Accu-Chek meter

I have been pleased with my Accu-Chek meter for several years, but was getting a little concerned about accuracy with the age and the crack down the middle of screen. Looks like there wasn’t a reason for conern, but probably still good to replace and have spare.

(Old meter on left)

4 Likes

I like old stuff!

5 Likes

Interesting, I have the “old” meter but I just got it last year (!). My fingerstick averages are predicting my A1C well so I don’t think I’ll switch quite yet. I’ll probably go to a Contour when I do but I only want to run one brand of meter at a time to simplify the electronic recordkeeping. Liking the MySugr app has kept me with Accu-Chek so far.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a meter to use in my kit that I carry with me everywhere. I am currently using the TruMertix GO which is very small and fits on the strip vial. It comes with a very small lancet device. I was hoping that the Contour Nest One, but it has to fit in a modified plastic pencil box that also contains food and glucose tabs. It appears to be too thick.

I found that it is 14.9mm thick, that just might work. I doubt Medicare will pay for the strips as I have a Dexcom. They seem to buy into the hype that CGM users never need to do a finger stick.

2 Likes

The Freestyle Lite is also a very small meter, and fairly accurate.

The strips are a little more expensive, but if you are primary interested in using it for when you are away from your house, I imagine you would not need a ton of strips.

This one might fit.

Randomly found web picture here:

3 Likes

They may still make it. It is “old” to me, maybe not to Accu-Chek. Sorry for the confusion.

2 Likes

That’s the one I keep around as a ‘backup’ for the Libre3.

1 Like

Accu-chek Aviva has apparently been retired. I discovered this because I was having difficulty finding test strips. Here’s a screenshot when I went to the Accu-chek website to try and find some info.

These are what I use. Pretty happy with them.

2 Likes

Here is announcement.

ACCU-CHEK GUIDE ME REPLACES ACCU-CHEK AVIVA PLUS | Diabetic Outlet.

2 Likes

I’ve used the Accu-chek Aviva for a long time and have been very happy with it. But, due to it’s retirement, I switched to the Contour Next EZ on @Eric 's advice.

You know how hard it can be to switch meters! Anyway, the Contour Next EZ is about the same size as the Aviva, and I’m happy with it. The only slight downsides for me are:

1. The EZ has a “soft” case, and I like the Aviva’s “hard” case. I can’t switch cases because the EZ has a tapered shape, and it doesn’t fit correctly in the band that holds the meter in the “hard” case;
  2. The Aviva’s test strips come in containers of 50, while the EZ strips come in a container that’s the same size, but only contains 35. Feels a little “chintzy” to me.

Other than that, I’m happy with the switch to Contour Next EZ. Thank you @Eric !

3 Likes

@CarlosLuis
I just got a call yesterday from ADS (my Dexcom supplier), about my most recent fill of test strips (through my pharmacy insurance provider). They asked if it was a 30 or 90-day fill, as Medicare won’t cover test strips and Dexcom at the same time. I told the truth and said it was 90-day. ADS said they will have to delay my Dexcom shipment or they will have to bill me for the Dexcom supplies (as Medicare won’t cover). Basically it turns out that I will be better off paying for test strips out of pocket. However, this is the first time this issue with Medicare re: Dexcom vs. test strips has come up, and I’ve had the Dexcom since 2019??

Is this a new Medicare rule??

1 Like

I had the same issue with my private insurer (not medicare) - they wouldn’t pay for test strips because I had a Libre2 (now Libre3). Stupid, because the CGM itself instructs you to double check the calibration with a finger stick for the first day or so. I ended up just buying the test strips on Amazon. Hooray for the ingenious medical minds in charge of managed health care! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t know, Jan. I have been buying my strips and meters out of pocket for maybe 20 years with only 7 on Medicare.

I just waded through this, without learning anything.
https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11022-Medicare-Diabetes-Coverage.pdf

1 Like

You can buy vials with 50 strips for the Contour also. That’s what I get.

3 Likes