Anyone lined up for the dexcom G7?

OK, I’ve sung the praises of the G7 enough, and apparently my reward is my last three G7’s have died early. I need a karma change. I previously reported trying 2 G7’s from my Endo with no problem; I’ve gone thru most of my first 90-day supply of G7’s with no problem, a few “Brief Sensor Issue” alerts that resolved quickly (I really hate the fact Dexcom thinks 3-hours is a reasonable time to wait for it).

But the last three G7s in a row failed early, day 8-9, all the same way: I get 2-3 “Brief Sensor Issue” alerts, get a few readings in between that are all over the map, then I go to check my BG before going out or in prep for meal/snack bolus only to see the “Start Sensor” screen and discovering its been that way for an hour or so, no alert, no sound whatsoever. While I’m grateful Dexcom has replaced all three, I don’t understand a device not performing in this manner, nor an app that allows a failure with no notice other than a screen saying “Start Sensor.” Granted its only been 3x, but I’m wondering if the frustration is worth the convenience of a 30 minute startup and whether I should go back to the G6. The 12-hour grace period isn’t of use if you can’t get to it!

To add to today’s issue, the Dexcom online form wouldn’t take any input for “City” for my address, so I had to call in. It seems I’m into a stretch of bad karma. Anyone have a similar experience that has found a fix for the problem overall or the non-notification of a problem?

3 Likes

Sorry to hear you are going through this with the G7. My Dr never upgraded my prescription from G6 to G7 after my last appt so I’m still using G6. I guess I’m sort of glad since G7 seems to still have issues. When I tried 3 G7 sensors out earlier a few months ago, only one actually lasted. And the grace period was not really a “grace” period since it was mandatory to soak the new sensor for 12 hours just to get some reasonable readings on activation. HWR, I do look forward to a shorter warmup period!

2 Likes

I did same, since will be traveling soon, so rather have G6 as primary and no problem to also use G7 to see how close they are.

4 Likes

No, I just fill out the form and request replacement. I’m always sure to telll then I’ve been on Dexcom since Dexcom SEVEN and G7 is by far the worst in terms of just getting the sensor to work (no fatal errors).

G6 1000% better than G7.

3 Likes

Tom, i had a similar problem with the address…you have to use their address options and make sure you don’t use your phone’s autofill…try to erase the address and start over…i also have issues with the g7 adhesive and it’s probably due to the heat…i have used arm sleeves in the past, and have also recently had some g7 issues…one didn’t insert the cannula and i could still feel it, others only lasted 3 or 4 days

3 Likes

@Trying – do you have the same issue with wonky readings over the first 12-24 hours on G6 as well? I am planning on sticking with G6 until they phase it out, I think. (But change is difficult for me!)

3 Likes

Yes, I do. I have to “soak” the G6 sensor for 12 hours prior to starting it (ie., before the existing G6 expires). The initial readings on Day 1 (even Hour 1!) are MUCH more accurate when I do this. I’m not so confident that G7 will be as accurate as G6, even with the 12 hour soaking prior to insertion. I only tried it with one G7 sensor. Given that, plus the difficulty in inserting the G7, I think I will stay with the G6, too!!

Change is difficult for me, too!! I just received my new Apple Watch 9 this morning which I was forced to buy since my existing Apple Watch 4 suddenly stopped working! Going through the configuration of it now. It isn’t complicated but takes time! Initial restore watch backup failed, so I ended up doing a new watch config and re-installing all apps including Loop, Dex G6, complication setups, etc.!! The 9 looks exactly the same as the 4 though!

4 Likes

I went for years without a watch’ now I can’t stand it when it’s not on my wrist. Anyway this tune popped in my head.

5 Likes

Me, too! I only got the Apple Watch for Loop. It is great for Workouts to see BGs.

I love Chicago! :heart:

2 Likes

Do you use the workout function? I do for workouts with my personal trainer and am disappointed that BG doesn’t show on my Apple Watch 6.

When cycling I’m using Garmin so I get BG on Apple Watch and my Garmin bike computer.

If my watch poops out I may go back to Garmin. I loved my Fenix 3, but it didn’t support the Dexcom widget. I sure liked only charging once a week.

3 Likes

I dont have trouble with the first hours after the warm-up period. I was able to find a place on my upper left arm (I sleep on my rightside ) and its reliable. But i do have problems also about the timing of the G7 wearing out before the 10 days. Then, at times (but not enough) I have perfect correlation between finger sticks and accuracy for those 10 days, and i just want to die when that 10th day has come and i have to start all over again, leaving perfection behind :woozy_face: :crazy_face: :grimacing:

I unfortunately was never able to get the G6 to have ANY accuracy no matter which location i used. :weary:

4 Likes

btw, what i do love about the G7 is the ease in insertion and the tiny receiver. also, i love that the warm-up is only 25 minutes, How could you not like that!!!

3 Likes

I have only tried one G7 sensor so far which seemed fine for accuracy. I really like the direct to watch feature. It worked flawlessly with an Apple watch 9.

5 Likes

Thanks John58. Helpful to know.Is that model of watch waterproof?

2 Likes

Yes, the 9 watch claims to be waterproof. There is some fine print about that but they say it is waterproof enough for swimming. I don’t think the watch would receive the bluetooth from G7 sensor in water though…maybe the direct to watch would have problems while swimming.

3 Likes

I depend on my dexcom readings during my swimming the most What would b the need for a waterproof watch if i cant get the blouetooth reading??? Thanks for the info though.

2 Likes

@daisymae,
If your watch and sensor are on the same arm, and you are doing breaststroke, it should be able to get the reading.

But the other strokes might make it more difficult because your wrist gets submerged much deeper.

1 Like

Yes, I use the workout function for just short walks. Otherwise I use the iSmoothRun app. It is supported on both watch and on iPhone. So when my watch failed, I used the iSmoothRun app on my iPhone to record runs, cycling, even long walks.

Can’t you add the Dexcom complication to your Apple Watch 6 watchface? It might not display in the workout app but at least you should be able to easily switch to it to see BGs?

When my watch failed I looked into switching to my Garmin watch to display BGs. I have a Forerunner 935 which I use to track cycling workouts on Rouvy on my Saris trainer (thanks again, Carlos, with helping me figuring out the bike trainer!). Rouvy connects to Garmin Connect, and Garmin Connect connects to Apple Health! So I have all workouts in AH. Speaking of Garmin, are you using GitHub - Artificial-Pancreas/garminWatch: All watch faces and data fields for Garmin and iAPS to display your BGs on your Garmin device? I plan to build it for my FR 935 but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Yes, Garmin battery longevity can’t be beat, certainly not by Apple Watches. My AW 9 is working very well though. I used the iSmoothRun app to record a 4 hour walk this morning and it used only 20% of the battery. That is with lots of BG checks into the Loop app on the watch (which I also have configured as a complication, so just a wrist twist allows me to see my BG). I have the always on display disabled, but it still displays whenever the wrist is twisted to view. The advantage of AW is definitely its integration with AH! Garmin has it but it is still a bit iffy, at least with my device.

1 Like