Apple or Android watch alone with Dexcom G6?

@Shaunesy I don’t think xDrip+ on the Finow Pro and the Dexcom app on the phone will work. The watch will take the phone slot on the transmitter, nor leaving that slot for Dexcom ( or vice versa). That is actually a Dexcom limitation. Probably neither device would work.

I use a Dexcom receiver as a backup, so that will work just fine.

Thanks everyone for the informative thread. @docslotnick didn’t realize the dexcom transmitter is limited to # of devices it connects to. My hope has been to find a way to run: 1) Current workflow: G5 receiver + iPhone w/ dexcom app, 2) New option for when I run/hike etc: watch as standalone receiver (no worries about sharing, etc.). Is this possible? I recognize I would need an Android Wear watch and an Android device to set it up with. Are there other caveats I’m missing?

1 Like

@mlevine I am well aware of the dexcom transmitter connection limitations.

The Finow Pro runs Android 6.0, so it essentially is a phone, not a watch. You cannot run an iPhone with the dexcom app in conjunction with the Finow Pro watch, but you can run a dexcom receiver. You can also run the xdrip+ app as a member of a sync group on a separate phone. But you can’t switch the Finow Pro and the phone as collector when the Finow is out of range.

As far as your workflow is concerned, you certainly can use an Android Wear watch as a stand alone collector, but you will need an Android phone for maintenance like starting a sensor and holding the events log. This can only be accomplished with xdrip+. This link gives you an idea of suitable watches:

2 Likes

Ha, clearly well aware, which is why I tagged you–I meant to write “I didn’t realize…” Thanks for the info–I’ll read up a bit more.

2 Likes

@mlevine. If you need any help setting it up, or have questions, let me know. I think you’ll find the xdrip+ app far more complete than the Dexcom app.

3 Likes

New here, great thread!!

I use an iPhone and a Dexcom receiver at the moment but I wish to get a watch that I can swim with that will connect directly with my G6 transmitter. I’m not interested in downloading or syncing data via my phone instead I’ll plug my Dexcom receiver into my PC if I wish to do that.

Reading here it looks like the only supported watch for swimming is the Polar M600, it looks like I’ll need a cheap Android phone just to set up the watch - can anyone suggest the cheapest phone that will do the job?

Once the watch is set up and receiving data directly from the Dexcom transmitter, I don’t regularly want to use the Android phone again with regards to BG monitoring. Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

2 Likes

I’ve looked into this further and it sounds like installing the required patch on the Polar M600 could be quite a dangerous and potentially destructive process, especially given the instructions and patch detailed through the link @docslotnick kindly provided above, appear to be based on a specific build dated December 2017!

Therefore, unless someone can convince me otherwise,
I’m thinking I’m more likely to go down the guaranteed Sony Smart Watch 3 route and take a risk with swimming with an IP67 device.

Has anyone here used their SSW3 whilst swimming and have any feedback good or bad?

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome, @RG12! Glad you found this forum. I don’t have an answer for your question, unfortunately, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. :sunflower:

3 Likes

I used to use the SSW3 as the Dexcom collector with xDrip+ prior to switching to Loop (on iOS) about a year ago. I used it during runs in rain and snow, and it worked without a problem. I’ve not used it for swimming though. I’ve heard that the BT signal does not carry well under water.

2 Likes

Thanks @Trying, I’m aware it is unlikely to work whilst actually in the water, however I am going on a yachting holiday and expect to be in and out of the water a lot with occasional swims to shore so would be great if I didn’t have to take a phone or Dexcom receiver in a dry bag all the time…

Loop sounds interesting are you running that on an apple watch without a phone?
Is Loop easy to configure and where can I find out more information?

2 Likes

Ah, so, yes, I think the SSW3 will work for you then. I really, really miss using it. But Loop requires iOS and no, it doesn’t run on the Apple Watch as standalone, though there is an app for the watch that allows users to see BGs and even bolus, but it still must be within range of the phone. Loop also requires a small device to convert BT and RF communication. So I carry all three with me all the time! Not a big deal considering the better and ease of control I get.

Setup and configuration of Loop may be somewhat intimidating to most but the documentation is excellent and the support group is also available online to help on FB or zulipchat.

Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful! Have fun and hope you have fantastic BGs, too!

2 Likes

@RG12

Loop documentation
https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/

2 Likes

Agreed, the key if you do decide to begin looping is to READ the documentation once through before you ever start. Maybe twice…then and only then, begin the install/configuration and follow each step closely. If you follow the steps, there is zero that can go wrong. :slight_smile: Most people encounter problems because they just skipped a step or didn’t follow the instructions. The how-to guides are unmatched. Katie and others (I’ve helped some with the documentation) have done an amazing job in the wiki / documentation for anything you need to know. And as @Trying indicated, if you have a problem, searching the Looped group most times yields you the answer. If not, the community is very helpful in answering questions.

3 Likes

Hello all, trying to come up to speed here. It’s Feb. 2021, and I’m curious if there are any new watch options that can read/relay CGM data, without the need for a phone. Any watch options that may work with their own cell phone plan? Thank you!! -Tess

1 Like

I too am interested if there are any better/easier standalone smart watch options that can read and share dexcom G6 data. This would improve our lives so much. It’s so hard forcing a 9 year old to keep track of a smartphone all day :frowning:

1 Like

If you are using an android phone and xdrip+, then the Bluejay watch is another option.
This is a VERY BASIC watch, it tells the time. That is about it.
But, it is meant to load xdrip directly onto the watch and hooks up very well with the Dexcom G5/G6 transmitters.
It is even less user friendly for changes, coding, etc. The only ‘support’ is on a simple chat board type thing, or emailing directly to him (very nice guy, very helpful! Just busy. )

2 Likes

Welcome @Tessy and @XChamp, great question. Unfortunately, the more things progress the more the stay the same with the smart watch options as a standalone (without a phone) device. It seems that Apple is unhappy with the battery drain, and so you are left with newer option of the BlueJay, or one of older Sony watches that you can find when searching this topic.

1 Like

I’ve read about the older Sony, I"ll have to check out the BlueJay, Thanks Chris… T

Very cool Hammer, thank you! So…can my son use the BlueJay to get his readings, independent of any receiver or phone? All he really needs is a blood sugar reading.

1 Like

The watch itself actually does fairly well for reading and showing the BG numbers and basic 3 hour graph.
It still relies on the phone’s version of xdrip to actually DO anything. Things like change the transmitter ID, sensor codes, etc.
It can even act to backfill for xdrip on a phone if need be (takes more battery life, but it does work.)
My issues were mainly because the dexcom transmitters only have two slots. One is for pump, the second is receiver/phone.
The Bluejay watch likes to use the pump slot (and works VERY WELL using this slot btw.)
But I have my Tandem X2 pump using that slot.
So I can only have one item using the second slot, and either the phone or watch do ok on their own, but together, they don’t work as well for me.
To be fair, I haven’t checked for an updated firmware on the watch. With the time since I have used it, I think it is time I get back into testing this watch again.

1 Like