Accu-Chek Guide (with flat strip container): First Impressions

I received my free Accu-Chek Guide today (available to any Canadians through the Roche website), and first impressions are that I quite like it! Enough that, if it’s accurate, I’d seriously consider switching.

The strip container is very flat and appears to hold strips in place by pressure, similar to the strip holder @Eric designed. The sample I got only came with ten strips, and unfortunately the container will only hold those ten strips. So I’d buy a full box of strips if I want to use the container. Strips can be replaced after removal, although I’ll have to wait until I’ve used all the strips to see whether a totally empty container can eb refilled. The Guide meter has a strip eject button on the side so that you can eject strips straight into a garbage or sharps container without having to touch them.

I put in a single Contour Next strip (with the others) and it does fit, but it doesn’t slide in smoothly like the Accu-Chek strips and I’d be worried about damaging the Contour Next strips over time. Also, the design of the container makes me wonder whether the Accu-Chek strips are specially designed, because there doesn’t appear to be any deccacent in the upper half where the test area of the strips are housed. The Contour Next strips are wider than the Accu-Chek strips, so another brand of strips such as One Touch may fit better. I like how the Guide strips do not rattle around at all, even while shaking the container, and I like how you can turn the container sideways, upside down, drop it, or toss it around with the lid open and no strips fall out.

The screen of the meter is excellent. It seems brighter than my Contour Next One. The meter has key beeps, which I quite like. It also has a strip light that seems brighter than the one on the Contour Next One. It’s a millimetre or two thicker than the Contour Next one, but they are both similar in weight. The Accu-Chek Guide has tactile markings on each button, which I like because the buttons are flush with the housing, so otherwise it would be difficult to use in the dark (or with low vision). The readins on the Guide are significantly larger in font than those on the Next One. The meter has a strip eject button on the side so that you can dispose of strips wtihout having to touch them. The meter has Bluetooth, though I have not tried connecting with anything yet.

I tested on each meter and the Guide said I was 7.8 mmol/L while the Next One said I was 9.2 mmol/L. My Dexcom, which wanted callibration, said I was 8.5 mmol/L. So the meters seem accurate for between-meter accuracy (they are within 20% of one another). I’ll do two or three tests in a row over the weekend and post the results.

I also quite like the case. It’s nothing to write home about, but seems functional and has a light grey interrior which I like as opposed to the all-black interrior many cases have. The elastic piece that holds the meter in place is thin and I wonder about its durability if one removes the meter from the case a lot. But it’s positioned in a way that it doesn’t block the screen or meter buttons, which I like. This seems like a meter that would be very easy to use one-handed while riding a bumpy bus. Unfortunately, it comes with a Softclix lancing device and not a Fastclix (the Softclix also has a lancet ejection feature to dispose of lancets without touching them; the lancets for theis lancing device are also flat and thin). The case, however, accommodates a Fastclix, which completes the one-handed easy operation.

The “Guide” part of the meter name refers to some pattern-recognition algorithms that the meter has. I can’t explore this feature with just one reading. Aside from the pattern recogntiion, it can show your fasting, before meal, after meal, bedtime, or overall average; the percentage of readings within your target range for the above times (fasting, before and after meal, bedtime, and overall); and the number of high and low BGs (probably for those time periods as well).

Here are some pictures. Ask me any questions you would like to know.

Accu-Chek Guide meter, flat strip container, and Softclix lancing device in case

Accu-Chek Guide strip container alongside Contour Next strip container; the former is about half as wide as the latter

2 Likes

Thanks for the review!

I have often thought about getting the container and using it for my strips, but I wasn’t sure if they would fit.

Are they only made to hold 10 strips? Do they make a version that holds more?

The ten strips were just because this was a free promotional meter. I think there are usually 50 strips per container.

That’s worth getting just for the holder.

1 Like

I just did another test on the Guide alongside my Next One:

Next One: 5.2 mmol/L (93 mg/dl)
Dexcom: 5.1 mmol/L (91 mg/dl)
Guide: 4.8 mmol/L (86 mg/dl)

All pretty close, I’d say.

3 Likes

I have one that I like for running because of the holder. It won’t fit any other type strips that I have.

@CarolynA, question for you. In the past I’ve used Accu-Chek meters for when I swim (the Mobile that has its own cartridge of strips), but have stopped using it because the strip cartridges stop working they expire. Is this a problem with the Guide, do you know? It wouldn’t be a problem if it’s a meter that you use to test many times each day, but if only using it for a handful of tests each week, it definitely creates issues.

Hmmm I don’t know. I will look and see if I have any expired strips and test this.

Just saw this on eBay. Don’t think you can beat the price.

2 Likes

Just bought a box of Guide strips. They come in boxes of 100, with two containers of strips per box. I paid $75 Canadian before taxes (I didn’t get it covered by Pharmacare, but will try submitting to my insurance). Two Guide strip containers are the same size as one Contour Next container.

Speaking of strips, one thing I like and one thing I don’t. The blood-filling area line is oriented so it runs entirely along the front of the strip rather than up the strip’s length. This means that you don’t have a tiny dot or line to aim for, but can touch your finger to the strip anywhere along its bottom edge to have the blood sample sucked up. On the downside, the strips do NOT allow a second chance at filling. If there’s not enough blood, you get an error message to test again with a new strip. I’m still waiting to find out whether you can use strips after their expiry date with this meter (which you cannot with other Accu-Chek meters I’ve tried).

3 Likes

The Accu-Chek Guide with strips is so thin I can slip it into a flat pocket my bag of medical supplies as a backup meter. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One more downside:

After using the meter consistently for a couple days (testing 4-6x a day)&I have about 300 strips, so am going to use it as my main meter for a bit to see if I like it—the area of the case strips are stored in is already bloodstained. I can’t seem to get them out. I’ve never had any other case get blood stains. Maybe that’s why they make them all black…

3 Likes

Hi @Jen, are you still using the Giude? If so, any more impressions about the Guide? I’m switching to the Guide because insurance requires I now use accu chek products. Thanks for the detail review with pictures!!!

2 Likes

Just confirming that the test strips DO continue to work after expiration!

This is the first Accu-Chek meter I’ve come across where the meter doesn’t lock you out from using the strips after they expire.

:slight_smile:

(Of course, I’m not suggesting anyone use expired strips…)

1 Like