Anyone lined up for the dexcom G7?

@Shecamp, do you see any difference between the G6 and G7 adhesive? I also have the allergy and am still on the G6.

I use Tegaderm for my overpatch, cutting it from a 4 inch roll. It’s so big it doesn’t really matter if it hits a little to the side.

3 Likes

I always use Skin Tac before I put on any Dexcom product. It was such a bad allergic reaction with the G6, don’t want to give G7 a chance. Have a little pouch with Skin Tac, Remove and Dexcom Overmatches that go everywhere with me when I travel. Don’t get any trouble going through customs as I explain my Dexcom and Omnipod Dash first. Guess I’m too afraid to use any diabetic tool without Skin Tac. C’est la vie. :thinking:

1 Like

I put this together in an attempt to aid G7 overpatch application. The fundamental problem (that this tool will struggle with too) is that the patch hole is nearly the same diameter as the G7. So its really easy to catch on the sensor as its applying .

If you try printing one, start with the first ~quarter inch and make sure it prints in the correct diameter to slip easily but snugly over the G7. If there is too much slop you’ll never get the patch on straight.

2 Likes

Has anybody tried covering the entire sensor with athletic tape? I do this now for g6 and it doesn’t affect the signal to my phone or Omnipod at all.

I don’t like the idea of a clear green tape in daylight if I was wearing short sleeves- too much of a skin cancer risk.

2 Likes

btw, just for clarification. I thought also that the tape would b green, but its not. That green that you see is the plastic that you peel off once you have put on the overpatch. Once you pull. that off, the atch is totally clear.

7 Likes

I think the sports tapes come in multiple colors, even flesh tone. If so, you could color coordinate some what, either compliment or contrast!

3 Likes

I hate over patches and never use them. Is skintac not enough?

2 Likes

I’ve used the g7 for about 8 months now, and have always used the overpatches simply because it seems so much smaller than the g6, and they are included. my advice is to try it without and see if it stays for 10 days, if not, go from there…i have tried skin tac, but for me, it doesn’t seem to matter…there are instances where i put the g7 on areas of my arm that did not work(too close to the elbow), but dexcom always replaced the sensors with relative ease

2 Likes

I swim, so the overpatches are almost manditory for me. If i am not planning on swimming i dont use them bc there’s no point. I find that although they are handy and come with the packaging they arent neccessary bc its so hard to pull one of those suckers off anyway.

3 Likes

Well I had my first real G7 disaster last night. I was swapping the sensor around 9:30pm, putting it on my right tricep as I had many times before. I guess I held the applicator on too firmly, because after insertion it started bleeding profusely out of the sensor hole. Dripped down my arm and soaked through a couple of thick paper towels over the course of a few minutes. I debated over whether I should just pull it off since I’ve never seen that much blood from an insertion before. It started up and read basically accurately, however, so I’ve left it in place for now.

Not sure what other folks would do in that circumstance. I either hit (not grazed!) a vessel or went into muscle or both. It’s sore and a little puffy today. My reasoning for not swapping it out is that the damage is already done and the readings remain mostly ok, so why make yet another hole? But I’d be glad to hear other views. The lost sleep is making me fuzzy and unsure of my own judgment today.

4 Likes

I’ve had a similar situation with blood oozing out of the g7, but definitely keep an eye on the readings and switch it if they seem off…dexcom switched all of my defective g7s, however, i have noticed because of its size, it is a lot easier to hit blood vessels or place incorrectly than the g6…i find it easier or more convenient to replace online, rather than calling

3 Likes

I have done something with the G6 that evidently cannot be done with the G7. I stick the pad to my skin, using the applicator to make sure it is stuck all around. Then I pull the applicator away lifting the skin and hit the button. This has given me the best results and no blood.

I understand that the G7 requires pressing hard before actuating.

3 Likes

I do the same. Works well for me.

1 Like

from my experience, if i stick to non muscular areas, it seems fine, any deviation and it’s an online request to dexcom for a replacement. i usually prefer having the omnipod and g7 on the same arm, but rotation can be limited and am often on the right or left side…making sleeping a little easier, the only time i encountered a lot of issues was when i was trying to put the g7 too low or closer to the elbow, and it always failed…as far as pressure goes, i haven’t had any issues

2 Likes

When I get the rare gusher I sop up the flow until it turns to a leak, then wipe away the leak once or twice a minute until it stops. It’s a nuisance, but it’s over in 10 minutes. The sensor seems to work fine, so I see reason to throw it away.

2 Likes

Kind of important heads up for G7 app users…
Due to the newest software update, audible alerts may be silenced when using Do Not Disturb, even if you allow the g7 app permission to override it. That was a fun way to wake up at 31. Luckily hubby finally woke up to his follow alerts.
Dexcom’s answer is: just don’t use Do Not Disturb.

8 Likes

Had the same problem and called Dexcom Canada immediately. Replacement sent out asap.

1 Like

I tried to get the G7, but my crappy hmo doesn’t cover it till I give them $9,000. Otherwise the cost was $1087 for 3 pods. Yea, so no. And no coupons or otherwise helped. I was using the freestyle libre, but that isn’t covered this year either. Back to using a walgreen’s meter- aka pick n strips.

5 Likes

out of curiosity, i was wondering if your endocrinologist/nurse practitioner has tried a prior authorization…especially for the libre since they covered it before…or find out if hr can help…you could also try testing 10- 20 times per day (your endocrinologist or nurse practitioner will probably gladly write the prescription)using the hmo’s favorite test strips and mathematically the cost should be less than the libre…

1 Like

I am using the AMA Healthcare.gov and work for myself, so I do not have hr.
My 2023 endo prescribed the Dexcom in Jan 2024 to the hmo because the Freestyle was not covered this year. I have yet to visit the new 2024 endo and must wait until June for the next open appt date. I tried to call the company that makes the Dexcom but after 30 mins on hold I was disconnected. I’ve not tried again…

1 Like