Accu-Chek

Got a letter from my PBM today that they are switching to Accu-Chek products and offering to send me a free meter of my choice and initiate the strip RX with my doctors office.

The three meters they offer for free are the Guide, the Aviva Plus, or the Nano… it appears that each of these use a different strip. I don’t know which other meters they make have cross compatibility with the same strips… At first glance none of their meters particularly appeal to me— the nano is the smallest, which I like , but it says it will be discontinued in 2019. They seem to be hyping up the Guide model…

How many of you use acku-chek meters and strips? Which ones? What do you think of their stuff? What are the pros and cons?

1 Like

I recieved the same letter. Interested to hear any feedback.

I suspect a substantial number of diabetics in the USA might be getting the same letter…

1 Like

We used the Aviva meter for more than a year. It was a good reasonably accurate meter. We like the Contour One Next meter more, but the Accu-Chek was more accurate than the One Touch Ultra 2 that we used for a year as well.

Is the Aviva the same as the Aviva Plus? At least in terms of which strips they measure?

I think so, and I also think that we may have been using the Aviva Plus, but in any case. It was plenty accurate enough for us, i.e. not a random number generator like the One Touch product. But the Contour One Next seems better overall. If my insurance changed, I would feel fine using the Accu-Check Aviva plus.

1 Like

I really wish more manufacturers would get the idea to make small compact meters, some of these things are the size of a deck of cards it looks like… kinda silly when we carry them around 24/7

1 Like

I’ve used the aviva plus meter. Accurate meter, but large as you say. I’m pretty sure it’s designed for the older T2 user, given the size and ease of use.

Here’s my fairly detailed review of the Guide (be sure to read additonal posts from me in that thread, as I add additional details/impressions).

I ended up moving back to the Contour Next One because I prefer it and can carry 100 strips in its container. But the Accu-Chek Guide was fine as far as accuracy is concerned, and the meter/strips/lancing device were fairly compact.

I used the Nano briefly years ago but can’t remember much about it. I think I mostly got it because at the time it came with the Multiclix lancing device. It has a chip in each vial of strips, and once strips expire, you can no longer use them. My Guide strips haven’t expired yet, but I plan on testing them once they do to see if they work. (I used an Accu-Chek Compact Plus and an Accu-Chek Mobile in the past, too, both of which had the expired strips issue. That’s really my biggest complaint about these meters.)

I liked the Guide enough that, if I was forced to use it, I wouldn’t be too upset.

1 Like

Thanks Jen!

Me too… another nice letter from Caremark.

I was thinking of choosing Aviva plus. I have used one similar, and thought it was ok.

@MM2 - I just looked up Caremark formulary and it appears that Accu-Check was removed?

Caremark (CVS)
Formulary Drug Removals
October 2018

Diabetes Supplies, Test Strips and Kits
Formulary Drug Removals:
ACCU-CHECK STRIPS AND KITS
BREEZE 2 STRIPS AND KITS
CONTOUR NEXT STRIPS AND KITS
CONTOUR STRIPS AND KITS
FREESTYLE STRIPS AND KITS
All other test strips that are not ONETOUCH brand

Formulary Options:
ONETOUCH ULTRA STRIPS AND KITS
ONETOUCH VERIO STRIPS AND KITS

We previously used the One Touch Ultra with our Animas Ping as the meter was also a full remote for the pump so it was super convenient and the strips seemed good. We had no complaints.

However I do like the Contour Next One meter and strips better and do not intend to switch back. PBM or no PBM.

Being on the Dexcom G6, our strip usage is fairly low. If the PBM doesn’t want to provide the Contour Next strips anymore then I will just pick them up on Amazon. I see 200 Contour Next strips on Amazon for $42 which is 21 cents per strip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106LF0X4

It’s new 1/1/2019. Accu-check isn’t covered until that date.

Correct. My letter specifically said to not order strips until 2019, and need new script from doctor.
But the meter would be provided for free, by contacting them now, with choice of meter. In past I have gotten free meter every time they switch.

Anyone impacted, with auto refill scripts will need to cancel 2019 fills of one touch.

1 Like

I like contour next also, and occasionally buy from Amazon.