When is it time to get a new glucose meter?

I am wondering how to decide when it is time for a new blood glucose meter. Recently I’ve been getting a wide range of readings from my meter, so much so that I’ve started taking multiple finger sticks at the same time. I hate wasting strips!

For example, I suspected that Dexcom was not giving me accurate readings. It was quite noisy, jumping up 5 then down 3 but staying around 85-100. My first finger stick showed 63 whereas CGM was showing 93. I decided to test again. This time my meter (Abbott Freestyle Lite) showed 77. Wow, big difference, so I tested again. Now it showed 92! Frustrated I tried another meter which I happened to have, it showed 84. Who to believe??? Incidentally, now my CGM is showing 86 (and I did NOT calibrate) and seems to be less jumpy. Is it time to just get a new meter?

4 Likes

A lot of the time the strips can be wacky. If it happens with different vials of strips, and you are following the testing rules of clean and dry hands - it might be time to get a new meter.

Meters can get old.There can be crud inside of it, poor electrical contacts, etc. I have had some that lasted almost 10 years! But eventually they get crappy.

How old is yours? Since those are only about $30, it might be good to get a new one. They might even warranty it for you, if you call them. They make money on the strips, not the meters. So often times they will just replace them for free.

5 Likes

I used the strips from the same vial and got pretty wide range of results. I think this one is about 5 years old. I’ll give them a call and see if they will send out a new one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So it is also possible you have a lousy vial. Maybe try a different vial.

I think the key is - several tests a few seconds apart should be very close!

3 Likes

Good point. I think this vial is actually new! Yes, in some cases, the test was with the same finger stick blood!

2 Likes

I verified it isn’t the vial of strips. So, I called Abbott. They said they would send a control solution to test the meter, but they would not send a new meter 'til I tested it with the control solution! He suggested that I signup for their free meter on their website! Of course, that entails having my Dr write a prescription for a retail pharmacy so I can pickup the meter. Unfortunately, my Dr now charges for any prescriptions written outside of appts! IMHO, Abbott provides unacceptable customer support. :grimacing:

1 Like

Control solution is one of the biggest wastes of time ever made. The range it gives you is ridiculous. The meter will definitely fall within the control range. But that doesn’t tell you anything.

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yes! I certainly don’t want to waste time relying on the faulty meter either! Not worth paying $$$ to my Dr for a meter prescription either. I could buy a new one at the local pharmacy I guess but not sure I want to stay with Abbott after their response!

2 Likes

I like having the option of using the PDM’s built-in meter for when I am not at home. It is just much easier than needing to carry a different meter when I am out. For that reason, I am maintaining scripts for FreeStyle. If I did not use a PDM, I would just go all-in for the Contour Next.

Since strips for the Contour are cheaper than FreeStyle, it makes sense for me to have my scripts with the FreeStyle rather than the Contour.

But for you, if you are never using the PDM and always use your phone, might make more sense to just go Contour for everything, right?

3 Likes

OMG, this is horrible to hear! I simply email/call my doctor and he will call in anything I need.

I went on AMZ and bought a new meter for about $10. But I use the Bayer Contour Next One meter. I LOVE IT. I think I have quite a few hanging about the house in all different locations, including my “go bag,” which is on call 24/7 :wink:

I also went through a period where I was having trouble with my meter. I thought it might be the battery, but it was not. I called up the company and was extremely forceful and obstinate with them until they agreed to send me out a new meter for free. And YES, Eric is 200% right; the companies don’t make their money on their meters, they make their money on their strips. (we can really get suckered in by that one, so beware.)

my fingers are crossed for you. They only meters that I know are that inaccurate are all the models made by One Touch. Completely unreliable and completely inaccurate. No 3 readings are even close to one another. Even when using the same drop of blood. :crazy_face: IMHO, stay away from that brand if you want any kind of performance accuracy.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I am thinking, too. I no longer use the PDM at all. So no need to really stay with Freestyle. I’ll probably just pay cash for the Contour til I next see my Dr in Sept. Thanks for helping make up my mind!! I always appreciate your view! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Look up and check out my last post, right before your response to Eric. He was the one who recommended the Contour to me, and I have been one very happy camper ever since I bought my first one.

1 Like

Wow, that is affordable, and I’m glad to switch from Abbott!! Thanks for confirming that Contour Next is a good choice! !

2 Likes

I have no experience with he “classic” FreeStyle meter; however, I do have a FreeStyle Libre Reader for my CGM, and it has a meter built in. So, I figured I would buy some strips and test it out. It was as bad and inaccurate as the One Touch. Don’t know why such a discrepancy with the same company.

Which Contour Next meter? I checked Amazon and I see a few models … EZ, One?? Which is recommended? Thanks!!

2 Likes

btw, I didn’t like the lancet device that came with the meter, but I admittedly still use a 20 year old OneTouch Lancet device (probably the only product the company made right). Its about 3.5inches long and has a strong spring mechanism and a depth selection ( 1-9 ). It lasted so long that I just bought another one on AMX, but it was quite (disturbingly) pricey ($30 or so !!! But I bought it anyway bc it has been proven to b that good)

(also, bc it is so small, I can slip it into my “homemade” meter wristband (that Eric made for me) when I run, and I don’t even feel it or notice that it is there.)

2 Likes

The Contour Next One meter is my choice and was Eric’s suggestion. I find that it is most accurate and lines up well with my A1c %

3 Likes

Thank you, @daisymae and @Eric!!

2 Likes

Contour Next One, this one:

Amazing little meter

3 Likes

I also use the Contour next One and am fully satisfied with it. At $10 (or less, I think my last one was like $6.70 from a 3rd party seller at Amazon) I just replace it when the battery runs out after 2 or 4 years. But have not been taking many fingersticks because the CGM works so well for me. I wonder how quickly the battery runs out for someone like dm who can take dozens of measurements in a day.

3 Likes