Anyone lined up for the dexcom G7?

@Trying What is it that you find difficult about inserting the G7. I’ve read this elsewhere as well, so it certainly isn’t just yourself. Yet, I’ve watched for and had no problem with doing it. Of course I’m right handed and used it to apply to my left shoulder area, perhaps it’s using the weak hand? I agree the overpatch can be a bit of trouble, and my weak hand would find it difficult!

2 Likes

My issue with this G7 inserter over the G6 is the requirement to press hard to get it to release. With the G6 I found sticking the adhesive pad to my skin, pressing all around with the applicator, then pulling away to tent the skin. This completely eliminated pain from the sensor lead irritating muscle.

My 2nd G7 was quite painful if pressed for several days. The plus is it eliminates compression lows :star_struck:

5 Likes

I apply it to my upper back arm and try as I might, I’m unable to push the button to trigger its injection. I have to have someone help me. Same for the overpatch. I’m hoping I will be able to do it on my own. Maybe I will have to find a new location for it, something more reachable.

4 Likes

Err everything but that’s me. Bad hands, frozen shoulders. I can’t do it at all. Thankfully I have the greatest helper in my wife that puts in on for me. Have to admit when she had to leave town I did have to put one on my thigh it didn’t last the 10 days but my bad according to Dexcom it’s only suppose to go on the back of your arm. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I can appreciate the frozen shoulder issue, my wife has had both done (two years apart) and my right is getting there only trying to raise in back, not in front. Ref the location, I haven’t tried G7 on anything but upper arm as yet. One recommendation: Shave the little hairs off any place you intend to use (stomach, thigh, arm); I’ve found it helps with “stickiness” and removal (of course it could be in my head).

3 Likes

@CarlosLuis I’ve found similar that the one’s (both G6 and 7) with a bit of pain after insertion are the ones where its more muscle tissue underneath and less fatty tissue. Doesn’t help that my BMI is pretty low (that’s my wife’s judgement, but I have to concur).

2 Likes

That’s why I came up with the method of tenting the skin before triggering the inserter. Sadly that is not possible with G7, and worse it requires pressing firmly before the trigger will work.

2 Likes

@TomH Sorry to hear that about your wife & your shoulders. Not sure what your wife had done but they wanted to put me on a machine that would break my shoulders lose. Possible nerve damage I decided that it was ok not to be able to lift my arms strait up. So if I am going to be robbed just go ahead & shoot me :grin:

Ref the location: I thought the Thigh would be ok with the muscle being simular to the triceps. As I remember the only reason it didn’t last the full 10 day was because it came loose. Think your suggestion of shaving that area is a good one. Seems to me that Dexcom really should set an approved alternate location for folks like us.

Edit: I just wanted to say I would not hesitate to put one back on my Thigh if I needed to.

@CarlosLuis
I can only speak to the insertion pain. To me the G7 is much better going in. Wife helps me put it on so can’t speak to how much pressure it takes, only the one time on my Thigh was not too bad. :smiley:

1 Like

The wife’s surgery consisted of three small incisions for each side, with tubes inserted for passing instruments; they basically roto-routered the tissue that had grown and impinged the joints. Afterwards, she had several rehab sessions with a short little PT named Annie that introduced herself and stated, “I’m not your friend, if we don’t have a couple sessions where you leave nearly in or in tears, I haven’t done my job. In the end you’ll have a better result.” She was right, my wife came home in pain a few times, but has full range of motion now.

I had good luck with the G6 on my thighs, but found they took longer to show absorption. I’d have no problem re-inserting them into the rotation I’ve established. I understand the G7 has a bit shorter depth of insertion than the G6 and wondered if the wire would “work its way out” or get pulled easier…yet to be determined…

2 Likes

Understatement :roll_eyes:

Glad it all worked out.

Not sure about the G7 having a shorter depth but for sure it has a shorter profile. I have knocked a few G6’s off my arm rubbing against a door jamb but the G7 seems to slide off when I have done that… lol maybe I should just stay away from jambs :grin:

2 Likes

I had to find alternative sites while dealing with adhesive allergy. Dexcom US does say to only use G7 on the arm… but Dexcom Canada says the abdomen is okay too! https://www.dexcom.com/en-CA/faqs/g7/where-can-i-insert-my-dexcom-g7-sensor

5 Likes

That’s pretty ridiculous, isn’t it?!?

