretty close to what Iā€™m looking for. Wondering if I can set up xdrip+ on the watch and leave Dexcom app running on the phone, entirely independent. The 2 apps wonā€™t talk to each other and fill in gaps in the data from one to the other without special settings in xdrip+, but I thought even that was attainable.

I get that both will not run on the same device. Kind of surprised that xdrip hasnā€™t figured out how to piggyback and collect the data at the same time. I actually prefer xdripā€™s interface and features, just havenā€™t been using it since the upgrade to G6. If I remember correctly, xdrip can also upload to Tidepoolā€¦

Looking at the availablility of Horizon from Omnipod and imagining that xdrip wonā€™t have that hacked right away (of course, they may have it figured out before Insulet at this point)

1 Like