There is nothing uniquely special about the interstitial fluid in the arms of Americans vs the belly of Canadians.

Dexcom Eric says you can wear it wherever you want, but when you call their support line, just say it was on your arm. :wink:

7 Likes

@RachelMaraii Thank you for the information. I can put it on my abdomen if need be & probably better there then the thigh.

@Eric Thanks for the laugh :rofl:

5 Likes

It sounds frustrating to struggle with the injection process on your own. Maybe experimenting with a different location, like your thigh or abdomen, could help make it easier to reach. You might also find that practicing in a new spot could build confidence over time. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

5 Likes

I put it on my upper arm towards the back. I have no trouble putting it on, but forget trying to put on the overpatch!!! :crazy_face: I definately need my husband to do it. ANd its soooo sticky that if you dont get it on right away it just turns into one little sticky ball of a mess.

5 Likes

I’ve had better results with the overpatch using my iPad in selfie mode. Still it’s tough with the sensor on the back of the arm.

I tried the big mirror in the bathroom, but the iPad is better, not perfect but better.

2 Likes

@daisymae I too think the adhesive on the G7 is super sticky. Thanks to a report (one of you here, sorry can’t recall which) talked about not using the overpatch: Thank-you. I went with the o patch at first, but unless I’m using a spa, in the ocean/pool, I don’t think I really need it. In fact, the last one had a hard time coming off with just the little ring that comes with the sensor/transmitter.

@CarlosLuis I’ve been using more the side of arm for placement because the back just isn’t doable. Anyway, I never thought of using my phone/ipad…brilliant!

4 Likes

I think why it might work better than mirrors as all the mirrors in my house requires standing up. With the tablet I can sit.

2 Likes

I wear the overlay patch bc i swim, and one time while i was in the pool, my dex came off. since then I’ve had no problems. But, as i already mentioned, my loving husband puts the overpatch on for me, so, no worries.

and as far as TRYING mentioned, she found it difficult to “pull the trigger” to get the G7 to work. I was also hesitant at first to push the G7 harder into the skin on my upper arm. But, since a little extra pressure, all is smooth going so far.

My biggest problem has been sensors that go wonky on me. And i cannot get them to calibrate and stay calibrated. Try as i might, i take the darn sensor off and call their Tech Support line. They replace the sensor with little argument (yes, sometimes i need to have the interaction with the dex supervisor.) (they can be a little snarky sometimes.) When i begin to say, " hey there, I payed a lot of money for this sensor and it should be guarantied 100% so i expect you to replace it immediately, no questions asked" well, then they shut up and just give in. But i dont appreciate their attitude.

3 Likes

I’ve been occasionally getting replacement G6 sensors from Dexcom over the years. Probably average about 3 or 4 a year. I always use the online form mainly because it’s quick and easy.
The snarky attitude has started to creep into their emails that are sent after an online form is submitted.

For one I submitted last month, the email read in part: " You will receive a confirmation email with tracking information once the replacement is shipped. For any future replacement requests, we will require the transmitter/wearable serial number. Please keep in mind that if you do not have this information, your replacement will be considered a goodwill replacement and will count toward your replacement limit within a 12-month period. For details on Dexcom’s sensor replacement policy, visit Sensor Replacement Policy."

I think this new policy is chickens**t on their part and guess that it probably influences the attitude of the tech support people on the phone. They already have the serial number on Clarity, but if you fail to provide it they might not send the replacement sensor? Not good IMHO. Plus the fact that I provided it on the form but they decided to send this pre-emptive warning anyway.

I had one sensor that fell off my arm in our summer heat wave and went ahead and submitted for a replacement. For that one, the email said in part: " In this instance, based on the available information, there is no indication that this issue is caused by a product failure. However, as courtesy, we will provide a goodwill replacement. Please be aware that goodwill replacements are subject to quantity limitations. For further details on the sensor replacement policy, visit Sensor Replacement Policy."

To make a long story short, their new policy seems to be a limit of three “Goodwill” sensor replacements per 12 months and they get to decide what is a defective product vs. what is “goodwill”. It will be interesting to see how that goes for them as their competitors catch up on the tech.

4 Likes